• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
Visiting a friend who is recovering, and the lobby TV has the "History Channel" on. Erich von Däniken is on as a serious person...
I read "Chariots of the Gods" and "Gods from Outer Space", and could easily spot the logical fallacies. The books had only come out a few years before. I was about 9 years old. In fact I just pulled out my copy of "Gods from Outer Space" and the printing date is 1972. I probably read "Chariots" in 1970.

I read "Chariots of the Gods" and "Gods from Outer Space", and could easily spot the logical fallacies. The books had only come out a few years before. I was about 9 years old. In fact I just pulled out my copy of "Gods from Outer Space" and the printing date is 1972. I probably read "Chariots" in 1970.

I read this book around that age, from the history section of the library. I was very confused because (a) I could spot the problems (b) it was a book from the "grown up" part of the library, not the children one, so it MUST be a serious book.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Subtlety likely isn't the issue. See "Poe's Law."
Well, that's a round-about way of saying you agree with me.

"Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture saying that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, any parody of extreme views can be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied."

The creators choose to not include such an indication of their intent. They very easily could. Yet do not. They were happy to make money from the fascists for decades while only recently coming out to claim the fascists were misinterpreting their IP. In some cases, the IP holders are still completely silent about their fascist fans. They don't get it both ways.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

There were copies on our bookshelf when I was growing up that flipped through in the late 70s early 80s. I'll have to ask my dad sometime why he got them (he definitely isn't the type to believe that).

darjr

I crit!
@overgeeked
Oh and as far as google cache, your welcome. I’ve worked hard to get google to prioritize new posts going to cache without killing the site with crawlers. The new software has been a dream for that compared to the last.

Remove ads