D&D 5E Telegraph This

pukunui

Legend
I find I can get irritated when someone asks for our thoughts and then argues with me over my suggestion. :uhoh: It's why I wanted to acknowledge your consideration.
Thanks. I am certainly guilty of doing that. Sometimes it's because I didn't provide enough information in the OP; other times it's because I have a better sense of what doesn't work for me than I do of what does, if that makes sense.

Satyrn

First Post
Thanks. I am certainly guilty of doing that. Sometimes it's because I didn't provide enough information in the OP; other times it's because I have a better sense of what doesn't work for me than I do of what does, if that makes sense.

Aye, it makes sense.

But now I feel like I'm derailing the thread. :blush:

pukunui

Legend
That's OK. I think I've got what I came here for. If anyone else wants to chip in with general telegraphing advice, that's cool.

That said, it's just occurred to me that there's a much simpler solution to the matter of the duergar being open to bribery: I could just take a page from every detective novel out there and have them use the classic informant line: "That kind of info is gonna cost you ..."

Satyrn

First Post
That's OK. I think I've got what I came here for. If anyone else wants to chip in with general telegraphing advice, that's cool.

That said, it's just occurred to me that there's a much simpler solution to the matter of the duergar being open to bribery: I could just take a page from every detective novel out there and have them use the classic informant line: "That kind of info is gonna cost you ..."

That reminds me. I forgot I was gonna say "you could just have them flat out ask for money." That was back when I was suggesting the players might be able to use their insight to figure out the optimum amount of gold to use.

LotusApe

First Post
Video games that use stealth tutorials are a good example of telegraphing, worth checking out some videos on Youtube for ideas.

One example is Mario games, when you first have to jump there is usually nothing dangerous below, then they introduce spikes or holes. So whenever you meet a new enemy or obstacle you deal with it in a safe way, then it gets more dangerous.

Using animated objects as an example you could have them encounter non-threatening versions before, giving them a chance to interact in a non-stressful environment. Floating mugs of ale that the Duergar are ordering about.

The other thing that happens is seeing another character get stomped by a new enemy. So PCs can see other NPCs bribing Duergar or slaves getting beaten up by objects whilst the Duergar laugh at them.

seebs

Adventurer
Hi all,

I get the basic idea of telegraphing things to the players, but when it comes to specifics, sometimes I'm stumped. Right now, I'm running The Forge of Fury, and there are a couple of things in here that I feel like the players would never think of on their own, so how do I let them know that those things are even options?

*Spoilers follow for The Forge of Fury obviously*

For instance, in the Foundry area, there are some duergar hanging around. They are hostile but are willing to talk if the PCs don't attack first. The text states that the PCs have to make a hard Persuasion roll to find out any useful info, but if they offer a bribe of at least 100 gp, the check becomes much easier.

Is there a way I can let the PCs know that bribery is on the table without just coming out and saying it?

Another example is the animated objects in the Foundry. There's a sidebar that talks about them. They won't attack dwarves. In fact, dwarves can command them to stand down.

There's a dwarf in the party. Is there some way I can give him a clue that commanding the objects is an option, or do I have to just hope that, like in the original 3.5 adventure text, the player just happens to have his character say something like "Hold still, darn it!" and be surprised when the object does just that?

These are specific examples, but general advice on effectively telegraphing things to your players is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jonathan

I think the first question I'd ask is: Why telegraph these things? I leave things like that for things like "I'm pretty good at Arcana, do I have any clue how these animated objects might work?" or "can I use Insight to see what I might be able to do to persuade these guys?"

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Adventurers are almost always decked out in jewelry and expensive-looking gear, so having the greedy duergar comment on how well paid you must be, eyeing off a piece of jewelry or flat-out asking for cash makes sense, as does having them discussing cash woes while the PCs are in earshot.

For the animated objects... have them enter flanking positions with the dwarf PC on other PCs. It should be obvious to a seasoned combatant that the object thinks it is the PC's 'ally'.

Watch a couple old episodes of Deep Space 9 and have the Duergar behave like the Ferengi? Talk about making profit off the party? :)

As for the animated stuff, it has been a long time since I looked through the original adventure, but are the items dwarf-made. Maybe there are some dwarf runes visible somewhere on them that your dwarf could see and read before any other PCs get close enough to have them attack?

Remove ads