• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends To Introduce RAGE OF DEMONS and Tile Based Editor

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

sword_coast_legends.jpg

As Dan Tudge says, the game has had its fair share of complaints (it's currently trending at only 20.5% here at EN World). The biggest complaints about SCL - at least as far as I can make out - have been the lack of free DM area creation, and the way the game does not really use D&D 5E rules. The latter issue isn't addressed, but the December update includes:

• Official introduction of mod support, including
  • Tile based level editor
  • Branching dialog editor
  • Adjustable game systems, ex: round timer, loot tables, etc.
  • Community facing development of these features to begin immediately
  • Option to disable monster level scaling in DM campaigns

I don't know if this will mean Neverwinter Nights levels of customization, but it certainly seems to be a major step forward.

The Rage of Demons storyline was expected, and includes tile sets, objects, a tiefling race, creatures, etc., as well as an adventure.

The full list of five major update packs can be found here.

Actually a lot more perfect than you think. Those 40 to 60 year olds have lots of disposable income, and play computer games a lot more than that demographic did 20 years ago. I'm 45 and play plenty of CRPGs - enough to be in that swath they want. The 40 to 60 demographic don't just want fast cars and sports memorabilia any more - they're playing PS3 and xbox ones and computer games, and as evidenced by things like the battletech, shadowrun, and wasteland kickstarters, there's money to be made there.

At 45 you're still the young end of the spectrum. People who were <15 at the boom. College age kids would be 50+ and looming grandparents. Yeah there's some retirees who are video gamers but likely not many. Not compared to kids 10-20.

jhingelshod

Explorer
Hopefully they'll also patch the rate your people say their catchphrases when you move them. Or change to the first time you click and then silence every additional click within 5 seconds.

It's a minor point, but it is possible to adjust the probability that party members say their annoying selection lines (right down to 0% if you wish!) in the options menu.

The game got a whole lot better when I discovered that.

Well, do any of you 45-50-year-olds have an Xbox One or PlayStation4 at home? SCL will be launching on that soon, so that's a big market they want to tap.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
24 million people 30 years ago. 24 million people ranging in age from 40 to 60.
Not a great target audience for a video game.
Not an accurate rendering of what they said. It is over the existence of D&D, which also includes people wh played recently. And that target audience is now more tech savvy, as money and might be interested in playing the tabletop game again.

Putting the D&D logo on the game was done in part to get people familiar with the brand. Most likely players and ex-players. If n-Space really didn't want to appeal to D&D players it was just a bad business move. And it does look like that right now.

Grimstaff

Explorer
There has never, in the history of D&D computer games, been a direct port of a D&D ruleset... To me, this is the same crap language edition warriors throw around about whatever version of D&D is not to their liking, as in "4E is a great game, but it's not D&D." BS to that kind of talk.

I'm not sure what D&D games you've played, but as far back as Pools of Radiance, my gaming group at the time all entered our tabletop characters to play in the computer game. And as late as Neverwinter Nights, I literally recreated my 3E fighter ("Gorum the Butcher" lol) for the game, feats and all. I was hoping to do the same thing with this new game, and it has absolutely nothing to do with edition warring, or "crap language" or "BS" or however else you seem to want to disqualify a lot of people's opinions. :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads