• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Conjunction (RPG DESIGN CONTEST)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, I plan to start reading entries later today. A fair warning, though — I'm heavily medicated at the time and wilol be going in for some blood work over the next few weeks, so that may effect the speed of my evaluation.

Wik

First Post
Looking forward to getting this thing done, chief. I'm doing the final touch-ups on my game. I should have it in fairly late on saturday, though. Keep in mind that I'm on Pacific Time, so there is the possibility it could come in after "midnight" in someone else's time zone.

I'll be submitting it as PDF.

twistnack

Explorer
Deep Black

Here’s the Great Conjunction edition of Deep Black for your consideration. In this game you play ex-CIA spies that have gained magic powers after participating in a government run experiment. It’s a mix of espionage, crime drama, and surrealism. It’s also something I wouldn’t have done if not for this contest.

This game would have been very different if I hadn’t of listened to the episode of Have Games, Will Travel on Stick, which directed me to Vincent Baker’s In a Wicked Age. I also owe the people that helped me playtest the game, and the people that gave me notes on the manuscript a debt of gratitude.

I hope people enjoy it.

Attachments

• Deep Black GC edition.pdf
    711.1 KB · Views: 86

Jack7

First Post
I'll study Deep Black in more detail later on Twist, but I already like the idea and the presentation. And the simplicity and efficiency of the layout.

It vaguely reminds me of altered reality/perception and remote viewing experiments.

twistnack

Explorer
I'll study Deep Black in more detail later on Twist, but I already like the idea and the presentation. And the simplicity and efficiency of the layout.

It vaguely reminds me of altered reality/perception and remote viewing experiments.

Thanks.

I was thinking about those old studies into remote viewing and psychic phenomenon when I started working on the project. I have this great book Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain that probably should have reread while I was working on the game.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, I wound up too busy with other obligations and distractions (like buying a few video games on the cheap that I had been looking for since this X-Mas or last X-Mas), so I never got around to typing up more than an outline for my idea, though I spent several mroe hours thinking about it and brainstorming. Oh well.

Wik

First Post
Well, here's my entry. I gotta say, it felt real nice when I finished it. It's actually about 48 pages if it hadn't been set in columns, but I always thought columns looked nicer. There was a lot I wanted to put in but couldn't (Psychic storms, more enclaves, some info on ruined cities beyond the hints I gave, more monsters, a whole slew of GM advice and random tables, a survival-based "random events" rules system, a pre-made adventure, more skills, more powers....). I just didn't have space or time, and two weeks ago, I realized I had to focus on getting the core game finished.

I learned a lot doing this, and I'm thinking I'll now go over my game, clean some things up, and really expand upon it. I had a lot of fun in this competition, and I think it'd be fun to make this an annual thing. Hell, I'd be interested in trying out one of those 24 hour RPG design games... or, better yet, a one-week design. I'd love to do another one of these a few months down the road!

So, here's my game. Any and all feedback welcome.

Attachments

• Awakening - Final Copy.pdf
    523.1 KB · Views: 114

fuindordm

Adventurer
The Jewel of Virtue

Well here's my entry. I only got about 2/3 of the way through it, and there are a lot of ideas in my head that I never got down on paper. But a lot of the core is there, and I'm pretty happy with what I've written.

The really gaping hole is a standard method for character advancement. Oh, well.

At least now I have enough material that I'll keep working and finish the thing eventually.

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

• The_Jewel_Of_Virtue.doc
    390 KB · Views: 117

CardinalXimenes

First Post
I didn't note my participation in this, as I wasn't sure I'd have time to gin anything up. All the same, I did manage to pitch together a few ideas for a retro-flavored offering. I think the biggest lesson I learned during this was that my layout skills are truly abominable. If I do something like this again, I really need to devote more time to learning how to put things together in a clean, easily-read format like some of the other offerings that've been put up so far.

Attachments

• Eightfold.pdf
    370.8 KB · Views: 125

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads