• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Chronicles of Amber

ShadowX

First Post
Just finished the first five. I have to wonder why this isn't ranked among the classics of fantasy. Zelazny always wrote great action scenes and this series is no exception. The intrigue is great and the plot twists are amazing yet never incredulous. A must read for any fantasy fan, especially since it spawned its own RPG system. Now for those who remember the book maybe you could help me out. Who was Corwin talking to in the last line of The Courts of Chaos?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
ShadowX said:
Now for those who remember the book maybe you could help me out. Who was Corwin talking to in the last line of The Courts of Chaos?

He's just continuing to narrate his own story. He's a bit melodramatic like that. :)

That's actually one of the things that I love about this series (and the first five books in particular), the use of the first person voice reveals as much about the character of Corwin as it does about everything else. Just the very way in which he chooses to tell his story, in his epic/poetic way is so incredibly interesting to me.

shadoe

First Post
Another wonderfull thing about the series, is that we are never sure how much of what Corwin tells us through his narration is true, or things that he only assumes is true. That little fact opens up a whole can of worms with what is really going on. :cool:

Ryltar

First Post
Just started reading it today, and I already finished Nine Princes ... hooked for more :). So far, I liked it a lot. Not only does Corwin's first person narrative really convey a more interesting look on what's happening, it also is a (very refreshing) change from "standard" fantasy (although now I know where Steven Brust picked that up for his Vlad Taltos saga ...).

Thanee

First Post
To me the Amber Chronicles are the second best fantasy novels ever written (LotR being on the top).

Totally unique and absolutely genius. :)

I love the beginning, when the reader slowly picks up more and more knowledge about what's going on, just like Corwin does. I especially like the part where Corwin talks to his sister, not knowing at all what he is even talking about there, but always trying to make sure she thinks he does. ;)

The Merlin Chronicles (the continuation of the story) are also cool, but cannot live up to the first five books IMHO. I think it has something to do with the mystery, which is unveiled a bit too far there, as the loose ends are being tied together. In the first five books there are so many open questions left unanswered, yet the story feels complete in the end.

Bye
Thanee

nyrfherdr

First Post
Thanee said:
To me the Amber Chronicles are the second best fantasy

The Merlin Chronicles (the continuation of the story) are also cool, but cannot live up to the first five books IMHO. I think it has something to do with the mystery, which is unveiled a bit too far there, as the loose ends are being tied together. In the first five books there are so many open questions left unanswered, yet the story feels complete in the end.

Bye
Thanee

Excellent evaluation. The Merlin Chronicles, while entertaining, don't hold up to the Corwin stories.

Zelazny is considered a classic author, his Lord of Light was award winning and the Amber Chronicles are a favorite of many Fantasy readers, including me.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

SubMensa

First Post
I'm going to chime in here with my love for the Amber series. I read the books after picking up the diceless RPS and loved them. In my opinion they are a must read for any fantasy buff.

Enjoy!

EDIT; Holy crap, I forgot totally about my sig!

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
The CofA are considered among the classics of fantasy.

And Corwin is talking to someone very specific. It will be clear who and why in the last part of the last book of the second series. And spoilerd, just in case you don't want to wait:
He's telling his story to Merlin, his son, to bring him up to speed before Corwin potentially disappears forever.

reddist

First Post
Be sure to pick up "Manna from Heaven" if you haven't already. There is a seires of short vignettes in it concerning a certain event from the second set of Amber books. I found it highly entertaining:)

That book also has a collection of other Zelazny short stories. I consider it a must-have for any Zelazny fan in general, and for Amber fans in particular.

-Reddist

"I was corrupt before I had power." -Random

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Thanee said:

I'll enclose my evaluation of the second books in spoilers for those who haven't read them yet, even though I'm not really giving away much (better safe than spoiled):

I think a big part of it also is the fact that Merlin just doesn't have the sense of the dramatic that his father does, and narrates in a fashion more suited to... well an engineer. Much more dry and technical than flowery prose. Of course, it's perfectly in character.

Remove ads