• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superheroes of the Trust OOC Thread II

DM_Matt

First Post
This character really needs some work. You have WAY too many Aps. You wont use them nearly often enough. Also, you don't get much from them being Dynamic, since usually you'll be powering down your attacks to keep some other thing working, and thats bad. The multople arrays (one for attack and one for utility, plus maybe separate passive powers on their own) used for Hope are the way to go here. You might just be trying to do too much. You might wants to have a narrower theme than ALL elements, or at least a stylistic preference.

EDIT: Also, look at other builds in the group and at ATT, and switch to a more appropriate format for displaying your stats.

Victim

First Post
You have 23 powers that can go up to rank 11, and 5 out of six stats at 18 or higher. What are your character's weaknesses? And how many of those powers are you actually going to use?

The first power in the array is Area Burst with no base power.

You're not paying for the Dynamic Alternate powers properly either. A rank 11 array costs 22 points, plus 1 to make first power dynamic. So 23 points. And then each DAP costs 2, and you have 22 of those.. So that's 67 points, 44.

Hammerhead

Explorer
You also seem to have multiple ranks of the Wealth feat. I believe that this game (and every other M&M game I've been in :)) dispenses with their clumsy system and replaces it with a Benefit: Wealth.

Also, you have Comprehend 4, which is interesting, because nothing in your characters powers suggests that kind of ability. Also, Comprehend 4 costs 8 points, but you only need Comprehend 2 for all languages. For the same price as Comprehend 2, you could learn more languages though skill points than you'd ever really be likely to need.

kirinke

First Post
Okay, shifted it up a little.

As you can see, her basic ability is telikensis, which she uses to manipulate fire and earth and associated effects. This is because her doctor father is a powerful telikenetic and fire controller and her botanist mother is a powerful earth/plant controller. Way back on her mother's side of the family, there were several strong telepaths, however, in her, this ability is latent, but it's enough to give her the ability to communicate with intelligent creatures and understand the written word.

Eventually, she'll learn how to control air and water. But not at the moment. So, thoughts?

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Selective should be an extra on Obscure, so ranks on that should drop.

She's significantly under PL with Defense 15, Toughness +11 and +10 ranged attack with a lot of level 10 or lower attacks.

Your immunity doesn't have enough ranks to protect against attacks. Fire damage is 5 points by itself.

Flight 8 seems really fast, especially since we have teleports and jets for long distance travel. And you don't have any other movement related abilities to take advantage of it.

Elric

First Post
Selective should be an extra on Obscure, so ranks on that should drop.

You also don't have the sense type of the Obscure listed. In general, Selective Visual Obscure is incredibly powerful and besides the fact it's part of your main attack array, I doubt Matt would let you take it (see: not wanting Apollo to have Invisibility back in the day).

kirinke

First Post
Alrighty, I changed it again, giving her some alternate forms to go along with the theme of fire and earth. As I read the alternate form power, every power point you spend, gives you 5 points to spend on effects associated with the powers. So I sort of followed the Neried example under the alternate form power.

I gave her 3 alternate forms in an array, one that's solid rock, a particulate form and a pure fire form. Because I gave her a rank 10 in alternate form, she has 50 points to spend per alternate form in the array, if I read it right.
I have 1 pp left for fun and games.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
Alrighty, I changed it again, giving her some alternate forms to go along with the theme of fire and earth. As I read the alternate form power, every power point you spend, gives you 5 points to spend on effects associated with the powers. So I sort of followed the Neried example under the alternate form power.

No, it's 5 pp spent on Alternate Form gets you 5 points to spend on the Alternate Form.

What is the great limitation of having an alternate form that would lead you to believe 1 pp spent by your character gets you 5 pp inside the Alternate Form?

kirinke

First Post
No, it's 5 pp spent on Alternate Form gets you 5 points to spend on the Alternate Form.

What is the great limitation of having an alternate form that would lead you to believe 1 pp spent by your character gets you 5 pp inside the Alternate Form?

I misread the example. Changed it again, keeping in theme with her basic powers.
In her independent powers, I gave her regeneration 5 life support and bruised/unconscious with the flaw that she must be in contact with some sort of earth and superstrength 3

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Toughness: 4 Con +12 Force field = 16 Toughness, not 15. But that should still be within PL limits with +6 defense, assuming that the large tradeoff is allowed.

Defense 6, Attack +2 costs 16 points, not 14.

Regeneration KO? That seems unlikely. The second regen slot doesn't mention which recovery rates are being improved. IIRC, DM_Matt has also frowned on regeneration in arrays before too.

With 14 APs, the cost of your main array should be 34, not 33.

Why is the utility array rank 7? You have like 7 points of powers in there at a time. Cost is also wrong for a rank 7 array (but it is correct for a rank 4 array, which covers your needs).

[sblock]
Here is the prelim build mark 3
Character Name..........Titha Akanth (Fire Thorn), locally nick-named by the bad-guys Dambudzo (Trouble)
Concept......................Elementalist
Quotation...................Y'know, I might not be as powerful as some, but I make up for it versatility.
Real Name..................Elysia Helen Achaikos
Identity....................... Secret
Origin.........................Mutant
Allegiance..................Good.
Motivation................. Responsibility
Gender.......................Female
Age.............................25
Height.........................5ft, 9 inches
Build...........................Slender, graceful
Hair.............................Gold-blond
Eyes............................Bright Green
Occupation.................Socialite, missionary
Nationality..................USA, Greece (dual-status)
Ethnicity.....................Caucasion
Initative......................+4
Hero Points................+2
PL/PP.........................11.5/172

ABILITIES
STR....14 (+2)
DEX...18 (+4)
CON...18 (+4)
INT.....18 (+4)
WIS....14 (+2)
CHA...16 (+3)
PP SPENT: 38

SAVES
Toughness: 4 + 12 force field = 15, Fort: 4 + 7 = 11, Refl: 4 + = 08, Will: 2 + 4 = 06,
PP SPENT: 15

COMBAT
Defense: +6, Attack: +2 +8 ranged bonus = 10
PP SPENT: 14

FEATS:
Ranged Bonus +8. Luck +1 Connected. Contacts. Well Informed. Jack of All trades.
All out attack. Critical Strike. Improved Aim. Master Plan. Beginner's luck. Seize Initative.
PP SPENT: 19

Benefit: Wealth Elysia comes from a very wealthy and well-connected family. She herself is a quite successful artist and arcitect.
PP SPENT: +1

SKILLS
06 Concentration (1 pp). +08 Craft Artistic (+1pp). +08 Structural (+1 pp). +07 Diplomancy (1 pp).
+07 Gather information (1 pp). +12 Medicine (2pp). +06 Notice (1pp spent). +06 Sense motive (1 pp).
+08 Stealth (1 pp)
Knowledge
+08 Current Events (1 pp). +08 Earth Sciences (1 pp). +08 Popular Culture (1 pp). +08 Tactics (1 pp).
+08 Search (1 pp).
PP SPENT: 15

INDEPENDENT POWERS
Force Field Rank 12
Comprehend Languages Rank 4
Immunity 9 life support
PP SPENT: 25

POWER ARRAY 1 RANK 10
Telikensis precise rank 09
Continuous Create object (precise. variable, innate) rank 06,
Earth control rank 10
Fire Control rank 10
Visual Dazzle rank 10,
Blast Rank 08 (variable, knock back 3)
Area blast (indirect, variable) rank 08
Earth to mud rank 10
Visual Obscure rank 10
Snare (variable, movable, tether) rank 6
Deflect (variable, reflection, redirection) rank 6
Stone shape rank 4 (innate)
Ignite Rank 5
Melt Rank 10
Nullify electronics Rank 10 (blast of fine dust particles)
PP SPENT: 33

UTILITY ARRAY RANK 7
-Regeneration 5 bruised/unconscious, diehard (-flaw must be in contact with earth)
-Regeneration 5 recovery rate, regrowth (-flaw must be in contact with earth)
-Burrowing rank 7
-Super-strength 3
PP SPENT: 11

[/sblock]

Remove ads