• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storms of Change, Part 2

Thels

First Post
"Dunno much about it." Zanock replies to Manzanita. "A man came up to me and offered me a horse and this letter. Since I hadn't any plans yet, I figured I could just as well check things out."

Ordering a large pint, Zanock sits down and listens to the others.

Hurricain

First Post
Devan will stick with the group mostly, he will also try to find out more information on the silient traders and the bounty with shadow.

GPEKO

First Post
Bert

silentspace said:
They immediately engage Bert in discussions about his travels. They pull Bert to the back, eager to add his notes to their travelogues.
"Well, I made my way here with a caravan, acting as a guard ..." Filbert goes on and tells them about his journey to Carodan, in details. He doesn't mention the reason of his presence here (the letter) as he doesn't know yet what this is really all about. "... and the centaur gave me this, to mark me as a friend. The day after, we made our way here without much troubles. I guess we had enough before. Ohh, and one last thing. Master Sturdy Stalthas, the proprietor of the Riverfolk Brewery and Inn, in Muck, was really a great host but he is having some problems with bandits taking tolls on the Rillathane bridge. Perhaps you ... err we could offer them some assistance, to keep the trade route more secured ?"

silentspace

First Post
At The Slashing Sword...

Manzanita and Alyssa approach the barkeep and proprieter, who is a fat human male with a broad smile named Lagren. Manzanita pays 2 gp for a private room for her and Alyssa, and in a conversational way drops the names of her companions. The barkeep doesn’t look like he’s heard of your names before.

Dunathar, Devan and Zanock order drinks and stay with their elven female companions at a large table not far from the bar. Dunathar studies the crowd.

Devan asks Lagren, the barkeep, if he knows anything about the posting for Shadow, or the Silent Traders. “The Silent Traders eh? Their guildhouse is in the warehouse district. Unmarked, of course, but it’s not too hard to figure out which one it is. They’re merchants. Don’t know much else about them. Me, I’m a simple man. I don’t deal with trade agreements and such. I just run a simple tavern and inn, that’s all. Shadow’s some sort of mercenary rogue, as far as I know.” Devan gets the feeling Lagren knows more, but isn’t telling.

“The man who posted that notice comes in here pretty regularly. Red-haired human fellow who goes by Allard. You can’t miss him, he wears all red. Always has his red helmet nearby too.”

Adromon orders a drink and wanders off on his own. He finds a quiet corner giving him a good view of the main room, and settles in with his back to the wall, drinking his ale and observing.

More people start to come in, mostly human, elven, and dwarvish laborers, their workclothes covered in dust and sweat. Off-duty soldiers start to come in also, settling down in large groups to eat and drink.

A group of seven mixed human and elven warriors enter, wearing violet cloaks. They cause quite a stir as they enter, as many of the soldiers look up to eye them with looks of distaste. As they stride into the tavern, their cloaks open and you see they wear violet tunics over their armor. On the front of the tunic is a swirling spiral of yellow, surrounded by yellow stars. You recognize this as the symbol of House Hulvan, which holds the Duchy of Rogan. These men are House Hulvan’s soldiers, part of the Duke’s forces. They find a table and settle down with drinks.

House Hulvan is a member of the Council of Five, the five noble houses which rule Shillen, but they have not been involved much in local politics, either in Rogan or in any other part of the kingdom, until they assumed control of the Duchy after Duke Dharnan’s death.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
At the Temple of Fharlanghn…

Lewellyn and the acolytes listen to Rowyn and Filbert with interest. The acolytes take notes busily, pulling out various scrolls and maps and making annotations on them.

“You’ve had quite an adventure coming here! Alas, there is not much the Temple of Fharlanghn can do these days to keep the roads safe. The bandits and other dangerous creatures have become so numerous there is little we can do, although we will continue to help when and where we can.” Lewellyn pauses, his eyes studying your armor, weapons, and gear, before continuing.

“There are, however, some things you may be able to help us with. The first is a continuation of our mission to study and explore. The wilderness to the north is going through great changes. Ricsten, the Warden of Carodan, has been sending troops into the wilderness to slay the evil creatures there, to prevent them from joining Goruka if and when Goruka invades again. At first Ricsten was successful, finding lairs of orcs and hobgoblins and wiping them out. But now the denizens of the wilderness are wary, and take greater care to be secretive. We once knew much about the area, but now we know little. If you are heading that way, any information that could help future travelers would be welcome.”

“There is also something that concerns not only Fharlanghn’s temple, but the temples of Hieronious and Ehlonna as well. I am talking about the Cult of Hextor. Hextor’s cult is growing here in Rogan, and we believe the increase in bandits and brigands is not a coincidence. Hextor’s cult is growing in the wilderness as well. Any information you can give, or anything you can do, to help stop the growth of the cult would also be welcome.”

“I would not normally make suggestions such as these to supplicants, but I feel you are people with a purpose. Or perhaps, people looking for a purpose.”
Lewellyn smile brightly. “And what purpose could be greater than increasing the glory of Fharlanghn?”

Seonaid

Explorer
Rowyn nods. "Glory be to Fharlanghn. I will do what I am able. For now, I am able to make this small offering." She digs out 15 gold pieces and drops them in the offering bowl closest to her, smiles at the priest, and then collapses not entirely gracefully, sinking into a meditation prayer.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita Sparrow

Manzanita rests her hand on Zanock's forearm. "Keep a low profile, my friend. Soldiers like to drink, I believe, and should be left well enough alone. I've left my name with the innkeeper, so if my employer wishes to contact me, he should be able to. Meanwhile, shall we try to make some money as mercenaries?"

GPEKO

First Post
silentspace said:
“And what purpose could be greater than increasing the glory of Fharlanghn?”
Bert smiles. "Well spoken, brother. I can only see one thing, make more people see the truth behind our great God vision thought this might is also be 'increasing the glory of Fharlanghn'. But I disgress ... I will also try to provide you with some information about the northern wilderness, the fate of Ricsten or the cult of Hextor." Seeing Rowyn's generous donation, Bert will equal it, also giving a 15 gp to the temple. "Would it be possible to stay and rest in this holy place tonight and perhaps a few more days ?"

OOC: I can't remember if Bert knew that Rowyn was a worshipper of Fharlanghn. Seonaid ?

Seonaid

Explorer
Rowyn, gnome bard 1

Rowyn looks up and smiles at Bert. "Perhaps the Dweller has put us on this mission together. I hope that we can accomplish it as well as figure out whoever our generous anonymous benefactor is--and what he or she wants with us," she finishes a bit somberly.

[OOC: I believe she did mention it to him.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads