Spelljammer The Forgotten Realms eats Spelljammer before it even finishes digesting Radiant Citadel!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Diversity doesn't make everything a Grey mass of a blob.

Not all races go in FR, Warforged don't.

But HUGE part of the Forgotten Realms story is Immigration, from different places, different worlds, weirder places, and how new folks and old mix with the history of Realmspace and its afterlives.

It makes the Realms no more flavourless then then all the wonderful immigration, organic multiculturism, and cultural exchange makes Toronto flavourless, it's the essence of the community and its soul is in its stories and infinite possibilities.

The real world is a "Kitchen Sink" and that is makes it special, instead of one note and unevolving.
Are those our options? Kitchen sink or "one note and unevolving"? Nice to know that campaign settings aren't a spectrum.

Hussar

Legend
Are those our options? Kitchen sink or "one note and unevolving"? Nice to know that campaign settings aren't a spectrum.
But, not a wholly unreasonable point though. Looking at the published TSR/WotC settings, it's pretty accurate.

Darksun, Ravenloft, Al Quadim, Dragonlance - all pretty much one note settings. Note, it's a pretty big note, but, still, pretty one note.

Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Planescape, now Spelljammer - kitchen sink settings.

I'm not really sure there is much of a spectrum there to be honest.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, before 2020, while the multiverse was referenced from the beginning, FR was the default setting in every practical sense.
The entire time, they said their plan was to do what they ended up doing from 2018 and on, though. It was incorrect their plans at the time, because they followed through.

But, not a wholly unreasonable point though. Looking at the published TSR/WotC settings, it's pretty accurate.

Darksun, Ravenloft, Al Quadim, Dragonlance - all pretty much one note settings. Note, it's a pretty big note, but, still, pretty one note.

Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Planescape, now Spelljammer - kitchen sink settings.

I'm not really sure there is much of a spectrum there to be honest.

Not a fan of Kitchen Sink setting, I just don't think it's actually conveys the essence of the settings well.

You know what the biggest, most lore intensive, "Kitchen Sink Setting" is? Earth. "Kitchen sink settings" reflect the complex cultural and social interactions far batter then a setting with extremely tight themes, that don't interact with different cultures and stuff.

Take Theros, it's a fun setting, but the lack of an fantasy Egypt, Persia, Macadonia, Libya, Asia Minor, Rome makes it off, because Greek mythology & history involved other civilizations, cultures, geographic locations, and heck sometimes other cultures Gods even. It's woven throughout Greek Mythology and History and culture.

So having a culturally monolithic Theros feels like it's missing a huge part of Greek essence.

You don't have that issue with fantasy Greece in FR, Chessenta has tons of interactions with other cultures, Mulhorand, Turmish, Unther, Tymanther, etc...,

I think I will call "kitchen sink settings" Multicultural Settings, its more accurate.

Urriak

Explorer
Not a fan of Kitchen Sink setting, I just don't think it's actually conveys the essence of the settings well.

You know what the biggest, most lore intensive, "Kitchen Sink Setting" is? Earth. "Kitchen sink settings" reflect the complex cultural and social interactions far batter then a setting with extremely tight themes, that don't interact with different cultures and stuff.

Take Theros, it's a fun setting, but the lack of an fantasy Egypt, Persia, Macadonia, Libya, Asia Minor, Rome makes it off, because Greek mythology & history involved other civilizations, cultures, geographic locations, and heck sometimes other cultures Gods even. It's woven throughout Greek Mythology and History and culture.

So having a culturally monolithic Theros feels like it's missing a huge part of Greek essence.

You don't have that issue with fantasy Greece in FR, Chessenta has tons of interactions with other cultures, Mulhorand, Turmish, Unther, Tymanther, etc...,

I think I will call "kitchen sink settings" Multicultural Settings, its more accurate.

I wouldn't call multiculteral settings kitchen-sink. The setting of Seven Seas or WFRP are pretty multi-cultural, but they're also not exactly kitchen-sink either as they're pretty well-defined by either genre or tone.

Azeroth (Warcraft) certainly is kitchen-sink. It's obviously very popular so I won't go so far to say kitchen-sink is bad. But it does sometimes feel like too little butter spread over too much bread.

Yaarel

He Mage
Planescape = Forgotten Realms

There is a planet, Toril, and the other planes of being that relate to it are the multiverse.

Forgotten Realms is the Borg setting.

It assimilates every setting. Even Eberron!

Resistance is futile.

Remove ads