D&D 5E Strixhaven Twitter Previews

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Maybe, maybe not, but it should also be said this is a MTG crossover. I ignore those by default. :)
And I can understand that. I didn't like the Ravnica book very much because I just don't think it works as a setting to have a campaign in. I much preferred Theros, and will probably prefer Strixhaven to either of those. Different tastes. I just think it's dishonest when people say that D&D is becoming "sanitized" or "kid-friendly" (as if that were a bad thing) when we literally recently got a Horror book, a Horror Adventure, an Adventure in Hell, and are getting terrifying monsters in Fizban's, like the Elder Brain Dragon.

I'll add, interesting how the Owlin race, from the MTG Plane of Strixhaven, references the Feywild, which is a D&D Plane. Subtle crossing of the streams there.

That doesn't seem subtle to me at all, and it's opening a huge amount of questions.

I'm not as surprised by Gnomes, I had a feeling that they would weave D&D races into Strixhaven when the book only has one race. I also think Arcavios has a second continent to explain where races not in the MtG set come from.

I a

Last edited:

Azuresun

Adventurer
I think I can understand why. Looking at these previews, the concept seems so far removed from the usual D&D fare that I'm left wondering if maybe it would be better off using a different game system. That said, I am somewhat excited about the prospect of playing a Harry Potter style D&D game. I'll reserve judgment until I've read the book.

Everyone says Harry Potter, but A Wizard of Earthsea was also set in large part in a magic school.

And I can understand that. I didn't like the Ravnica book very much because I just don't think it works as a setting to have a campaign in. I much preferred Theros, and will probably prefer Strixhaven to either of those. Different tastes. I just think it's dishonest when people say that D&D is becoming "sanitized" or "kid-friendly" (as if that were a bad thing) when we literally recently got a Horror book, a Horror Adventure, an Adventure in Hell, and are getting terrifying monsters in Fizban's, like the Elder Brain Dragon.
Doctor Who says hi.

Remove ads