D&D 5E Telegraph This

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

I get the basic idea of telegraphing things to the players, but when it comes to specifics, sometimes I'm stumped. Right now, I'm running The Forge of Fury, and there are a couple of things in here that I feel like the players would never think of on their own, so how do I let them know that those things are even options?

*Spoilers follow for The Forge of Fury obviously*

For instance, in the Foundry area, there are some duergar hanging around. They are hostile but are willing to talk if the PCs don't attack first. The text states that the PCs have to make a hard Persuasion roll to find out any useful info, but if they offer a bribe of at least 100 gp, the check becomes much easier.

Is there a way I can let the PCs know that bribery is on the table without just coming out and saying it?

Another example is the animated objects in the Foundry. There's a sidebar that talks about them. They won't attack dwarves. In fact, dwarves can command them to stand down.

There's a dwarf in the party. Is there some way I can give him a clue that commanding the objects is an option, or do I have to just hope that, like in the original 3.5 adventure text, the player just happens to have his character say something like "Hold still, darn it!" and be surprised when the object does just that?

These are specific examples, but general advice on effectively telegraphing things to your players is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jonathan

Maybe have the players make an insight check ( or use passive insight if you make use of that mechanic ) to notice the leader of the duergar eyeing the coin pouch of a couple of the PCs as the duergar ready for a potential fight.

Knowing to command the objects is a much more tough one. You could add a weak duergar to the encounter area who the PCs see commanding the objects to do mundane tasks before initiative is rolled. Also allow for perception checks to point out to the PCs that the objects seem to ignore the dwarf PC when it comes to attacking.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I'm not sure you need to telegraph these things. I look at these kind of things as interesting benefits that the PC might get if they are smart enough. Duergar are known to be greedy, if the players know this they might think to offer them money. If they don't think of it, they don't get the benefit. They are in an outpost created by Dwarves, the background that they probably learned before even going into the dungeon told them that. So, it's possible that they'll think it through and realize that the magic objects created by the dwarves to guard the place might listen to dwarves.

I prefer to let players figure these things out on their own since it rewards thinking things through. However, if you really want to telegraph them so the players take advantage of them, I suggest as Lucas has said above, make them make skill checks of some sort to gain the benefit. Insight checks to realize they are looking at your pouches or Nature checks to know about the nature of Duergar are good ones. Having the animated object specifically run up to the dwarf and then turn away and attack someone else is a good hint. Or just have the PCs make an insight check to tell that the animated objects are going out of their way to make sure their swings go nowhere near the dwarf.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If the players can hear the duregar before they decide to attack, perhaps they can overhear them discussing money troubles, and asking each other how they can get cash, especially "easy money".

The dwarf thing...I think you're stuck, TBH, unless there's some particular way the adventure opens the possibility that such info can be gained- a tome discussing it, for example. The one thing I can think of is perhaps a bard performing at their tavern (or whatever) by telling the story of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"...with different names, of course. At least that way, the concept of commanding animated items will be in their heads.
Character-Meet-and-Greets-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25743.jpg

mflayermonk

First Post
You could drop hints through NPCs (an NPC they meet complains about having to bribe the Duergar). A dropped/found scroll contains instructions in dwarven for commanding the options (an instruction manual). Wall paintings illustrate a dwarf commanding the objects.

Nevvur

Explorer
Not familiar with the module, don't know if these suggestions are even suitable.

Duergar: Have their leader/representative jingle his coin purse suggestively as they're talking, or greedily eyeball a PC's coin purse. If the PCs are still in an area with friendly NPCs, maybe they can overhear someone make an offhand remark about Duergar, "Greedy sons o' slag, they'd sell their own mudders for a copper."

Animated objects: Tough one. Maybe have them move deferentially/apologetically in the vicinity of the dwarf PC as they're attacking his allies. I'm kinda picturing the emotes of Carpet from Aladdin's, corners turned inward sheepishly as if to say, "Pardon me, sir!" before flitting around the dwarf to smother a human. Might be a stretch given the Intelligence score, but it could be considered a 'programmed' behavior. I'm drawing a blank for pre-combat telegraphing.

General advice: For me, a lot of telegraphing is just picking out some curious detail and describing it. Put yourself in the mindspace of the NPCs. I know this is rather vague, but I haven't seen The Big List of Methods for Telegraphing myself. Hopefully we can both learn something as other people contribute to the discussion. I will add that I prefer to err on the side of obvious. As the DM, I know all the conditions of the scenario, so what feels like blunt force knowledge to me might only feel like a subtle hint to them.

If the Duergar are exceptionally greedy, then you might have them obviously staring at any valuables the party has on display. Do this after the party greets them, but before any check is called for.

The thing with the animated objects is illogical, and expecting the players to think of it is unreasonable. Don't mention it, don't hint at it. In the off chance that it happens to come up, let them be surprised.

MarkB

Legend
This sort of thing can be made a reward for performing well earlier in the module. For instance, if the party interrogate or persuade a slave or flunky earlier and do well at it, they learn that the Duergar are susceptible to bribery. If they bribe the Duergar and roll high enough to succeed at a Hard persuasion check, the Duergar let slip that their animated items respond to dwarves' commands.

If you're straight-up treating it as a reward, you don't then have to worry about treading that fine line between "too subtle" and "dead giveaway".

Satyrn

First Post
Maybe have the players make an insight check ( or use passive insight if you make use of that mechanic ) to notice the leader of the duergar eyeing the coin pouch of a couple of the PCs as the duergar ready for a potential fight.

Knowing to command the objects is a much more tough one. You could add a weak duergar to the encounter area who the PCs see commanding the objects to do mundane tasks before initiative is rolled. Also allow for perception checks to point out to the PCs that the objects seem to ignore the dwarf PC when it comes to attacking.
Good suggestions, and it's advice that I'd totally use - although I'd skip the insight check and just describe the duegar looking at the pouch. If I want to telegraph something I'd prefer to just do it, not gate it behind a check.

Not that I wouldn't use Insight, but I'd leave it up to the players' to trigger such a check. If the players take the hint that bribery's on the table, they might try sizing up just how big a bribe it would take, and that's when I'd call for the Insight check. Such an action could save the players a lot of gold.

pukunui

Legend
Thanks everyone.

In the case of the duergar, the encounter will most likely start with them being invisible, so I think I'll have to rely on the PCs knowing that duergar are greedy and perhaps *hearing* the lead duergar jingling her coin purse as she talks to them.

As for the animated objects, perhaps I'll have them act deferentially towards the dwarf PC.

Remove ads