Talls Strongholds and Followers adventure - Full

TallIan

Explorer
The UA sidekicks? Sounds good.

No, the retainers from the strongholds book.

There are three types of followers, Units, Retainers and Artisans. Retainers are a lot like the sidekicks, but much simpler, and are useful without a stronghold. Units are for attacking or defending strongholds, artisans affect costs, etc of your stronghold so neither are any use until after you get one.

Technically I think you are supposed to have a stronghold first, but since you only get that at the very end of the adventure I might give you one each to try out the mechanics.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm, do we need this PDF to play this? I still remember the old 3.x Stronghold Builder's Guide, and all the fun I had with it. Makes it very tempting to throw my hat in here too. :)

TallIan

Explorer
Hm, do we need this PDF to play this? I still remember the old 3.x Stronghold Builder's Guide, and all the fun I had with it. Makes it very tempting to throw my hat in here too. :)

No, they are quite well designed so that the players don’t need to know the mechanics. Or even participate. The short of it is; you get something to spend your gold on that gives you cool stiff according to your class.

There are also some basic large unit and warfare rules that go well with owning a stronghold.

You’re welcome to join either way.

Not a big fan of the recruit rules. As I argued in the enworld thread about UA-sidekicks, I don't think running two full character sheets is difficult at all. So the whole premise is off for me. Also, if I were to have a companion, I'd want one that complements my abilities, not mirror's my abilities. I find the idea that the recruit hits whenever the hero hits a bit gamey.

Also, I suspect that the health levels will make the companion character unconscious more frequently than tracking hit points would.

But I'll play with the rules if you want to use them. Having a spare character can't hurt. :)

TallIan

Explorer
It’s more to try out the rules, there is a lot of the retainer rules I’m not too keen on but a few bits of it make other aspects simpler.

For me the wound level things makes no sense, you basically made them immune to sustained, small amounts of damage and vulnerable to heavy hitters.

If they aren’t floating anyone’s boat after a few combats I’ll swap them out.

TallIan

Explorer
Talls S&H adventure - recruiting

I just noticed you didn't say point buy, standard array, or roll for ability scores. I'm guessing point buy.

Oops, good point. Yeah I prefer point buy online as the rollers seem to be a bit strange when it comes to abilities.

Last edited:

Remove ads