• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's very difficult to ignore those bits right now. It's almost all the talk.

I don't know about you, but I am enjoying the rafts of analysis!

1uLi.gif

I'm just waiting for someone to bring in the Admiralty Law. Argghhhh... high seas, matey!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Sometime soon the form to reserve the cabin in the northwoods this summer will come through for our annual family trip (four + decades long tradition).

It used to be a pretty popular small tourist town with lots of campgrounds and cabins to rent. And then folks from the big cities with lots of money started buying out the campgrounds and resorts and turning them into vacation houses and condos. And instead of a handful of different new families coming to town each week of the summer on that lot, there was one that came up for a couple weeks. And that family might not have cared about the various touristy things scaling back and going away - but I wonder if they care about the decrease in stores and restaurants that can't support themselves when a huge part of the customer base is cut by a factor of 20 and aren't replaced when they go under.

It feels like it takes cultivation and planning to make good things last.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
but I wonder if they care about the decrease in stores and restaurants that can't support themselves when a huge part of the customer base is cut by a factor of 20 and aren't replaced when they go under.
Coming from a big city? Probably not.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Coming from a big city? Probably not.

Could be.

I always assumed they bought there because they enjoyed vacationing there at some point with the charm of the non-chain shops and restaurants on the main street being part of that. If they just wanted a cabin on a lake somewhere with not much around there are probably cheaper and closer places they could have bought land?

Ryujin

Legend
Sometime soon the form to reserve the cabin in the northwoods this summer will come through for our annual family trip (four + decades long tradition).

It used to be a pretty popular small tourist town with lots of campgrounds and cabins to rent. And then folks from the big cities with lots of money started buying out the campgrounds and resorts and turning them into vacation houses and condos. And instead of a handful of different new families coming to town each week of the summer on that lot, there was one that came up for a couple weeks. And that family might not have cared about the various touristy things scaling back and going away - but I wonder if they care about the decrease in stores and restaurants that can't support themselves when a huge part of the customer base is cut by a factor of 20 and aren't replaced when they go under.

It feels like it takes cultivation and planning to make good things last.
When I was a kid, my family would rent a cottage in a camp of rentals for between 2 and 4 weeks every summer. These cottages had electric power but no heat (just fireplaces), and the water had to be hauled up from a communal well. The owner died and his grown kids divided up the camp into three separate sets of rentals. One kid sold his three off to separate, private owners. We stopped going there when my parents divorced, in my mid teens.

I visited there about 20 years ago. One of the kids, now in his 70s, was hanging on to the last 8 or 9 cottages.

I just took a look at the area, on Google Maps. The name has changed. It's no longer listed as a business. The town, that was just a mile away, is now a shell of its former self and none of the businesses that I remember exist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads