D&D 5E The Gods in your Pantheon, Where Do They Live?

Werehamster

Villager
I typically play FR and have not thought about it. I like what @Crimson Longinus and @Bitbrain said about them being far away, but can communicate and send angels and such. My games have not had gods directly interfere since 2e and no PCs tried to go visit one since then as well.

I guess if a PC wanted to try and do something like this, I could come up with a plan where they live or likely a neutral place where an angel or deva would come.
This is what I'm working on right now. I'm devising ways to get the party to NEED to go visit a god. There will be something they have to accomplish to prevent a calamity beyond the help of mortals. My friends and I played for years and never explored these aspects of the game...even including dragons to any degree. So I'm working on incorporating the grand and majestic aspects of D&D that they had never experienced.

Bupp

Adventurer
I've just stolen Anomalous Subsurface Environment's Orbital Gods, and made them advanced AIs in satelites...in space!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While there have been exceptions, in my D&D games the gods usually don't "live" in a "place". These are not beings with a corporeal presence that you can visit if you go to the correct address. Mortals have descriptions of the homes of the gods, and of the gods themselves, but those are fictions and metaphors that might serve to help limited mortal cognitive facilities understand the beings and their relationships. They are not literal facts.

aco175

Legend
This is what I'm working on right now. I'm devising ways to get the party to NEED to go visit a god. There will be something they have to accomplish to prevent a calamity beyond the help of mortals. My friends and I played for years and never explored these aspects of the game...even including dragons to any degree. So I'm working on incorporating the grand and majestic aspects of D&D that they had never experienced.
My campaigns tend to end around 12th level. I would think that the gods are not needed below that but if the group wanted to play high level they would likely meet an aspect of some sort but not the actual god, more like a manifestation.

I actually had a game with an aspect of Auril in it that the PCs defeated. It was more a CR15 monster than having any god-like power though.

Rogerd1

Adventurer

They are essentially artificially created demi-planes attached to the material world.

Werehamster

Villager
My campaigns tend to end around 12th level. I would think that the gods are not needed below that but if the group wanted to play high level they would likely meet an aspect of some sort but not the actual god, more like a manifestation.

I actually had a game with an aspect of Auril in it that the PCs defeated. It was more a CR15 monster than having any god-like power though.
Yes, even at level 15+ the party would be no match for the gods I have. But I want them to feel the grandeur of where the gods live, and lift the veil of what true power feels like. I would use the gods more as an entity to connect with for a global catastrophic event as opposed to a direct conflict.

jgsugden

Legend
They once all lived on the Prime, but were banished from it by my "Uber-God" figure (who, in my entire mythos, has done a total of 5 things) when they began to cause too much chaos.

The VAST majority of them now reside in my Hell and Heavens planes. Instead of having a huge number of planes for the Hells/Abyss/etc... I have one - and it is infinite in size, with the 9 Hells being 9 regions at the 'core'. The Heavens are finite in size, there are 7 regions to them, and that results in a limit to the number of souls that can be there. These two replace the majority of the Great Wheel Cosmology's proliferation of planes.

I also have Gods living within the Astral Sea (Sardior, the Lady of Pain in my version of Sigil), the Elemental Plane (again, I only have 1 elemental plane - the Elder Elemental Gods reside there)), the Shadowfell, and the Feywild. Beyond those, the Positive Energy Plane and Negative Energy Planes are worshipped as Gods (and have a degree of sentience), and on the Prime we have the Raven Queen, 9 Demi-Gods that are essentially voluntary Avatars of some of my greater gods, and 6 Powers from my version of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
In my default setting, the gods are all outsiders who came from outside the multiverse when it was created and live on pretty much every plane of existence. I leave the pantheon undefined and use whatever gods the players decide their characters worship or in which they believe. If there's lore attached to the god regarding where they live, I generally use that or work with the player's concept of the god.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems that most people use "grand, cosmic force gods" as opposed to lots of "little" gods.

A couple of my campaigns have run with something more like "small gods". The non-corporeal nature I usually use held then, too, though. This isn't about their size, so much as the nature of the spiritual, sacred, or divine.

Remove ads