Sultans of Defensive Smack

gfunk

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
The troll's regeneration is an extraordinary - not supernatural - ability.

This is why polymorph grants the regeneration.

The errated version of Polymorph Other does not allow extraordinary abilities, only "natural" ones. Shapechange (9th) is required to obtain Ex abilities.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
ah - but all "Extraordinary abilities" are "natural for that creature"...

Write this one off to WotC boondoggle - I have seen so may re-written versions of polymorph that it isnt funny.

BTW sigil -
Monty Python references are kewl...
But I was thinking along the lines of Karate Kid ...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
SR = 11+14 from Drow
11+10 from Forsaker (stacks)

I'm waiting for the errata on this one.

gfunk said:
The errated version of Polymorph Other does not allow extraordinary abilities, only "natural" ones. Shapechange (9th) is required to obtain Ex abilities.

At some point in time, a troll's regeneration was considered a natural ability. I don't know if it is now or not; is there a list of natural abilities in the latest version? I just can't keep track any more. :(

Somewhere there is an AC smack over 160
I don't have details, but it involves a Monk/Wiz/Duelist Sun Elf

Currently on the last page of the smachdown thread is a saving throw smack with all saves over +40

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
DM with a vengence said:
Somewhere there is an AC smack over 160
I don't have details, but it involves a Monk/Wiz/Duelist Sun Elf

Currently on the last page of the smachdown thread is a saving throw smack with all saves over +40

These are both in the Smack thread as I recall. The +40 save smack is mine, but it's not a standalone smack as much as a response to a qeustion. The standalone save smack was written in response to mine, and has +60 or better to all saves, I think.

gfunk

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
ah - but all "Extraordinary abilities" are "natural for that creature"...

Write this one off to WotC boondoggle - I have seen so may re-written versions of polymorph that it isnt funny.

:confused: Huh?

By that logic you should get all the supernatural abilites too! I mean what's more natural for a dragon than a breath weapon! Extraordinary is extraordinary, when it is labeled with an Ex designator you don't get it.

Archer

First Post
Ooze have no intelligence and are always neutral. I suppose you could ignore the fact that ooze don't mate and therefore could not have half dragon offspring. It has no hands or mouth so do you just ignore every aspect of the half dragon template except for immunities?

I don't see how you can have half dragon ooze, plants, constructs or undead even though those types are technically corporeal. Corporeal creature should mean something with all six standard attributes and not plants. You don't look at a cornfield and say look at all them creatures.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
By that logic you should get all the supernatural abilites too! I mean what's more natural for a dragon than a breath weapon! Extraordinary is extraordinary, when it is labeled with an Ex designator you don't get it.

breath weapons be Su ... not EX - look again dude.

Su = magic
Ex = no magic

you don't get the Su unless you use Shapechange. This is the "K.I.S.S." stratagem I use with respect to these spells and what you get and what you don't.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Agreement!

Magus_Jerel said:

breath weapons be Su ... not EX - look again dude.

Su = magic
Ex = no magic

you don't get the Su unless you use Shapechange. This is the "K.I.S.S." stratagem I use with respect to these spells and what you get and what you don't.

I must vehemently agree with you on this one (even if I am in vehement disagreement on another thread). :D

Precedent:
Su - shut off by AM field.
Ex - not shut off by AM field.

(using PH descriptions, not erratta'd versions)
Su - not given with Polymorph, given with Shapechange
Ex - given with both Polymorph and Shapechange

Given the way an AM field works, it seems consistent to say that "natural" abilities are those labelled "Ex" and "non-magical." Supernatural abilities are just that - "Su."

My personal fix was that I Rule-Zero'd Regeneration to always be a Supernatural ability. :cool:

--The Sigil

reapersaurus

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
I'm waiting for the errata on this one
Well, if the Forsaker is erratted, it will be a euniched class.
To have to swear off ALL magic, and only get SR of 11+Forsaker level would be pathetic, and make him a pushover for any mage his level.

Remove ads