D&D 5E The classes of 5e (now with 90% less speculation)

Yora

Legend
The 5e Assassin will probably look much more like the 4e Executioner than the base 4e Assassin class. The Executioner was created with the stated intent of being a 4e re-imagining of the 1e Assassin, after all.
And named after the Iron Heroes class? I think that was one of the greatest thing about the game.

LurkAway

First Post
Those who draw the line in the sand about Vancian magic are as much in the wrong to me as those who draw a line in the sand about dragonborn. Both are denying others a chance to play the way they want to play.
So where do you draw the line in the sand? The gnome effect's 10% mark is another line in the sand, after all. If 5E excludes say, the Great Wheel, than Great Wheel lovers are being denied the chance to explore the multiverse they want to play in "core" 5E (or insert another more appropriate example).

Aldarc

Legend
So where do you draw the line in the sand? The gnome effect's 10% mark is another line in the sand, after all. If 5E excludes say, the Great Wheel, than Great Wheel lovers are being denied the chance to explore the multiverse they want to play in "core" 5E (or insert another more appropriate example).
Character options (races, classes) seem of a completely different nature than core setting assumptions.

LurkAway

First Post
Character options (races, classes) seem of a completely different nature than core setting assumptions.
I disagree, but how about Kender then or whatever? Gnomes get to be in the core because 10% of players really want gnomes in the core rules, but Kender aren't in the core because they didn't make the 10% cutoff -- that's a line in the sand that Gnome-lovers are not excluded and Kender lovers are, and denying the fan who really, really wants a Kender in the core rules is being denied that chance, thus the attitude that excludes Kender is apparently "stupid".

Last edited:

DonAdam

Explorer
I really don't think there is any chance that they will make different classes for Fighter, Warrior and Fighting-man :D It's clear that these are just name variations of the same class.

I also really doubt that Priest, Mage and Thief will be separate classes.

Racial classes might be in just as they might be out. It will be a political decision... but may also depend on how solid will be the multiclassing rules and how many options will the corebooks provide for class customization, because there may be little reason for an Elf class if you can make a well-working archer/wizard with some "elvish" extra add-on for example.

My take:

*tentative because I have no idea of what it was
Mystic = Monk from Basic/Rules Cyclopedia.

I think Priest will be separate from Cleric but otherwise this looks right.

Aldarc

Legend
I disagree, but how about Kender then or whatever? Gnomes get to be in the core because 10% of players really want gnomes in the core rules, but Kender aren't in the core because they didn't make the 10% cutoff -- that's a line in the sand that Gnome-lovers are not excluded and Kender lovers are, and denying the fan who really, really wants a Kender in the core rules is being denied that chance, thus the attitude that excludes Kender is apparently "stupid".
Aren't kender considered encompassed in "halflings"? But at least a 10% cutoff uses a criteria of some measure for inclusion. What's the criteria for not including "warlords"? Simply disliking them?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Mystic [Basic]

It should be noted that the mystic of basic D&D is no relation to the mystic of Dragonlance. The basic D&D mystic is more of a monk, while the Dragonlance mystic was a divine sorcerer with a single domain who didn't need to worship the gods.

Aren't kender considered encompassed in "halflings"?

Kender are Dragonlance's halflings. For all intents and purposes, they could be considered a halfling subrace, much as the feral halflings of Dark Sun are.

ferratus

Adventurer
Aren't kender considered encompassed in "halflings"? But at least a 10% cutoff uses a criteria of some measure for inclusion. What's the criteria for not including "warlords"? Simply disliking them?

As a Dragonlance fan, and someone who frequents the dragonlance community, I can tell you that everyone uses halfling stats for kender if you play 3e or 4e.

The only difference is they tack on an immunity to fear, which isn't very gamebreaking. Everything else is an annoying personality that makes you want to strangle the player.

LurkAway

First Post
Aren't kender considered encompassed in "halflings"?
I guess about as much as warlords are considered encompassed in a fighter class with leader option.

But at least a 10% cutoff uses a criteria of some measure for inclusion.
What is the criteria for choosing 5% or 10% or 15% -- they're all arbitrary.

What's the criteria for not including "warlords"? Simply disliking them?
Nope. There are many, many threads about this which cannot be boiled down to a simple dislike.

Aldarc

Legend
I guess about as much as warlords are considered encompassed in a fighter class with leader option.
Monte: To start with we kind of shot at the moon, and said everything that's been in a Player's Handbook 1, we want to potentially have in our new player's book. That includes things like the warlock and the warlord from 4th edition, but also includes the classes from other editions like the ranger, the wizard, the cleric.​
We'll see, and I look forward to see how WotC incorporates warlords, but I think it's best to be respectful about the options that people want and try to look for ways for them to be included without declaring "no warlords" or "no [x] class/race," especially for an edition that seeks to unite editions. Don't forget that.

What is the criteria for choosing 5% or 10% or 15% -- they're all arbitrary. Nope. There are many, many threads about this which cannot be boiled down to a simple dislike.
Lurk, there is still some criteria being established, even if it's an "arbitrary" 5% or 10% line in the sand. What's the criteria again for those who don't want to include warlords again?

Remove ads