• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Sidekick Showdown! Nominate Here

DonTadow

First Post
Ok, woke up this morning and am updating the list here. I did not add Darth Vader as I am leary of his sidekick status, however with convincing I'll add him. Same with if Sauron is nominated or anyone else whom finished in the top 16 of the hero or villian polls.

Today, I'll increase the max pics to 4 nominations per person today.

1 Robin: Tim Drake (Batman) --- The only Robin to best breakaway from the Batman shadow and show his individualism
2. Gabrielle (Xena) --- sidekick to Xena
3. Moonglum of Elwher- companion to Elric of Melnibone for the greater part of the albino's adventures
4. Daigoro- he infant son of Itto Ogami, after the murrder of his mother he choose to follow the Dark Road of Meifudo with his father and together they became known and feared as the Lone Wolf and Cub
5. Alexander "Xander" LaVelle Harris (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - Sidekick to Buffy Summers he used his wit more than his brawn to become a valuable part of the scoobies.
6. Jack Burton- (Big Trouble in LIttle China) -
7. Jar Jar Binks- (Star Wars) - Kids love him
8. The Luggage (from Discworld)
9. Kid Flash I: Wally West (The Flash)- Young Wally West helped his uncle Barry Allen, the Flash, save the world many times over.
10. Loiosh (Familiar to Vlad Taltos, in Steven Brust's Dragaera)- Because every hero can use a wisecracking flying reptile with a poisonous bite...
11. Subotai (Conan the Barbarian)
12. Chewbacca (Star Wars)
13. Rick Jones (Sidekick to Hulk and Captain America)- Rick is responsible for the creation of the Hulk and the formation of the Avengers, and has been sidekick to both the Hulk and Captain America.
14. Cassandra Cain - (Batgirl #2)- Cassandra was raised (by the hitman David Cain) to be a perfect killer, to read people's movements as if they were spoken words.
15. Gimli- (Lord of the Rings)
16. Ron Weasley (Harry Potter) - Ron has risen above every obstacle in his path to become a true friend to Harry Potter, and a valuable ally in the fight against the forces of evil (or the opposing Quidditch team).
17. Sallah (Indian Jones) - A longtime friend of Indiana Jones, Sallah lives in Egypt with his family.
18. Arthur (The Tick) -
19. Kimishima Kunihiko (from the anime series s-CRY-ed) - An ordinary man in a world of people with strange powers, he's often relegated to the role of "getaway driver"
20. Nodwick. (Nodwick) - Despite being the title character, Nodwick is the henchman for the adventuring party
10. Loiosh (Familiar to Vlad Taltos, in Steven Brust's Dragaera)- Because every hero can use a wisecracking flying reptile with a poisonous bite...
11. Subotai (Conan the Barbarian)
12. Chewbacca (Star Wars)
13. Rick Jones (Sidekick to Hulk and Captain America)- Rick is responsible for the creation of the Hulk and the formation of the Avengers, and has been sidekick to both the Hulk and Captain America.
14. Cassandra Cain - (Batgirl #2)- Cassandra was raised (by the hitman David Cain) to be a perfect killer, to read people's movements as if they were spoken words.
15. Gimli- (Lord of the Rings)
16. Ron Weasley (Harry Potter) - Ron has risen above every obstacle in his path to become a true friend to Harry Potter, and a valuable ally in the fight against the forces of evil (or the opposing Quidditch team).
17. Sallah (Indian Jones) - A longtime friend of Indiana Jones, Sallah lives in Egypt with his family.
18. Arthur (The Tick) -
19. Kimishima Kunihiko (from the anime series s-CRY-ed) - An ordinary man in a world of people with strange powers, he's often relegated to the role of "getaway driver"
20. Nodwick. (Nodwick) - Despite being the title character, Nodwick is the henchman for the adventuring party
21 Ron Stoppable (Kim Possible)- Kim Possible's best friend (boyfriend?) and sidekick.
22. Barney Fife (Andy Griffon)- In the small town of Mayberry, Barney is Andy Taylor's sidekick and deputy.
23. The Red Archer - (???) Another sidekick of Elric's
24. Kato (Green Hornet) - Kato basically fought everybody for the Green Hornet and drove him around.
25. Robin: Dick Grayson (Batman, DC Universe) - Batman's first sidekick came into his own under the dark knight.
26. Kaylee (Firefly) - Cheerful, energetic Kaylee (full name, Kaywinnit Lee Frye) is Serenity's ace mechanic, a tomboy who accepts anything the universe throws at her with a smile and a bounce.
27. Willow (Buffyverse)- First the computer geek whom figured everything out and then the powerful lesbian witch, Willow stood in the shadows for most seasons.
28. Harlene Quinzelle aka Harley Quinn (DC Universe)- The Joker's moll and frequent accomplice, Harley Quinn, is almost as unpredictable and deadly as her infamous boss.
29. Shego (from Kim Possible)- She's also a sarcastic, violent smart-mouth who enjoys being snide to Dr. Drakken and fighting Kim Possible.
30. Mushroom (Mt. Zogon) - Galeena's mushroom from Mt. Zogon.
31. Bupu the Gully Dwarf (Dragonlance) - Probably the smartest Gully Dwarf ever, Bupu fell in love with Raistlin Majere, okay, so she did SOME dumb things, because of a spell.
32. Minsc (Baldur's Gate) - This hulking warrior from Rashemen becomes involved in the Bhaalspawn saga, an incident that will forever change the Forgotten Realms.
33. Q (James Bond)- He is the head of Q branch, the fictional research and development division of the British Secret Service.
34. Orko (He-Man)-"Orko" is an inept magician from the parallel dimensional world of Trolla.
35. Gir (Invader Zim)- GIR is essentially a psychotic, stupid robot slave belonging to Zim
36. Grima Wormtongue (LOTR)- As a intelligent and thoughtful individual he didn't really feel at home in society of barbarians that inhabited Rohan.
37. Mr. Spock (Star Trek, The Original Series)- Spock is the son of the Vulcan ambassador Sarek and his human wife Amanda Grayson.
38. R2-d2 (Star Wars) - R2-D2 was the droid sidekick to both the hero and the anti-hero of the Star Wars saga (okay, so he was a sidekick for Anakin, not Vader). He is the droid version of Nodwick.
39. Silver Surfer - (Marvel Universe, servent of galactus) - Born Norrin Radd on the idyllic planet Zenn-La, he volunteered to serve the planet-eating entity Galactus, who travels the universe looking for energy-rich planets to consume, to save his homeworld.]

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
AFter comparing the negative and positive feedback. I've decided not to let Vader in. There are more nos than yes's. See Steve's reasoning which pretty much sums up the decision.

Last edited:

Why did you agree to Vader DonTadow? He is iconic villain, second most powerful being in Galaxy is in no way a sidekick.

Same with Silver Surfer, he is the hero.

In this case I can nominate Sauron(sidekick of Melkor) and Witch King.

Sidekick is someone without the doubt lesser than his Hero/Master, someone in the Shadow.

Last edited:

stevelabny

Explorer
i was having this argument with my gf last night. I just don't think Vader is a sidekick.
And its not just because he is more (in)famous as a bad guy.

A "sidekick" has a feel to him. A sidekick can be heroic, or villianous but cant run the show. Sure they might eventually evolve and grow into a true hero or villain, but as a sidekick they are missing that certain something. They are sidekicky. They have some parts, but the hero is the complete package.

Vader is NOT missing that certain something. Vader NEVER feels like a sidekick (not even when he's a jedi padawan)

Surfer feels like a sidekick for about an issue or two when he was first introduced, and quickly loses that. So he's a really weak choice.

You will also have problems with someone like Obi-Wan (sidekick in ep1, hero in ep2-3, old wise mentor in ep 4-6). He actually FEELS like a sidekick in ep1 so I guess he can be allowed on the list, but he's NOT the best sidekick. He's not even close. But he might win the "best wise old mentor" thread.

I really really hope a real sidekick wins this thread. Isn't the point of doing a sidekick thread to shine the spotlight on those who don't usually get it?

DonTadow

First Post
stevelabny said:
i was having this argument with my gf last night. I just don't think Vader is a sidekick.
And its not just because he is more (in)famous as a bad guy.

A "sidekick" has a feel to him. A sidekick can be heroic, or villianous but cant run the show. Sure they might eventually evolve and grow into a true hero or villain, but as a sidekick they are missing that certain something. They are sidekicky. They have some parts, but the hero is the complete package.

Vader is NOT missing that certain something. Vader NEVER feels like a sidekick (not even when he's a jedi padawan)

Surfer feels like a sidekick for about an issue or two when he was first introduced, and quickly loses that. So he's a really weak choice.

You will also have problems with someone like Obi-Wan (sidekick in ep1, hero in ep2-3, old wise mentor in ep 4-6). He actually FEELS like a sidekick in ep1 so I guess he can be allowed on the list, but he's NOT the best sidekick. He's not even close. But he might win the "best wise old mentor" thread.

I really really hope a real sidekick wins this thread. Isn't the point of doing a sidekick thread to shine the spotlight on those who don't usually get it?
Honestly, I don't think he should be there, but I didn't get anyone to tell me they didn't want it and i got two people who told me that he should be there. I see him as a villian, not the sidekick to papantine. But this isn't my poll this is for you guys so I have to listen to what I get.

However, though he's not nominated, I do see Anikan as a sidekick to Obi Wan.

Now, after some feedback, it seems that the nos have it, so I'm going to X both Soran and Vader from being nominated as they are more of iconic villiians. Thanks for the input.

the next count should be 40

DonTadow

First Post
40 Tonto (Lone Ranger) - Tonto was the sidekick of The Lone Ranger, the popular Western character created by George W. Trendle (in collaboration with others).
indian.tonto.lone.gif

Tonto's name means "foolish" in Spanish, but Tonto was anything but foolish and was portrayed as almost an equal partner in the Ranger's work (In Spanish, his name was translated as Toro, Bull). Together, they seem to be capable of righting almost any wrong within the half-hour time frame.

DonTadow

First Post
41. Penny (Inspector Gadget) - Inspector Gadget is her guardian and caretaker, though often she seems more suited to be his caretaker due to Gadget's clumsiness and general cluelessness.

penny_gadget.jpg

Penny - Gadget's "niece", although their relation is never specifically defined. Inspector Gadget is her guardian and caretaker, though often she seems more suited to be his caretaker due to Gadget's clumsiness and general cluelessness. In addition, unknown to any of the recurring characters outside of Brain, she is the investigator who is MAD's true foe responsible for foiling its schemes.

Szatany

First Post
Who can be better sidekick that a sidekick from "Sidekicks" movie?

42. Barry Gabrewski

Barry is an asthmatic kid having trouble in life. He lives with his father, a computer programmer, in Texas. Barry is struggling to get by in life, dealing with his rough school life, bullies, as well as his health. Barry's only source of enjoyment is fantasizing that he is with Chuck Norris. Barry becomes sick of getting picked on by the bigger guys, and decides to learn karate, in hopes of one day meeting the great Chuck Norris.

sidekicks_cover.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads