Spelljammer The Forgotten Realms eats Spelljammer before it even finishes digesting Radiant Citadel!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
An important part of the Eberron setting − used to be − religion is subjective, and each of the different cultures were in their own way right. No culture could prove their beliefs objectively. But each culture could perform miracles by their sacred traditions.

Eberron was doing something important. Something beautiful.

But then came along the gods of the Forgotten Realms and shat all over that.
No they didn't, because you said, "No, that didn't happen in my game." and lo and behold, it was so. :)

There's some seriously faulty logic there. I mean...

Americans are in Russia. Russians are in America. America = Russia. That uses the same logic and is obviously untrue, just like Forgotten Realms = Planescape.
Greyhawk gods were first anyway. Planescape and the Forgotten Realms both have Greyhawk gods in them. So if anything, according to his logic, he actually should be mad at Greyhawk "invading" everything.

(But of course not, not with his axe to grind)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah but let's look at it this way- if Corellon Larethian is killed in a Forgotten Realms novel, does that mean he's dead in Oerth?
I don't think so.

"The divine beings of the multiverse are often categorized according to their cosmic power. Some gods are worshiped on multiple worlds and have a different rank on each world, depending on their influence there."

When you go to an outer plane and see a god, the divine rank doesn't change. For instance, Tyr is a greater god on Toril, so if you go to find him in the house of whatever(blanking right now), he's going to be a greater god. If Tyr on another world is a lesser god, then when those inhabitants go find him, he will be a lesser god in wherever he dwells. That sort has to mean that while there might be a connection, there are bunches of different versions of the gods who are on different worlds. Kill one of those and the others would remain.

Yaarel

He Mage
There's some seriously faulty logic there. I mean...

Americans are in Russia. Russians are in America. America = Russia. That uses the same logic and is obviously untrue, just like Forgotten Realms = Planescape.
In your analogy, the Russians would be worshiping Americans, or viceversa the Americans Russians.

The "world" of Forgotten Realms includes the Forgotten Realms gods that inhabit Planescape.

They are different regions of the same setting.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Official matters.

Matters to me, anyway.
I've never understood that when it comes to lore. Official mechanics(races, feats, etc.) I get, but not lore. It's just way too mutable and easy to change, and really affects nothing outside of itself. For instance, my spelljammer still has crystal spheres and wildspace is NOT part of the astral plane. And done. Super easy and ships can still sail to the astral sea and go to other worlds. Any monsters in the spelljammer compendium that reference the astral no longer do. If they have an ability that depends on it, well it still functions and is powered a different way.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In your analogy, the Russians would be worshiping Americans, or viceversa the Americans Russians.

The "world" of Forgotten Realms includes the Forgotten Realms gods that inhabit Planescape.

They are different regions of the same setting.
No, they aren't. Each of those settings is different. If you choose to have the planescape setting in your game, and then choose for it to be the way you describe, then it is. By default, though, no setting is assumed to be in any given DMs game. Not the realms. Not planescape. Not spelljammer. Not Greyhawk. None of them. None can equate to any other.

Yaarel

He Mage
No, they aren't. Each of those settings is different. If you choose to have the planescape setting in your game, and then choose for it to be the way you describe, then it is. By default, though, no setting is assumed to be in any given DMs game. Not the realms. Not planescape. Not spelljammer. Not Greyhawk. None of them. None can equate to any other.
If someone in the Forgotten Realms visits their gods, then they are in the Planescape region of Forgotten Realms.

Remove ads