Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Now that many of the streaming services are realizing that they just can't spend tons of cash on content to boost subscriber numbers and profit matters I think it's only a matter of time before the number of services implodes. Personally, I can't wait.

Look at the CW. From what I understand, as a network, it was never profitable but it made money licensing their shows to Netflix. Then the decision was made to bring all of those shows in-house and stop licensing them and then the CW was really unprofitable and it started collapsing and it was sold off. They could have continued making money by licensing their content but chose not to. Sony has TONS of content but doesn't have a streaming service; I wonder why? The current deluge of streaming services is, hopefully, unsustainable.
It's basically the 1999 dotcom crash all over again: "Yes, we're all losing money throwing all this stuff online, but we'll eventually make a profit off it somehow!"

Zardnaar

Legend
It's basically the 1999 dotcom crash all over again: "Yes, we're all losing money throwing all this stuff online, but we'll eventually make a profit off it somehow!"

The Uber approach.

Anyway for me I like Amazon's prime vacation catalog. It's great for older shows terrible for new ones. Bosch us one of the better originals thebe gad and Grand Tour/Clarkson Farm

Otherwise it's mostly legacy stuff (Bond, Blackadder, Top Gear, Married With Children, Highlander).

Disney+. New stuff has neen kinda meh Star Wars has been good. Here we get Star so it's been pretty good for us. Bad Batch, Mando, Andor recently various legacy stuff. Gave up on MCU after eternals and Loki?

Netflix. Comes bundled with isp almost free ($3 a month essentially). Usually has something randem and 1-3 great shows a year. Lately that's veen Shadow and Bone and the dream master show whose name I forget.

We also get a bit of stuff free here on TVNZ on demand eg alit of Trek, Dr Who, Taskmaster, Halo.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Amazon has Rings of Power, Vox Machina, Fabulous Ms. Maisel, Upload and a bunch of other good stuff.

The problem is it's buried under mounds of garbage, including plenty of Amazon originals like Jolt, which manages to show what a miracle it was that Jason Statham's Crank ended up being a fun movie, by stepping into every possible way the concept could suck.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Amazon has Rings of Power, Vox Machina, Fabulous Ms. Maisel, Upload and a bunch of other good stuff.

The problem is it's buried under mounds of garbage, including plenty of Amazon originals like Jolt, which manages to show what a miracle it was that Jason Statham's Crank ended up being a fun movie, by stepping into every possible way the concept could suck.
Yeap, and RoP and Vox are not really that good at all. Prime has a long ways to go.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

My personal hawt taek- Crank and Crank 2 are two of the best movies of the 21st century, in that they perfectly capture something indefinable yet important about the rise of the videogame culture in the same way that Repo Man perfectly translates the music of the the post-punk scene of the West Coast of the early 80s.

Also? Jason Statham finds the living head of someone he thought he killed, and then punts it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My personal hawt taek- Crank and Crank 2 are two of the best movies of the 21st century, in that they perfectly capture something indefinable yet important about the rise of the videogame culture in the same way that Repo Man perfectly translates the music of the the post-punk scene of the West Coast of the early 80s.

Also? Jason Statham finds the living head of someone he thought he killed, and then punts it.
Yeah, Crank should be terrible, but is delightful. I am honestly more than a little suspicious of anyone who watches it and doesn't come away with a big grin on their face.

2. HBOMax (August: 4, November 3, 2022: 8)

-Apparently greenlighting a Harry Potter show, based on the original books, which is just not a great look, at all.
Honestly, despite what folks online want, the Harry Potter brand is in a strong place and isn't going anyway. It just had a very successful video game launch and looking towards another megahit video game via lego, the only hitch the brand itself has had (not counting the creator) was Fantastic beast and where to find them. And depending on they do it the show could also be a hit.

Hex08

Hero
I ran across this article today. It's not exactly scientifically rigorous but they asked 1000 of their readers what streaming services they used and here were the results (I'm not really sure what is supposed to be in 4th place):

Amazon 70.8%
Netflix 61.5%
Paramount+ 52.3%
48.4%
Disney+ 43.5%
HBO Max 37.6%
YouTube 36.7%
Apple TV 29.3%
Showtime 11.7%
Peacock 5.6%

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper