• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Stormwind said:
[Lay on hands on Ladreth (5hp) and herself (10hp)]
[Place Alchemical flare stake into undead corpse (use more if necessary to burn all the bodies)]

Generally 1 per body, but I'll say you can use 2 for the undead.

What of the Burgomaster's corpse?

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

"Ashlyn, did you see anything unnatural with the burgomaster's corpse?" Marot says to the lady paladin with some concern on his face.

"Did you see any bite marks on his neck, or possible causes of death? Or was it too badly eaten and disfigured?"

He walks over to the corpse of the burgomaster and takes a quick, untalented in the ways of healing, look at the body.

Afterwards, he keeps looking over the wand, trying to figure out how to activate it or find some insight to what it does.

stonegod

Janis recalls her previous examination of the Burgomaster's corpse. The man had been dead at least a week when the group had found it, and decay has definitely set in. There were no marks on the body. Ashyn's expansive knowledge undead suggests that most spawned undead would have risen long prior. It is likely the corpse is 'safe'.

stonegod

s@squ@tch said:
Afterwards, he keeps looking over the wand, trying to figure out how to activate it or find some insight to what it does.
Marot can randomly UMD the wand, but he'll have to pick a target (and area, an item, a creature).

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn examines the burgomaster's corpse, then turns to Marot and replies, "I would have expected the burgomaster to rise well before this if he was indeed to rise as one of the unliving. In short I would conclude that his corpse is exactly that ... a corpse, nothing more."

She then turns to the rest of the group "I think perhaps we should place the burgomaster back in his coffin and carry it outside, and then prepare a pyre for it. I would suggest we then quietly speak to both Ireena and her brother about what has happened and invite them back here before we light the pyre. Perhaps it would be best if I were to speak to them. This is their home and I would rather not be at odds with either them or the townsfolk ... it would make our work here unnecessarily more difficult."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith nods at Ashlyn's suggestion. "I agree. The children of the Burgomaster should get a say on how or when their father's body is sent to the beyond."

He then glances at the paladin as she gahters the items found and begins putting them in with the rest of their "treasure". He raises a hand to her. "Lady Ashlyn, I would hope we wouldn't claim those items discovered down here as our own. The pen, the cuff links, the wand... these were items that were interred by family members with their beloved. Taking them just because the bodies were moved from their original resting place strikes me as nothing more than graverobbing."

He steps over to her. "It might be a longshot, but I would much rather try and first ascertain the names of the people who we got these items off of so that we could deilver the items to their descendants... and if that was not possible, at least give them to the town's new Burgomaster... foolish as that girl Ireena might be... so that she can perhaps send word to those who might be able to identify which families these heirlooms belonged to."

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn nods back at Jarrith, "Of course, I hadn't even considered it but of course you're right, I think that trying to ascertain the true owners or their descendants would be for the best"

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Chaotic

Marot listens to the words from has Flamic brother while he looks at the wand.

"Jarrith, while if we could identify the items as belonging to a specific person, I think it would be a grand idea to talk with their relatives."

"However, how do we even know if these undead creatures were townspeople beforehand -- perhaps they set up down here due to the proximity and bountiful supply of food. These items,"
gesturing to the wand and bracers among other things,"could even have been taken from people they killed in Barovia, or wherever they came from."

"Basically, what I am saying, is that if we can find the true owners relatives, great, but from the looks of things down here, I doubt we will have anything to go on, besides the name 'Milosh'. Hopefully the burgomaster knows of someone that was named Milosh, but if not, then we should not refrain from using this for the greater good."

"Regardless, we should be having this discussion above ground, in the fresh air, rather than in this disgusting, dank, earthen tomb."

James Heard

Explorer
"Whatever you're about chatting like old women, do try and finish it before you succumb to the smoke," Janis says exasperated, stalking off to the surface.

stonegod

After a brief administration, Ashlyn tends to the wounds of the Ladreth and herself. Taking the Burgomaster's body and their other findings, the group retreats to the surface.

On firm ground, the group is met by Ireena. She has put on a more conservative garb, a bit more color having returned to her. Apparently, a meal did her good. She looks at the group brightly when they emerge, then takes on a more somber tone when she sees their burden.

"What did they do to Father!"
She rushes to the Landreth. She tries to wrestle the body away, but only manages to clumsily---and painfully---tear a few hairs from the halfork. "Put him down!"

Remove ads