• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dream Team

Thanee

First Post
Fusion

Fusion's instinctive reaction upon seeing what's going on is to take a step back.

Damnit, Fiona, you're supposed to be a heroine! she thinks to herself, as she notices.

Then she moves to the side and begins to fight back, punching the closest of the three with her metal-clad fist (or swinging at the wasps instead, if the three don't look like they are doing much of anything, and just fall over after the wasps got out of them).

OOC: Initiative 27 Fortitude 24 Toughness 23 (Rolls).

@Shayuri: There's also the thread in the Rogue's Gallery with the character sheets. ;)

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC to Everyone: Sorry for the hold up again. It was a helluva week at school. I'll aim at getting the combat rolling later today or tomorrow afternoon, depending on how much chores, grading, family, et cetera interfere with important matters. :)

Jemal said:
"Well John, they was big, green, nasty, alien-lookin worms with wings. They blew up into water when I hit them, but not before they knocked over them towers on yer roof... ya tellin me the one time I'm in a bout where I gots a camera T'back me up and It don't even see them? hmmph, just my luck." Rumble frowned as he kept pace with the guards "There was three o them, I followed'em across the city cuz I figured they probly weren't up t'no good, flying around in this weather. When I got closer, I saw what they looked like, den when I tried t'talk to'em, they attacked me an the building. One'a them even got a bolt a lightning close enough ta singe my back hairs. OH, and uh, I may've been a bit misleadin' earlier, my name aint bulletproof, that's just one'a my gifts. I'm Rumble."

"Roger that, Rumble," John says as the elevator doors open. The trip was so quick and smooth Rumble barely noticed the movement. "Right this way, please. Doctor Lasky'll want to speak with you."

The trio move purposefully down the short, brightly white hall. Everything has an antiseptic look and smell. The walls are featureless, without decor of any kind.

"Doctor Lasky's our head honco at nights. She's one of the project managers for the antenna array destroyed up top."

The hall ends in a shiny door that appears to be made of high-gloss plastic. John presses his thumb to an off-white square of clouded glass where the door's knob should be. There is a beep and the door hisses open. Rumble can't avoid the conclusion that John isn't just a rent-a-cop.

On the other side of the door is a circular room with a domed ceiling. The room is about 40 feet in diameter. The apex of the dome is probably close to 20 feet overhead. The farther half of the room's curved wall is covered with computer banks right out of a science fiction movie. Screens flicker, lights blink. In the center of the room are four desks shoved head to head to form a rectangle.

A short, dumpy woman in wire-frame glasses strides up to Rumble. She has some sort of hands-free cell phone shoved into her left ear. Her spotless white lab coat looks freshly starched. Rumble puts her age at about 50, but her distractingly long, luxurious are so incongruous with the rest of her appearance that he can't be sure.

"Thank you for cooperating, Rumble," she says. Her voice is thick and rough, as if she smokes heavily. "That'll be all John. Please maintain current threat level."

"Yes, ma'am."

John and his younger partner exit the room; John uses a thumb-pad to open the door from the inside as well.

"I monitored your conversation with John on the way down," Lasky says. "What would you say was the objective of these creatures you fought?"

Jemal

Adventurer
Rumble nods a goodbye to the security as they leave then turns to the doctor. "Well, seein how they paid more attention to them antenas than t'me, I'd say they was tryin t'stop sumthin. Mighta been they planned on comin in but me showin up they had ta improvise. You guys got anything special going on tonight?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Rumble

Jemal said:
Rumble nods a goodbye to the security as they leave then turns to the doctor. "Well, seein how they paid more attention to them antenas than t'me, I'd say they was tryin t'stop sumthin. Mighta been they planned on comin in but me showin up they had ta improvise. You guys got anything special going on tonight?"

Dr. Lasky looks pensive as she chews on her upper lip. "You could say that," she replies. "The antennae are part of a system that covers half the East Coast. We're trying to develop a more robust early warning system for natural disasters. Let me show you."

She walks over to a group of monitors. They show a sweeping radar image with clearly defined sections of the coast line. Rumble recognizes Chesapeake Bay, Cape Hatteras, and Delaware Bay.

"My field is probabilistic intuition, which is a fancy way of saying I have mild psychic talent trained to filter through seemingly unrelated events in order to deduce likely future events. My colleagues in the meteorology department have worked with the programmers to create sophisticated algorithms that reproduce what I can do, but a much grander scale. These computers process terrabytes of data in order to probabilistically predict natural disasters.

"Right before the attack on the roof, the CPUs were processing some interesting data related to the highly complex fronts that have produced our current thunderstorm. There were inexplicable anomalies, especially centered on these two locations."

Dr. Lasky touches one of the screens. The view changes, showing a magnified section of coastline Rumble isn't familiar with. Two circles pulse on the display.

"This is the Highpoint Lighthouse. It's part of our system. This other circle is an area about twenty miles off-shore due east of the lighthouse. As far as I know, there's nothing there but ocean. Unfortunately, we're no longer receiving new data from the lighthouse, and the rooftop damage has apparently cut us from a few other stations as well."

Jemal

Adventurer
Rumble grins. "Sounds like a job for a super-hero. Lucky for you I Kin fly." He takes a closer look at the map. "So, Lighthouse and then out t'sea, hey? Guess I'll check out the lighthouse first, then head East. Anything else or should I get goin?"

Rumble cracks his knuckles, eager to get underway and onto the possibility of more headbusting.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Fusion, Genesis, Tendril [Round 2]

The entire hall is filled with angry, stinging blood red hornets, each the size of a man's thumb! The three men themselves collapse to the floor, unmoving and apparently unconscious. Dozens of the monstrous insects sting at Fusion, but their wicked stingers don't find purchase in flesh.

Fusion's instinctive reaction upon seeing what's going on is to take a step back. Damnit, Fiona, you're supposed to be a heroine! she thinks to herself, as she notices. Then she moves to the side and begins to fight back.

Fusion's fist prove next to useless. She manages to swat down two or three of the hundreds of wasps, but for everyone she damages or even crushes, there are a score more ready to take their place. No matter where the heroes turn, the air is thick with the hellish insects. Painful stings raise ugly welts on Genesis's skin.

Genesis recoils from the bugs, instinctively drawing on her powers. Sizzling noises emanate amidst flares of waste energy as new plates of metal and composite start to materialize around her armor's weaker points, and another layer of thickness is added to vitals and helmet. As she did, a shape started stitching itself into reality, blazing with light as it went. A small nozzle in her hand, connected by an armored cable to a futuristic backpack.

Tendril screams a warning in Kelly's mind, not words merely a primal primitive sense of panic. But his warning is too late as the hornets get the drop on her. A flurry of green vines lash outwards to attempt to shield her body from damage. "Look out!" Kelly screams to the others as her mind slowly registers what Tendril is trying to say to her.

Tendril fairs worst of all, catching the brunt of the swarm's fury. Her arms, neck, and face become a horrible mass of ugly swelling blotches. No matter how she tries, she cannot stop from being stinged, and very quickly her injuries are so severe that her life is in peril!

[sblock=Combat Block]
Swarms: initiative 28; uninjured
Fusion: initiative 27; uninjured; 3 Hero Points
Genesis: initiative 20; 1 bruise/injury; 3 Hero Points [Impervious 10]
Tendril: initiative 17; staggered+disabled; 3 Hero Points[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
The swarm has already acted. I need new Tou and Fort saves from everyone at the start your hero's turn. Genesis and Tendril need additional Fort saves due to poisoning. If your hero is immune to poison, please ignore. Genesis has her flamethrower up and ready.

Tendril is very badly hurt. She's be staggered and disabled.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Fort: 13 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1410888 , I hero pointed it and rolled a 12! Ah yes, Invisible Castle...I know you hate me. Fortunately that really means it's a 17, since minimum result on Hero point is 10.

Toughness (remember Impervious 10): 31 Natural 20! http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1410892 ...ok, I take it back about IC. :)

Genesis reels a bit from the poison, but her newly reinforced armor keeps the horrible bee-things away from her for now. She holds up the nozzle of the flamethrower and with a whir and twist of the barrel, makes it unsafe.

"Just call me the Orkin girl," she snarls...and the hallway is filled with thick, heavy flames and smoke!

(Rank 5, DC 20, cone area effect that does Fire damage!)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Jemal said:
Rumble grins. "Sounds like a job for a super-hero. Lucky for you I Kin fly." He takes a closer look at the map. "So, Lighthouse and then out t'sea, hey? Guess I'll check out the lighthouse first, then head East. Anything else or should I get goin?"

Rumble cracks his knuckles, eager to get underway and onto the possibility of more headbusting.

Dr. Lasky smiles. "You can fly, but can you make headway against category two force winds? And, if so, how much headway how quickly?" She holds up a hand. "Rhetorical questions. I doubt you're faster than our Stormjumper. John, please get Veronica out of the rec room and have her prep Stormjumper. She needs to get out to the lighthouse with Rumble ASAP." Lasky pauses as if listening. Then, she speaks again to Rumble, "If you'll follow me, please, I'll get you to the hangar and introduce you to our pilot."

Thanee

First Post
Fusion

This won't work... Fiona thinks to herself, then she grabs the plant girl, Tendril, and moves her towards the door, trying to get her away from the swarm of stingy wasps, while Genesis seems to work on some solution to fight them back.

OOC: Fortitude 11 Toughness 26 (Rolls)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads