• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Conjunction (RPG DESIGN CONTEST)

Halivar

First Post
I know for a fact that there are ideas I will not be able to fit in: for instance, turning Vitality mana pools into Undeath pools for Necromancy. It simply won't fit. My plan is to submit without (except for monsters and NPC's that have Undeath pools), and publish an expanded, larger version of the game later that opens these options up to players.

EP

First Post
I guess what I'm asking for is if we risk losing "points" because of insufficient material. If we're detailing new material for a new system and don't cover every single base within those 50 pages, are we being marked for the basic concept or being held to par with how perfect and detailed the material is?

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I am assuming that as long as the game you are presenting is playable etc. it is complete. It sounds like the basic suit is all that is truly needed, so that should be the only thing you need to include. Even then only the basics are really necessary (suit allows the "magic"). I know my submission will mention things like lost aspects of magic, but will not have it expanded unless I try to do some sort of full on publication, which to be honest is very tempting.

Halivar

First Post
I know my submission will mention things like lost aspects of magic, but will not have it expanded unless I try to do some sort of full on publication, which to be honest is very tempting.
Assuming you get anywhere close to the 50-page max, it would be foolish not to at least try for full-on publication.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Jack7: Good advice on writing! But it would be a shame if you didn't submit something for people to enjoy. :)

RCX: I hope you find time to finish. One of the main criteria was playability, so there should certainly be a selection of 'spells'. After all, the theme was Magic.

Everyone else: So far about a dozen people have publicly declared their intention to participate, but not all of these have posted a title and summary. I intend to start a new thread kicking off with the list of declared participants at the beginning of next week. Get your idea out there!

I've written about 15 pages so far. The theme of the game is supposed to be magic, so I'm trying to make the combat system as simple as possible. The weapons are barely differentiated, damage is abstract, and so on...

On the other hand, I don't expect every character to be a magician. So right now I'm wrestling with the system for mundane conflict resolution (skills, combat...) and trying to find ways for non-magical characters to have interesting decisions and benefit from some tactical depth.

But anyway... I have four types of 'magic', so I expect I'll need at least 12 pages of 'spells' for this game to be playable.

Ben

RandomCitizenX

First Post
RCX: I hope you find time to finish. One of the main criteria was playability, so there should certainly be a selection of 'spells'. After all, the theme was Magic.

My comment about completeness was directed at how detailed EP needed to go into the suit specs. I think that as long as the basics are presented in this treatment he should be ok. If he wants to go all out and make this a longer project after the contest then he should by all means include suit variants.

As far as selection of "spells" go, I think it really depends on how you are trying to develop magic. I am trying to go with a somewhat dynamic version of magic, so I won't have spells but will have some effect guidelines. The actual rules of magic in the world have changed very recently from the characters' perspectives so some things which they were able to do before are no longer possible, and some things which were not possible have now been unlocked. It all goes into rediscovering wonder in a world that had quantified "everything."

Wik

First Post
I've written about 15 pages so far. The theme of the game is supposed to be magic, so I'm trying to make the combat system as simple as possible. The weapons are barely differentiated, damage is abstract, and so on...

15 pages? Nice. I'm only at 8... plus a huge set of notes. Luckily, I've got the hard part done - the rest is the "fun stuff", making "Feats" and whatnot. But yeah, I'm going on the same route as you - gear is pretty simple, and weapons are divided into a few simple categories.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Ah, don't be intimidated! We're only 25% of the way through things.. I mean, I only have about ten pages of actual work finished!

If you don't have any big ideas, simply start with "If I were re-making D&D, this is what I'd do...". And keep adding on ideas that you get. Pretty soon, you'll have a game figured out. As for mechanics, just take ideas from a few different sources, try to blend them so that it all makes sense, and go from there.

Of course, if you don't feel confident about it, then maybe it's better to bow out now. Still, though, it sucks to see you go. I'm sure you can put together something good.
Thanks for the encouragement. The best I can say is "I'll see what I can do"

Jack7

First Post
Jack7: Good advice on writing! But it would be a shame if you didn't submit something for people to enjoy. :)

I'll create a booklet, maybe a fully developed .PDF with illustrations (I hate not including artwork, though it will definitely include charts and graphs, etc), which I will make available to anybody who wants to review it with the proviso they do not disseminate or seek to publish, though they're welcome to take it and play it with their own group if they so please.

As far as selection of "spells" go, I think it really depends on how you are trying to develop magic. I am trying to go with a somewhat dynamic version of magic, so I won't have spells but will have some effect guidelines. The actual rules of magic in the world have changed very recently from the characters' perspectives so some things which they were able to do before are no longer possible, and some things which were not possible have now been unlocked. It all goes into rediscovering wonder in a world that had quantified "everything."

I've thought about this for a long time and I've decided to skip spells as well. So I'm with RCX on this one. Rather I'm gonna have magic (arcane magic) and miracles (divine magic) and people can create rituals, spells, capabilities out of that in any way they want, given a few simple guidelines and limitations I set out. I gonna try and avoid, as much as possible, telling them how to use or employ their magic, rather I'm gonna tell them what it can or can't do, and then let them do with it whatever they want. That's the way I'm also gonna approach magic.

And I'm gonna have divine magic controlled by God, rather than the cleric. The cleric will be the instrument of the miracle and inform how it manifests itself, but cannot "control" it. On the other hand (with both forms of magic) I'm working on a system that will hopefully allow most every individual character (and player) to greatly influence the way magic works based upon their own character and nature. That is to say, if I can pull it off, and I've got a few ideas, Wizards will be Wizards based upon how they approach magic, and Mages will be Mages based upon how they approach magic, but no two Mages, or no two Wizards will be alike in how they "express magic." The same for clerics, monks and hermits. If it works that is.

I'm shooting for magic not to be a technical science (as in recent games) but a psychological art (and a dangerous, sometimes almost spurious one) arising from what people can imagine and what their natures are like. As a matter of fact I'm hoping to devise a system in which the more powerfully you express your magic the more dangerous and uncontrollable it becomes.

I'm also trying to devise some peculiar magical items, artifacts, and relics that will likewise be more "open-ended" when it comes to how one can employ them and what they can do magically. I've thought about including static, experimental forms of magic too, like alchemy, but I think that things like Alchemy will be proto-science instead and will be expressed through item creation and technological achievements (which Wizards will be good at).

On the other hand, I don't expect every character to be a magician. So right now I'm wrestling with the system for mundane conflict resolution (skills, combat...) and trying to find ways for non-magical characters to have interesting decisions and benefit from some tactical depth.

One thing I've thought about (and have pursued) is integrating combat and magic so that both function in a conflict in exactly the same way. A magician can duel another magician, or fight against a whole party in a tactical skirmish, a fighter can fight another fighter, and a fighter can fight a magician, and it will all (dependent upon the particular details) function in just about the same way. And hopefully fluidly and rapidly. Because one roll will determine whether you strike in combat, where on the body, and exactly how much damage you do to both the target and their armor, all at the same time.

And, indeed I have no idea how I'm gonna do this just yet, but I'm gonna have a system that somehow integrates and overlaps magic and heroism, and which encourages heroism (though I more or less know how to do this) in play.

The best I can say is "I'll see what I can do"

Try LX, and see what ya get. At worst you can always have the skeleton of a work you can develop later.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads