THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Aust Thale

Adventurer
VALE:
Vale, something nagging his brain since entering the room, looks at the threat emerging from the water, and back up toward the sun-like orb above them. Something Val the Axe conveyed. The room is a trap. A wise man would avoid the trap. And help others avoid the trap.

He snaps to, quickly summoning a spell from within him, calling on the Dwarven pantheon, hopeful that they are aware of this predicament.

Moving his hands to direct the spell, he summons an abjuration and casts it toward the sun-like orb, thinking to himself in classic dwarven fashion, "I hope that this works."

He directs Dispel Magic at the Orb.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Val snorts, "Aye, laddy, that's the ticket. If you can dispel the orb, it will be vulnerable to attack. I sense that it's a permanent magic item. Dispelling it will suppress its powers for a short time, perhaps only a few seconds. When (if) it goes inert, I recommend striking it immediately. Also, I've a hunch that if we can destroy the globe before it activates, whatever's inside it will be destroyed as well."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DC For Dispel Check: 18
Vale's Roll: 1d20+10: (29) = Success (Suppressed for 2 rounds, i.e., this round [round 3] and next round [round 4] and coming back into function on Vale's initiative count in round 5.)

Vale's spell causes the globe to flicker wildly, then go dark. The entire room is cast into utter darkness! However, Dewydd's cloak provides illumination, as does the glow of Vale's sentient axe.

Val lights up, adding much-needed illumination to the room: "You did it! Now one of you pigeons needs to shoot it or throw something at it! HURRY!"

KLEBORN: It's your turn! What do you do? There is a lot less light now, but you can still see well enough to fight.

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn, realizing his best course of action is to take out the orb, pulls out his bow and some arrows. He knocks an arrow and takes aim, hoping that each arrow is true.

OOC:
First attack = 26
second attack = 19
Third attack = 20

Damage if hits
first attack = 11
Second attack = 11
Third attack = 11

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Kleborn drops his sword and shield. (Free Action)
Kleborn draws his bow (As part of a move action)
Kleborn does not actually take any movement. (Full Attacks Available)
ORB AC: 5
Firing from unstable location (moving boat): -2
All three attacks hit, regardless.
Hardness: 5
Damage: 6,6,6 = 18 pts.

Kleborn hits the globe with three of his arrows; the first two skip off, despite striking it squarely. But the third arrow cracks the globe as it careens off. One or two more solid strikes like that will probably shatter it.

THALLOK: It's your turn! What do you do?

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok also drops Mirios and pulls out his Elven Strongbow. "I really want a piece of that snake, but first the orb." He draws the arrows and lets them fly.

OOC:
First attack = 18-2=16
Second Attack = 10, natural 1, missed it.
Third Attack = 7-2=5

First attack damage 7-5=2
Third attack damage 7-5=2

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Thallok curses as he realizes an important truth: the draw weight on the Elven bow he carries is too light. It occurs to him that if he makes it out of this underground death trap alive, that he should find a master bowyer, and have a bow made whose draw weight can accommodate his massive strength.

Nevertheless, both arrows from Thallok's bow cause the cracks on the globe to spread! One more good hit might do the trick!

GM:
Globe has suffered 22 pts. damage so far.

Just at that moment, the viper rises out of the acidic goo, and as the liquid drips off of his body, you see that this viper is made entirely of black, iron plates, tightly inter-woven like scales. Its eyes are two glowing, red gems, massive rubies to be exact, each the size of a man's head!! When Tam sees this, his fear leaves him for a moment, replaced by the look of a Halfling who is now intent upon salvage operations!

The viper hisses as it peers down at the deck of the boat; without making any further sound, it opens its mouth, spewing a cloud of poisonous vapor in a large, 30' cone, which more than covers the entire deck of the ship.

EVERYONE ON THE BOAT: Dewydd, Tam, Sylvar, Vale, Kleborn, and Thallok: Roll a FORT save, DC 18, to avoid the effects of the poison.

GM:
Rolling for Tam: (18) = Saved
Thallok: You are immune to all forms of poison. No need to roll.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Noticing the cracks in the globe, and also noticing the glowing "eyes" Sylvar decides to shoot the globe until it breaks, then fire on the rubies in the snakes head."

OOC: attack rolls: 35,25,20. Damage rolls:7,8,7

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
FYI: Distances from boat: Globe = 25 ft. away; Viper = 15 ft. away.
Thanks to the new changes I made to Point Blank Shot, I need to go back and retroactively add +1 damage to each of Kleborn's arrows. That means that Kleborn actually inflicted 21 pts. instead of 18. I need to add that for Thallok as well, thus he inlicted 6 damage instead of 4. THE GLOBE HAS BEEN DESTROYED.

Thallok's last arrow shatters the globe into a million pieces! There is an INTENSE flash of light, and a loud boom, as the magic of the globe is destroyed!

Sylvar takes aim at the serpent's ruby eyes, despite the difficulty involved in hitting them.

GM:
Breakdown:
Adjusted Attack Bonus for PB Range: 22/17/12
On a moving boat: -2
Called shot to the eyes: -14 (You didn't specify, so we'll assume right eye)
Total Penalty: -16; Trying to hit AC 26.
37-16 = 21 (Miss)
27-16 = 11 (Miss)
22-16 = 6 (Miss)

Perhaps because he was inspired by the globe's destruction, or perhaps even by Tam's attraction to the gemstones, Sylvar decides to shoot the viper's ruby eyes, starting with the right one. However, he soon finds that the motion of the boat, combined with how well the viper can twist and move, prevent him from having a good shot. His first shot is almost on the mark (missing by only 5 points!) but the other two miss badly. Sylvar instantly regrets the decision, seeing as how he could have easily hit the main body, had he been inclined to do so.

DUNCAN AND CO: It's now your turn! What do you do? P.S. I hope this teaches you guys a lesson about called shots; you aren't yet at the level where you can pull stuff like that off, unless you get VERY lucky.

Damionte

Explorer
:: DUNCAN AND COMPANY ::

When the globe shatters, the four some looks on in amazement.

Ebony: "What in the heavens?"
Lenny: "No idea lass!"

Duncan: Looks on at the struggle on the ship, knowing their way out of position to help. "Prepare for volley fire."

All: "Yes Sir!"

Duncan and Ebony swap their sword and shields for their bows. The twins for their crossbows.
"Aim for the snake! Try not to hit a friendly. On my command.......... "
The four take aim preparing to release their missiles.

( OOC Not enough actions left to shoot after swapping weapons. :) )

pavel-romanov-s2-092-final-copy.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases