D&D General Surely A Domain of 6 Very Large Baronies would have a bigger size class then Small Earldom and the ruler have a higher title then minor Earl

Omand

Hero
Its actually 6 very large Baronies, not 6 large Baronies

In case you didn't realize the thing that I find strange is that the domain consists of 6 very large Baronies yet its classed as A Small Earldom when I think it should have A Bigger Size Class

Of those 6 very large Baronies only 4 of them are part of his domain but not under his direct control, instead they all have Vassal rulers that indirectly answer to The Earl

The lands that The Earl holds beyond what is in the Baronies that is his personal fiefdom consists of the other 2 very large Baronies that both have Vassal Rulers that directly answer to The Earl
My point still stands whether or not it is 6 large baronies or 6 very large baronies. They are part of the small earldom in your terms.

If this is a small earldom, maybe every other earldom contains 8 - 10 very large baronies.

You keep using non-standard and ahistorical ideas for all of these tables you create, so you can create your own contradictions and solve them the same way.

@Tonguez has already set out real historical precedent for you to consider. Keep in mind as well that a barony might be large, but if it poor land then it is not really that important. Size is not the only determinant of importance or wealth. A very small barony in a very fertile part of the kingdom might be even more desirable than a very large barony elsewhere.

Cheers :)

JMISBEST

Explorer
My point still stands whether or not it is 6 large baronies or 6 very large baronies. They are part of the small earldom in your terms.

If this is a small earldom, maybe every other earldom contains 8 - 10 very large baronies.

You keep using non-standard and ahistorical ideas for all of these tables you create, so you can create your own contradictions and solve them the same way.

@Tonguez has already set out real historical precedent for you to consider. Keep in mind as well that a barony might be large, but if it poor land then it is not really that important. Size is not the only determinant of importance or wealth. A very small barony in a very fertile part of the kingdom might be even more desirable than a very large barony elsewhere.

Cheers :)
It didn't occur to me that a very small barony in a very fertile part of the kingdom might be even more desirable than a very large barony elsewhere. Thank you

JMISBEST

Explorer
These vassal barons that only indirectly answer to the Earl (not the ones who directly answer of course); surely one of them could marry the poor girl?
Ooops sorry I've just realized that I forgot to put in or Baroness's, after all its possible that 1 or more of the vassal rulers is female

JMISBEST

Explorer
To clarify, you made the tables and now you’re complaining they don’t work?

I’m so confused! :D
Its not that they don't work, they do work, its just that when I made the tables it didn't occur to me to allow for making rolls that result in things that don't make sense, such as in this situation were A Earldom that consists of 6 very large Baronies that is classed as A Small Earldom

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Its not that they don't work, they do work, its just that when I made the tables it didn't occur to me to allow for making rolls that result in things that don't make sense, such as in this situation were A Earldom that consists of 6 very large Baronies that is classed as A Small Earldom
Why is it even classified as small instead of just earldom/county? Seems size is largely irrelevant.

JMISBEST

Explorer
These vassal barons that only indirectly answer to the Earl (not the ones who directly answer of course); surely one of them could marry the poor girl?d
Legally The 2 Vassals that directly answer to The Earl are allowed to marry their son to the poor girl but after the way The Baron that's the girl publicly refused to allow the wedding they would we never allow the wedding

JMISBEST

Explorer
Why is it even classified as small instead of just earldom/county? Seems size is largely irrelevant.
To be honest its been that long since I made the tables that I can't remember why its possible for any Earldom to be classified as small instead of just earldom

TheSword

Legend
Well presumably Marquess has to be bestowed on someone. You have a situation here where an Earl has more power and probably wealth than normal, but for some reason the Queen won’t advance him within the court. So what what went wrong.

Did the Earl fail to stop a threat to the kingdom? Did he speak out against the previous king one too many times? Did he spurn the queens hand in marriage back when she was a countess only to have her marry into the royal family.

Or maybe he’s not a very good Earl - his barons are fractious and disordered and planning to break up the Earldom. So they can be Earls.

Sounds like a powder keg.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Out of boredom I used tables A Mate made for Dnd to generate a domain and it resulted in A Small Earldom that's made up of 6 Very Large Baronies that's ruled by A Minor Earl and in case your wondering these tables weren't made by 1 of The GM's I know that I've mentioned many times, rather they were made by me when I helped A Mate design A campaign, that he never used, back in 2,006

But that makes no sense. I mean seriously? A domain that's made of 6 very large Baronies would be bigger, and likely a lot bigger, then A Small Earldom and the rulers title would be higher, and likely a lot higher, then Minor Earl but that’s what the rolls say so that’s what the characters family is stuck with
Tell me you’ve never played Crusader Kings 3 without telling me you’ve never played Crusader Kings 3.

jasper

Rotten DM
Are you standardizing your baron, duke, earl, landgrave, grave, etc sizes. Example a barony has 1k areas. Can a baronry be broke up. 100 acres of Downtown London, +100 acres of oxford, +100 acres of new orleans. I do know sometimes in history the rank did not matter in how much land you were responsible for.

Remove ads