Technomagicon: Craft Skill (v2) & Ordinary People (v4) [Updated 06Jul08]

EnglishScribe

First Post
Stormhound said:
Fascinating addition, though on page 4 I'm looking at the "Era" list and the examples under "Out of Time" and having a little trouble finding matching names. Electrical Age? Star Age? Steam Age?

Wow, that is one time-travelling table, the examples are from way back before this was even a D20 project :)

The revised table is below, and will be retrofitted into a revised document when suffiecient errata gathers...

Supernatural
Era: 6+ Ahead. DC: +8
For example Fusion Age items in the Stone or Copper Age.

Futuristic
Era: 4-5 Ahead. DC: +6
For example Fusion Age items in the Bronze or Iron Age.

Ultramodern
Era: 2-3 Ahead. DC: +4
For example Information Age items in the Gunpowder Age.

Innovative
Era: 1 Ahead. DC: +2
For example Gunpowder Age items in the Middle Ages.

Modern
The technology is equal, use the listed purchase DC.

Old Fashioned
Era: 1 Behind. DC: +2
For example Mechanical Age items in the Information Age.

Antiquated
Era: 2-3 Behind. DC: +4
For example Gunpower or Industrial Age items in the Fusion Age.

Archaic
Era: 4-5 Behind. DC: +6
For example Bronze or Iron Age items in the Fusion Age.

Ancient
Era: 6+ Behind. DC: +8
For example Copper or Stone Age items in the Fusion Age

EnglishScribe

First Post
Folks, the following is a more detailed breakdown of the skills to be added/extended. Any skill not listed here remains unchanged.

I will update this list as I begin to work through the skills.

Alchemy
Alchemy is a new occupational skill, known as Biochemistry in a modern setting. This covers poisons and cures, chemicals, acids, etc.
Rituals: Formula
Forms: poisons, corrosives, explosives, Pharmaceuticals.
Untrained: Knowledge
Trained: Monster Knowledge - Oozes.
Trained: Demolitions
Trained: Formulate

Artistry
Artistry is a new occupational skill which covers creating imagery and other media.
Rituals: Designs.
Subjects: Cartography, Portraite, Landscapes, etc
Materials: Paint, Ink, Pencil, etc
Medium: Paper, Parchment, Textile, Wood, etc
Untrained: Appraise
Untrained: Sketch
Trained: Monster Knowledge - Shadows.
Trained: Draw

Cook
Cook, known as Nutrition in a modern setting, is a new occupational skill which covers agriculture, food preservation and preparation, diet planning and waste management.
Rituals: Recipes.
Forms: Meals, Travel Rations, Alcohol.
Untrained: Knowledge - Detect poison (common), Identify poison (expert)
Untrained: Prepare
Trained: Agriculture
Trained: Preserve

If anyone has a better name for this skill, please let me know

Craft
Craft is a new occupational skill that covers the creation of non-engineered objects and structures.
Rituals: Patterns
Forms: Common Forms, Weapons, Armour, Fortifications.
Untrained: Knowledge – Identify the design and use of a structure (common), unsound structures (common), artificial underground construction (expert).
Untrained: Appraise
Untrained: Mend
Trained: Monster Knowledge – Constructs.
Trained: Fabricate

Diplomacy
Diplomacy is extended with knowledge options when dealing with organisations and institutions that are not typically represented by Streetwise.

Drive
Drive is a new occupational skill that covers the use of transport of all types

Engineering
Engineering is a new occupational skill that covers the creation of complex objects with moving parts or where the application of force and energy is important, such as crossbows, firearms, and vehicles.
Rituals: Blueprints
Forms: Mechanical, Acoustic, Electrical, Optical, Power Systems, Robots, Computers.
Untrained: Knowledge – Identifying the function of devices (common), operating a device (common), electronic security systems (expert).
Trained: Repair
Trained: Monster Knowledge – Robots, Computers.
Trained: Manufacture

Heal
Heal is extended with equipment and resources for other Eras.

Linguistics
Linguistics is a new education skill, covering language, translation.

Literacy
Literacy is a new education skill, covering writing, forgery, literature.

Nature
Extended is extended with options for working with animals.

Numeracy
Numeracy is a new education skill, covering accounting, finance, code breaking, logic and computer programming.

Streetwise
The Streetwise skill is extended to include options beyond knowledge, dealing with commerce and trade.
Untrained: Haggle – Attempt to misdirect about the market price of an object

Last edited:

bardolph

First Post
Something to consider:

What if Crafting was treated mechanically like Ritual Casting, but with a single key skill (Crafting - Int)? That way, you have a single skill covering a broad range of crafts (which is consistent with 4e), but you can learn different "recipes" or "formulas" to craft different things.

EnglishScribe

First Post
That is what the PDF above already does. The is a single Craft skill (int) which has a some untrianed uses (knowledge, appraisal and mending), some trained uses (monster knowledge and fabrication of common objects), an a set of Craft rituals that add crafting of weapons, armour, implements, fortifications, etc.

Granted Engineering will be a seperate skill covering a wide range of mechanical (and if the campaign world allows) electrical devices such as firearms, vehicles, musical instruments, optics, etc. The intention is for the Engineering skill to follow the same structure as the Crafting skill.

I decided to make the two seperate for a number of reasons:
:1: It makes it easier to remove Engineering from the game without affecting Craft.
:2: It is possible that an engineer may 'create' a device my assembling parts, and thus have no skill in craft.
:3: I beleive that combining the two results in two big a gain for one skill.
:4: Using the two together is simply a matter of having some fo the engineering rituals be dual skill (Craft and Engineering or Craft then Engineering for example.)

I am still open to discussion if the majority think they should merge. Also consider (as I have) whether Alchemy and Cook should also be part of Craft. Does this make Craft a huge mega-skill with much more functionality than any other skill?

EnglishScribe

First Post
Just a quick update to let yo all know that I am deep into adding Artistry as the next skill. Here is a quick snippet:

Sketch (Equipment)
Sketch checks are made record visual information that can later be used as evidence or to aid in a future knowledge check.
Check: The DC depends upon the type of subject and size of the object being sketched. Use the most severe applicable complexity from the table below:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
Subject		Size		Time	DC
Trivial		Tiny or Small	1 min.	10
Simple		Medium		10 min.	15
Reasonable	Large or Huge	1 hr.	20
Complex		Gargantuan	10 hr.	25
[/FONT]

A successful sketch grants a +5 equipment bonus to any applicable knowledge check taken at a later time. If your check is 10 or more above the DC then increase this bonus to +10.
Equipment: If you do not have an artist’s toolkit you take a –4 penalty on Artistry (sketch) checks.

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
Interesting setup, and I like what I see so far. Just one problem: if you're going to have a Lens implement, you need psychic abilities to go with it :p.

Remove ads