• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends To Introduce RAGE OF DEMONS and Tile Based Editor

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

sword_coast_legends.jpg

As Dan Tudge says, the game has had its fair share of complaints (it's currently trending at only 20.5% here at EN World). The biggest complaints about SCL - at least as far as I can make out - have been the lack of free DM area creation, and the way the game does not really use D&D 5E rules. The latter issue isn't addressed, but the December update includes:

• Official introduction of mod support, including
  • Tile based level editor
  • Branching dialog editor
  • Adjustable game systems, ex: round timer, loot tables, etc.
  • Community facing development of these features to begin immediately
  • Option to disable monster level scaling in DM campaigns

I don't know if this will mean Neverwinter Nights levels of customization, but it certainly seems to be a major step forward.

The Rage of Demons storyline was expected, and includes tile sets, objects, a tiefling race, creatures, etc., as well as an adventure.

The full list of five major update packs can be found here.

smiteworks

Explorer
While I grew to love NWN and all the successors, I actually remember being disappointed with it at the beginning. I don't know how many other people shared that sentiment at the time, but many of us only seem to think of how well we liked the game after the 2nd and 3rd NWN products hit and helped round out and improve the experience.

Interesting reflection back on disappointment for the game:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-09-neverwinter-nights-retrospective

Similarly, if we go back even farther, I distinctly remember the same sort of thing for Baldur's Gate. RTwP was a poor substitute for the tactical turn-based combat that had been previously experienced in the classic goldbox games from SSI. If you've ever tried to place a fireball so that it only hit your enemies after a combat started in BG, you know what I mean.

My main point is that the expectations for all these games is usually extremely high from the tabletop community and it is almost inevitable that there will be disappointment that the game didn't live up to expectations. With that, however, time tells us that several of these games have lived on to become classics which were enjoyed by a larger population of the gaming community. The games that outright failed were the ones where the developer only put out one game and then ditched it. The simple fact that n-Space is already planning on continued development to address many of the issues raised by consumers tells me that this game could become on that fits into the same category as NWN or BG.

Here are two games I think could have been leveraged into long-term success but weren't:
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
Temple of Elemental Evil

The first one is a bit more of a stretch, but most of my complaints were in the pace of the game.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
In theory, the market of tabletop gamers who will buy a video game is a few thousand, maybe ten thousand or so. Compared to the market of millions of video gamers. You want to cater to the video game fans first. That's understandable. I won't criticize the decision to not lose money.
That is one way to see it. Another is to say that 24 million people at one time played D&D and the game might have been aimed at capturing some of them. http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/06/08/new.dungeons.dragons/

But as Darjr's pointed out, Perkins is designing dungeon levels. Why do that if not to appeal to the tabletop fans? I'm not sure Perkins is that famous in video gamer circles and much of a draw. I could be wrong.

I think they just wanted to double-down on a single familiar region and let other people play with the rest of the world. They settled on the Sword Coast likely before SCL began development. The TTRPG is likely why SCL is focused on that region, and not the other way around.

Doubtful. Again, we've been on the Sword Coast since Murder in Baldur's Gate. And before that, at GenCon 2012, they said they wanted to focus on the Heartlands of the Realms, which is not that far from the Sword Coast. So they likely shifted their plans (or scope) slightly. Likely more for the Neverwinter MMO.
That is interesting. I wonder why they would do that. It goes against what Paizo is doing with its APs and it just limits their options for no real gain. The Sword Coast is vaste, but not that diverse and a lot of iconic FR stuff ain't there. They've already tapped the Underdark and demons for a different feel and those can't be used for a while. Weird design choice if what you suggest is accurate.

Uder

First Post
It's trending downward on metacritic. They need to do something or this could sink them.

Hope the next company makes a D&D game and not a D&D hedge bet.

That is one way to see it. Another is to say that 24 million people at one time played D&D and the game might have been aimed at capturing some of them. http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/06/08/new.dungeons.dragons/
But how many of those are willing and able to play a videogame on current gen consoles or on a PC with moderate to high reqs?

But as Darjr's pointed out, Perkins is designing dungeon levels. Why do that if not to appeal to the tabletop fans? I'm not sure Perkins is that famous in video gamer circles and much of a draw. I could be wrong.
Because targeting the D&D fanbase is easy, and it's effectively free marketing as they don't have to pay Perkins.

That is interesting. I wonder why they would do that. It goes against what Paizo is doing with its APs and it just limits their options for no real gain. The Sword Coast is vaste, but not that diverse and a lot of iconic FR stuff ain't there. They've already tapped the Underdark and demons for a different feel and those can't be used for a while. Weird design choice if what you suggest is accurate.
Well, the first three Paizo APs were in Varisia. And they've set two others in that rough region. If you count the entire west coast of Avistan as being equivalent to the Sword Coast, there have been 7 1/2 APs in that region.

It's also very different as everywhere else in the Realms has seen a LOT of adventures, novels, and the like over 30 years. Many places in Golarion have never received attention. So Paizo needs to spread some love around as there hasn't been much expansion. WotC doesn't need to expand and detail, it just needs to tell stories.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
But how many of those are willing and able to play a videogame on current gen consoles or on a PC with moderate to high reqs?
I do not know, but 24 million is a lot of people. Even a fraction is a lot. I find it difficult they didn't want those. The idea of slapping the D&D logo on it is also done to get people who are familiar with the brand to buy the game.

Because targeting the D&D fanbase is easy, and it's effectively free marketing as they don't have to pay Perkins.
And won't make much of a difference if I understand you. If I get what your saying is that the game wasn't designed with them in mind because they were too small of an audience.

I just think they wanted to appeal to fans, some of the marketing points to that, but didn't do it properly or overestimated brand loyalty. "Stick the D&D logo on it and they will come". Yeah, that worked great with 4e...

Well, the first three Paizo APs were in Varisia. And they've set two others in that rough region. If you count the entire west coast of Avistan as being equivalent to the Sword Coast, there have been 7 1/2 APs in that region.
Those are apples and oranges. Varisia and Avistan was Golarion for a time. As you say, the FR has more than 30 years of material.

WotC doesn't need to expand and detail, it just needs to tell stories.
Where you set them as impact on stories. Like if you tap Thay, Mulhorand and Chult's potential for stories... Oops, they can't. Or they can write stories about plane traveling... Oops, they can't. Tapping Strahd's potential as a BBEG vampire is inaccessable. You get the idea.

I do not know, but 24 million is a lot of people. Even a fraction is a lot. I find it difficult they didn't want those. The idea of slapping the D&D logo on it is also done to get people who are familiar with the brand to buy the game.
24 million people 30 years ago. 24 million people ranging in age from 40 to 60.
Not a great target audience for a video game.

Ehere you set them as impact on stories. Like if you tap Thay, Mulhorand and Chult's potential for stories... Oops, they can't. Or they can write stories about plane traveling... Oops, they can't. Tapping Strahd's potential as a BBEG vampire is inaccessable. You get the idea.
They can choose to move if they want, or leave those stories as ones for home games. Which is a neat idea: suddenly so long as you're away from the Sword Coast or Moonsea, you don't have to worry about official content contradicting your adventures.
Plus, few of the stories really delve into the Realms. They're generic D&D stories that happen to be set in the Realms. It seems unlikely that they'll tell a story that really requires the Realms as a setting as that's harder to move and make generic.
As for Strahd, well they told a Dragonlance and Greyhawk story in the Realms, so it doesn't seem impossible that they'd set Ravenloft there.

Henry

Autoexreginated
24 million people 30 years ago. 24 million people ranging in age from 40 to 60.
Not a great target audience for a video game.

Actually a lot more perfect than you think. Those 40 to 60 year olds have lots of disposable income, and play computer games a lot more than that demographic did 20 years ago. I'm 45 and play plenty of CRPGs - enough to be in that swath they want. The 40 to 60 demographic don't just want fast cars and sports memorabilia any more - they're playing PS3 and xbox ones and computer games, and as evidenced by things like the battletech, shadowrun, and wasteland kickstarters, there's money to be made there.

Grimstaff

Explorer
Count me among those who were really expecting something like a 5e version of the 3e Neverwinter Nights. That game had a great combination of story and system mastery you could take to the table. Luckily I heard the truth (5e "inspired" not actually based on the rules), before I clicked that preorder button.

Why's it so hard to get games based on the actual rules anymore? They used to come out constantly for 1e/2e/3e. Now every CRPG that says "D&D" on it is nearly unrecognizable.

devincutler

Explorer
Doesn't DDO fit the D&D experience bill? How come it's not even being mentioned? I know it is an MMO and not a cooperative game like SCL, but really that's the place to get your D&D experience on the computer if you don't want to retrogame with BGEE or IWDEE.

Corpsetaker

First Post
SCL is aimed at two types of people: current gamers and possible future gamers.

This game is not aimed at the big numbers of hardcore video gamers for the following reasons.

1: Big title: SCL is not a big title made by a big brand company.

2: Visual effects: Let's face it, there is nothing visually stunning about SCL.

3: Type of game: Many many video gamers are not interested in this style anymore. They love either over the shoulder or first person.

Most video gamers are setting their sights on titles like Fallout 4, Halo 5, Call of Duty, etc.... Not saying that games like SCL, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinty Original Sin don't sell, they just don't rack up the numbers to anywhere near the big name titles.

The reason this game has it's sights on current and potential future gamers is because it falls in line with WoTc's current strategy of cross platform gaming and "story, story story". Drizzt is supposed to be making a big debut coming up in SCL which follows the current "Rage of Demons" storyline. They will then offer up to buy more story packs in the game as they come along. It's all tied together.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads