• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Surviving Apocalypse!

Post apocalypse, with my knowledge & skills,

• I could survive less than 1 month.

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • I could survive 1 to 6 months.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I could survive 6 months to a year.

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • I could survive several years.

Votes: 30 40.0%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Inspired by my supergeek thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=213902&page=1)...

There is a generally held assumption that gamers are a cut above the norm, intellectually.

No word on how good we are at practical, day-to-day matters, though!

With your knowledge & skillset, how long do you think you could survive on your own after a global, extinction-level-event?

To clarify- the poll assumes you survived the initial event itself- I'm trying to see how you would fare foraging, finding shelter, preventing death due to exposure, poisonous or spoiled food and the like.

Do you think you have the skills neccessary to rebuild civilized society afterwards?

To clarify- do you have skills or knowledge about higher-tier technology than required for mere survival- mining, refining materials, advanced farming techniques, toolmaking, masonry, etc.

Personally, unless I found help, I doubt I'd survive a month, but I think I do have knowledge & skills that would help rebuild civilization.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Given some basic tools to begin with, I can honestly say that I, and especially so with the help of my wife, could provide shelter, clothing and food for years for my family of four. If we can manage to hook up with the in-laws up in Northern Wisconsin, we'd be even better off.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I have the skills required to survive quite a long time. Course anyone can run into a completely unsurvivable situation, that's Murphy for you. But I wouldn't even try to put society back together again. That's far more likely to get one killed than simply surviving.

Darkwolf71

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
I have the skills required to survive quite a long time. Course anyone can run into a completely unsurvivable situation, that's Murphy for you. But I wouldn't even try to put society back together again. That's far more likely to get one killed than simply surviving.
I would have to agree here.

I could survive quite well. Rebuild society? Pass.

Of course I might be around to hunt for and protect those doing the rebuilding.

DMH

First Post
After reading GURPS Y2K (which has very good sections on this subject), I have to say that I would hope for 6 months, longer if I was able to head south to survive the winter. But as the book says- I will die from disease or some other complication due to the absence of modern medicine.

Pbartender

First Post
By the by... http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=13439716330433414598

:D

Your Score: Wastelander
mt1145690328.gif

You scored 60% Survivor, 52% Team Ability, and 50% Pack Rat!

You are a experienced wastelander. You know quite a bit about survival. You usually know what you need, and how much of it you need. You move through towns gathering only your needed supplies. You are friendly to a point, and will help those in need as long as you don't have to go too far out of your way. You may join a group of others similar to yourself but they most likely wouldn't consider you the leader. Your knowledge is still a little limited.

If you die it will probably be in a group setting, most likely with friends, holed up somewhere.

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Survivor
You scored higher than 99% on Team Ability
You scored higher than 99% on Pack Rat

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
"testResultInfo"
Your Score--Alpha Vault Dweller
You scored 84% Survivor, 14% Team Ability, and 53% Pack Rat!
[img ]http://is3.okcupid.com/users/108/804/10980526195526399759/mt1145690368.gif[/img]
You are an extreme survivor. You know everything there is to know about surviving. You are one tough, mean son-of-a-bitch. You care not for your fellow man, he is a burden for which your survival can not afford to bare. You enjoy bunkering down and perhaps waiting for your prey to come to you. Should everything go well, you will survive. However, you most likely will survive alone, and live your life alone. Is it a life worth surviving?

Last edited:

My problem is not my intelligence or skill set, but the fact that I live on the edge of a major city (Houston), have a wife and four children that I am unwilling to abandon to increase my chances for survival, and no rural friends/family. We'd need to get away from the city as fast as possible; our survival would probably be more dependent on circumstance than skills.

Here's what the test had to say about me:
You are a soldier. You know a a good amount about survival, but are still lacking in some areas. You also have a strong sense of nobility and helping other. Careful, this may be your downfall. Your partial to heavy arment and will probaly take foot in a bunker.

If you die it will most likely be because of your good nature. You may offer to go out and search for food, instead of forcing your companions to, and soon find yourself ripped to shreds.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Pbartender said:
Well, according to that test I'd die awfully soon.

Actually, I don't need an internet test to tell me that. My glasses would not last for ever and once they are gone, no replacements mean no eyesight. Not that I would know how to hunt or do anything else useful like that even if I could see to do it.

OTOH, I did make myself a functional crossbow as a kid (my dad went nuts :D). Maybe I'd survive as long as my eyesight did. 1-6 months, maybe.

Of course, I live in a big city, so its probably moot. I'd be taken out in the first wave, anyway.

glass.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
You scored 60% Survivor, 42% Team Ability, and 30% Pack Rat!

mt1145690328.gif

You have a pretty good grasp of survival, and are pretty friendly. You understand the neccessity to help others but not so much as to endanger your own survival. You are also pretty light footed and prefer to travel around rather than bunker down. You will most likely help people along your way if it isn't too far out of your grasp. You might even take up a traveling companion.

if you do die it might be because of your inability to stay in one place at a time. You will however, not die alone, and most likely go down in a blaze of glory.

My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Survivor
You scored higher than 99% on Team Ability
You scored higher than 99% on Pack Rat

------
A little research never hurts....actually increases your chance of survival should it come down to that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads