Sultans of Defensive Smack

DM_Matt

First Post
Once the million and a half ways to make something that regenerates immune to everything that can deal damage is complete, here are the finishers:

1. An undead template: My favorite is Akutenshi, but Lich and other work too. vampire has too many special vulerabilities. This will sometimes add DR, but most importantly grant immunity from instadeath spells, subdula dmg (which is key, as all physical dmg will become that, and compulsions and eliminate a need for food, air, or sleep.

2. Make him immune to disintegrate: either a spellblade or the Chosen of Mystra template will do.

Al

First Post
Incidentally, the axiomatic barbarian is a no-no: axiomatics have to be lawful...but assuming it's fiendish instead, you could use an SR smackdown.

Failing that, you can use negative levels without spells. Just summon a few spectres, incorporeal TOUCH attack (what's it's AC without armor?) and knock off its levels.

Or just throw the towel in and use Imprisonment: the no. 1 anti-smackdown tool (no save, no SR: isn't it just wonderful?)

Ziggy

First Post
DM_Matt said:
Once the million and a half ways to make something that regenerates immune to everything that can deal damage is complete, here are the finishers:

1. An undead template: My favorite is Akutenshi, but Lich and other work too. vampire has too many special vulerabilities. This will sometimes add DR, but most importantly grant immunity from instadeath spells, subdula dmg (which is key, as all physical dmg will become that, and compulsions and eliminate a need for food, air, or sleep.

Undead is nice, but there are a couple of pitfalls:

1. The Vampire only works on humanoids, and most smacked monsters are usually outsiders or dragons. So that wount go. I don't now about the Akutenshi (OA ?), that might work.

2. You suddenly become vulnerable to to all the Cure/Heal spells, and you don't want that. Mass Heal is a extremely nasty spell for ndeads.

Thus IMHO the undead template is bad for this type of smack.

DM_Matt said:

2. Make him immune to disintegrate: either a spellblade or the Chosen of Mystra template will do.

That is not a bad idea, but with the SR45 its kindof overkill. It's probably useful if you got a couple of levels to spare. But it'll go do badly with the Forsaker levels in the above smack.

Al said:

Incidentally, the axiomatic barbarian is a no-no: axiomatics have to be lawful...but assuming it's fiendish instead, you could use an SR smackdown.

You are absolutely correct, I did in fact notice that in another tread, but forgot it here. But fighter works equally well with the forsaker, so if you want axiomatic you can go that route.

Al said:

Failing that, you can use negative levels without spells. Just summon a few spectres, incorporeal TOUCH attack (what's it's AC without armor?) and knock off its levels.

Or just throw the towel in and use Imprisonment: the no. 1 anti-smackdown tool (no save, no SR: isn't it just wonderful?)

These are very good suggestions, and pretty hard to counter.

The undead template would fix the spectres, but that's not the way to go (see above). So I guess we'll have to go for half-celestial, a "Protection from Evil" will at least take care of the summoned spectres. I can find no easy way around normal spectres, if anyone has a good idea, I'm open for suggestions....

Imprisonment is certainly a hard nut to crack, I guess the only reasonable solution is the good old Anti-Magic Field. Beeing a Forsaker that is definitely hard to do youself, so I guess the old "pixie in the backback"trick is needed here.

Of course we are definitely far into the realms of the improbable here, but it's still fun to do these exersises :)

.Zigy

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
Ziggy said:
On the awakened forsaker you'll have to beat SR45. That is pretty much impossible with an unsmacked character. Now if you could find a death spell without SR....
interesting that a pyro axiomatic blah blah blah hydra doesn't even have as much SR as a drow forsaker:
reapersaurus said:
And just for a quick SR Smackdown, off the top of my head.

Drow Fighter4/Forsaker10
SR = 11+14 from Drow
11+10 from Forsaker (stacks)

SR = 46

James McMurray

First Post
How does becoming a viable target for damage from Heal become a bad thing? If you're not undead you're still a viable target for Harm. Sure, Mass Heal has range, but you can get range for Harm with a metamagic rod.

Ziggy

First Post
James McMurray said:
How does becoming a viable target for damage from Heal become a bad thing? If you're not undead you're still a viable target for Harm. Sure, Mass Heal has range, but you can get range for Harm with a metamagic rod.

Well, while you definitely *can* add range to Harm, not everybody is running around with a meta-magic rod (or is a Hierophant). But every high-level cleric worth his holy symbol will have mass heal.

The other disadvantages with undead are

1. No CON, less HP. Not really a big issue with these monsters.
2. Vulnerability to turn undead. Especially for the Hydra this is a big problem, it only has 5-12 HD, and unless you get a lot of turn resistance it is easily turned. A high-level cleric with the right equipment might even kill it outright.

And you must find a undead template that can be added to outsiders (Vampires wont do).

.Ziggy

Orco42

First Post
reapersaurus said:

And just for a quick SR Smackdown, off the top of my head.

Drow Fighter4/Forsaker10
SR = 11+14 from Drow
11+10 from Forsaker (stacks)

SR = 46

Not sure if some has pointed it out. But you need to be a Fighter 6 before you become a Forsaker.

Drow Forsakers are great. ;)

Al

First Post
Undead is NOT the way to go...I can picture the scenario now.

Young Priest: 'Archcardinal, there is a Vampiric Fiendish Awakened Ghostly Lernean Pyrohydro Forsaker terrorising the land'.

Archcardinal: 'Thank you for informing me. Fetch my Greater Holy Symbol and may Pelor protect me.'

The battle:
Round 1: Archcardinal uses Sun granted ability to destroy rather than turn undead, maximise Turning etc. Splat goes the monster.

I think the only way to get round it is the Pixie-in-a-Backpack. Antimagic Shell prevents negative levels (supernatural ability) and guards you against the nastiest of the nasties, Imprisonment.

But even that's not infallible: archcardinal can ask his friend, Master Abjuror to turn up with a few Mordy's Disjunction scrolls on hand. And of course you can always kill the pixie or take the backpack.

James McMurray

First Post
[SARCASM]
What? You mean its impossible to create an indestructible character? Oh no!
[/SARCASM]

:)

Sure, being undead has its disadvantages, but so do any of the other ways to go about being a "Sultan of Defensive Smack." Overall, I think that undead status gives much more than it takes away.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
ooh ooh - even better smackdown.

Cleric 20th level with animal domain-
Cast Death ward
Cast Spell immunity (disintegrate, enveneration, energy drain, feeblemind +1 more spell)
Need - way to be immune to acid damage

Cast Shapechange (out of 9th level domain slot)
Shapechange into:

Lernaean Pyrohydra. :)

Short of dispelling/supressing the spells, am I invincible?

Remove ads