D&D 5E Strixhaven: Orientation

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs. Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures...

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs.

Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.13.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.16.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.06 PM.png

The Bibloplex contains most of the information in the multiverse. Plenty of other locations fill the book, such as Captain Dapplewing's Manor, a mansion built for the university professors. One adventure has the PCs breaking into the manor. Another adventure involves the main Strixhaven student sport, Mage Tower.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.23.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.22.35 PM.png

No, nothing like Harry Potter at all. These adult wizards are just very, very childish even though they're attending University. It's just a coincidence that as adults there's a coming of age story, childish hi-jinks, and a plot against the school that only the children, er um, adult students can resolve.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I want to run a game where the players are the faculty.

but also I’m thinking a collection of university buildings and locations could be very useful in many other of my games.
Yeah if I do get it I’ll be taking bits from it for my Eberron games for sure.

I also have exactly one concept for a FR game after the one I’m running that I took over when a friend moved away, that could use some school locales and stuff, and an international school for promising youths in an alt history game.

No, nothing like Harry Potter at all. These adult wizards are just very, very childish even though they're attending University. It's just a coincidence that as adults there's a coming of age story, childish hi-jinks, and a plot against the school that only the children, er um, adult students can resolve.
Are 18 year olds adults, or just big kids let off the parental leash?

Last edited:

Now all the humanoid races are adults when they are 18 years old, and not like in AD&D where you couldn't date that sexy elf because she was only 49y and dwaves couldn't drink beer until the 60y.

Howards without lord Vordemont is a quiet place, but Stryxhaven have designed to be source of adventures even the defeat of the big-bad-guy.

+

Both Strixhaven and Witchlight are ostensibly being pushed as major D&D releases for the general fanbase. No "This is for a younger audience" PR speak around them.

WotC must feel that there is an audience worth perusing with these two releases.
Of course. If you were 12 years old when Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published, you're 36 years old today. The original readers are adult geeks, hopefully with money to spend on D&D products that evoke that milieu.

Remove ads

Remove ads