Tales of the Valiant Joins The $1M Crowdfunding Club!

I've been waiting to post this article for nearly a month--but Kobold Press has snuck over the million-dollar line in the final days of its Kickstarter for the 5E-alternative ruleset Tales of the Valiant! And with that, it has joined the Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter Club! https://www.enworld.org/threads/million-dollar-ttrpg-kickstarter-club.678540/ Tales of the Valiant was announced...

valiantkoboldmain-600-338-1930146151.jpeg

I've been waiting to post this article for nearly a month--but Kobold Press has snuck over the million-dollar line in the final days of its Kickstarter for the 5E-alternative ruleset Tales of the Valiant! And with that, it has joined the Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter Club!

Tales of the Valiant was announced earlier this year during the Open Gaming License controversy as an open alternative to 5E independent of Wizards of the Coast. In that goal, it joins the existing Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition and Cubicle 7's upcoming C7d20 System. Originally referred to as 'Black Flag', the project's current name was unveiled in April.

Million-dollar TTRPG Kickstarters have slowed down in recent months. At one point last year, they were arriving almost monthly, but there has only been one in 2023 (Shadowdark RPG) until now, with both Tales of the Valiant and Gloomhaven crossing the line in the same month.

Marc Radle

Legend
Personally I am surprised they are closing submissions so fast...
Well, the assumption is that the chance to submit something and the basic details were announced at the start of the KS, so folks who want to submit have had a month to be thinking about it and start getting their ideas fleshed out.

The June 24 - July 2 period is really for folks to tweak, hone, and otherwise finalize their submission.

So, 30+ days should be enough time to put together a 150 word submission, no? :)

mamba

Legend
Well, the assumption is that the chance to submit something and the basic details were announced at the start of the KS, so folks want to submit have had a month to be thinking about it and start getting their ideas fleshed out.

The June 24 - July 2 period is really for folks to tweak, hone, and otherwise finalize their submission.

So, 30+ days should be enough time to put together a 150 word submission, no? :)
Assuming you learned about it at the beginning of the Kickstarter, sure. If you only learned about it towards the end...

My perspective is more that I see no need to have the submissions so early when the book is still 6+ months away (in PDF form). So if people had another month now, nothing would be delayed because of that, as far as I can tell.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, the assumption is that the chance to submit something and the basic details were announced at the start of the KS, so folks who want to submit have had a month to be thinking about it and start getting their ideas fleshed out.

I'm nearly ready.....

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Would y'all consider a link to the chosen worlds preferred website/etc as a "For more information" since it is pdf?

Can you provide EN World readers with a benefit by telling us what percentage of monster submissions where chosen in the last Tomb of Beasts? Like do I need to be top 1% or top 10%?

Marc Radle

Legend
Can you provide EN World readers with a benefit by telling us what percentage of monster submissions where chosen in the last Tomb of Beasts? Like do I need to be top 1% or top 10%?

Well, the judges have to narrow all of the submissions down to the top 70 (for perspective, the Kickstarter for Deep Magic Volume 2, the KS just before ToV, had about 900 backer spell submissions!).

For those of us who have been travelling and therefore away from our various worldbuilding notes etc since the end of May - no!

Remove ads

Remove ads