D&D General Surely A Domain of 6 Very Large Baronies would have a bigger size class then Small Earldom and the ruler have a higher title then minor Earl

JMISBEST

Explorer
Out of boredom I used tables A Mate made for Dnd to generate a domain and it resulted in A Small Earldom that's made up of 6 Very Large Baronies that's ruled by A Minor Earl and in case your wondering these tables weren't made by 1 of The GM's I know that I've mentioned many times, rather they were made by me when I helped A Mate design A campaign, that he never used, back in 2,006

But that makes no sense. I mean seriously? A domain that's made of 6 very large Baronies would be bigger, and likely a lot bigger, then A Small Earldom and the rulers title would be higher, and likely a lot higher, then Minor Earl but that’s what the rolls say so that’s what the characters family is stuck with

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
in case your wondering these tables weren't made by 1 of The GM's I know that I've mentioned many times, rather they were made by me when I helped A Mate design A campaign, that he never used, back in 2,006
To clarify, you made the tables and now you’re complaining they don’t work?

I’m so confused! :D

Omand

Hero
To clarify, you made the tables and now you’re complaining they don’t work?

I’m so confused! :D
@Morrus, don't try to reconcile it, just go with the flow. Every post by @JMISBEST contains these kinds of contradictions. Sometimes numbers, sometimes on who did what, or when.

In answer to the OP, there is no contradiction. The earldom contains the six large baronies, therefore it is larger than all six of the baronies combined. The Earl would hold some land beyond what was in the baronies as his personal fiefdom. So no problem at all.

And yes, ditto to what Morrus said. If you created them, you get to handle the results.

Cheers :)

JMISBEST

Explorer
@Morrus, don't try to reconcile it, just go with the flow. Every post by @JMISBEST contains these kinds of contradictions. Sometimes numbers, sometimes on who did what, or when.

In answer to the OP, there is no contradiction. The earldom contains the six large baronies, therefore it is larger than all six of the baronies combined. The Earl would hold some land beyond what was in the baronies as his personal fiefdom. So no problem at all.

And yes, ditto to what Morrus said. If you created them, you get to handle the results.

Cheers :)
Its actually 6 very large Baronies, not 6 large Baronies

In case you didn't realize the thing that I find strange is that the domain consists of 6 very large Baronies yet its classed as A Small Earldom when I think it should have A Bigger Size Class

Of those 6 very large Baronies only 4 of them are part of his domain but not under his direct control, instead they all have Vassal rulers that indirectly answer to The Earl

The lands that The Earl holds beyond what is in the Baronies that is his personal fiefdom consists of the other 2 very large Baronies that both have Vassal Rulers that directly answer to The Earl

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This is not surprising at all really as it needs to be noted that Baron is a title of Tenure ie the Baron holds land by feudal grant from the Monarch, whereas Earl is a title of Rank (a companion of the King) and might not hold much actual land at all.
This is because rights of provincia and comitatus are distinct and so while an Earl might have rights to regency in a Province (provincia) they might personally hold only a small amount of land and wealth (comitatus). Such an Earl would thus be very dependent on the loyalty of the Barons and continued support of the higher Monarchs.

During the anarchy the number of Earldoms rose from just 7 to over 20 as Stephen awarded his supporters in his battles with Matilda. After him it fell to his successor to curtail the power of the Earls, thus making many largely ceremonial and others dormant.

So six very large baronies might exist along side a small earldom, the Earl has rank but the barons hold wealth to balance things out

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
It was gonna be the future king but he was a thief and got captured by slavers since his mother was a slave so that option's gone.
These vassal barons that only indirectly answer to the Earl (not the ones who directly answer of course); surely one of them could marry the poor girl?

Remove ads