D&D 5E Take the Ready action.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
You can't do both. You either take an action or move: "choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it."

Disengaging as your reaction's action wouldn't buy you anything; you just took your action so you can't also move. The only time it makes sense to ready a dash is if you already moved.
Taking the Ready action to Dash when you take your reaction does not allow you to move when you take your reaction.

MarkB

Legend
Here's a question for the room: In the example of "If the goblin steps next to me, I move away," this movement triggers an attack of opportunity as the readied reaction occurs after the trigger finishes, yes?
Yes, but as far as I'm aware, there's nothing preventing you from using the trigger "if the goblin steps within ten feet of me".
The only time it makes sense to ready a dash is if you already moved.
Whether or not you've moved on your turn is irrelevant. Even if you've used up all of your movement on your turn, you can still ready to move, and will be able to move any distance up to your current speed when the readied action is triggered.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Taking the Ready action to Dash when you take your reaction does not allow you to move when you take your reaction.
I agree, but since there’s no functional difference between our interpretation and the one that says Readying a Dash allows you to move your speed, I don’t see much point arguing about the wording.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I agree, but since there’s no functional difference between our interpretation and the one that says Readying a Dash allows you to move your speed, I don’t see much point arguing about the wording.
I think it’s important to understand how things work as there might be other possibilities where an action is granted and Dash is chosen thinking it allows something that it doesn’t.
🤓

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
There might be one actually, - move distance calculation. When Readying to move up to your speed, it is calculated at the moment of moving and when Readying a Dash action it'd otherwise ready extra movement equaling your speed at the moment of taking the Ready action rather than than when moving.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
There might be one actually, - move distance calculation. When Readying to move up to your speed, it is calculated at the moment of moving and when Readying a Dash action it'd otherwise ready extra movement equaling your speed at the moment of taking the Ready action rather than than when moving.
Readying the Dash action doesn't allow you to move when you take your reaction.

jgsugden

Legend
The intent of readying is pretty clear when it comes to movement. You give up your action during your turn to prepare to move when the trigger occurs. You get to move up to your movement when the trigger happens. Anything you attempt to do that extends outside of that realm is highly likely to be rules lawyering that will not be beneficial to the table.

That being said, I am not a DM that is a movement stickler. If you have a 35 foot gap between you and a foe and your speed is 30 and you want to rush over and attack the enemy, I give you ways to do it at a bit of risk. Similar to jumping over a pit that is wider than your strength score, I'll give you a chance to make a skill check to get there. The extrapolation to the 'one at a time 6 second turn' causes all sorts of nonsense that we can push past with a little openness. We all need to remember that 30 feet of movement in 6 seconds is about 3.4 or a roughly 17 and a half minute mile. That is a brisk walk.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The intent of readying is pretty clear when it comes to movement. You give up your action during your turn to prepare to move when the trigger occurs. You get to move up to your movement when the trigger happens. Anything you attempt to do that extends outside of that realm is highly likely to be rules lawyering that will not be beneficial to the table.

That being said, I am not a DM that is a movement stickler. If you have a 35 foot gap between you and a foe and your speed is 30 and you want to rush over and attack the enemy, I give you ways to do it at a bit of risk. Similar to jumping over a pit that is wider than your strength score, I'll give you a chance to make a skill check to get there. The extrapolation to the 'one at a time 6 second turn' causes all sorts of nonsense that we can push past with a little openness. We all need to remember that 30 feet of movement in 6 seconds is about 3.4 or a roughly 17 and a half minute mile. That is a brisk walk.
What skill check do you call for in that situation?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases