• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Could be.

I always assumed they bought there because they enjoyed vacationing there at some point with the charm of the non-chain shops and restaurants on the main street being part of that. If they just wanted a cabin on a lake somewhere with not much around there are probably cheaper and closer places they could have bought land?

Speaking for myself, I only buy land to deprive others of the opportunity to buy that land.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also? It's disappointing that all of this OGL nonsense has deprived us of the opportunity to talk about the most important thing going on ...

Seriously, what is UP with US Soccer? That story took some unexpected turns, didn't it?

Sometime soon the form to reserve the cabin in the northwoods this summer will come through for our annual family trip (four + decades long tradition).

It used to be a pretty popular small tourist town with lots of campgrounds and cabins to rent. And then folks from the big cities with lots of money started buying out the campgrounds and resorts and turning them into vacation houses and condos. And instead of a handful of different new families coming to town each week of the summer on that lot, there was one that came up for a couple weeks. And that family might not have cared about the various touristy things scaling back and going away - but I wonder if they care about the decrease in stores and restaurants that can't support themselves when a huge part of the customer base is cut by a factor of 20 and aren't replaced when they go under.

It feels like it takes cultivation and planning to make good things last.

People in tourist towns complain when there's too many people; things get too expensive, and eventually people in the small tourist town can't afford to live there anymore.

People in tourist towns also complain when there's not enough people; not enough money comes in, and eventually people in the small tourist town can't afford to live there anymore.

People in tourists towns remind me of people who post on RPG message boards. Things are always getting worse. They're never happy with the way things are now. But there was some mythical time in the past when everything was just perfect.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
People in tourist towns complain when there's too many people; things get too expensive, and eventually people in the small tourist town can't afford to live there anymore.

People in tourist towns also complain when there's not enough people; not enough money comes in, and eventually people in the small tourist town can't afford to live there anymore.

People in tourists towns remind me of people who post on RPG message boards. Things are always getting worse. They're never happy with the way things are now. But there was some mythical time in the past when everything was just perfect.

"People complain" seems like a thing.

It had always been a fairly cheap tourist town.... and still is cheap if you don't want to live on a lake. It used to be cheap until the late 80s to live on a lake, and then it got really popular. A lot of the long time residents who ran the shops have taken several years to find buyers so they could finally retire over the past decade.

darjr

I crit!
Wow!

The F in fud is real.

Next to no one wants to come forward.

No. One.

I feel inclined to reward those that have.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Are there the equivalent of CC licenses where you can say except by certain groups or their subsidiaries? ;-)

Mmmm.... People in tourist towns depend on external factor for things to be better in the mythical past, namely the influx of people. I don't get that reasoning with RPGs. I felt, after playing 5e for a while, that the venerable, old-time, RQ was better suited to my needs... nothing prevents me for playing it. If something was better in the past, it is still accessible today in the RPG world. It's not like an old computer game that can't be played on current hardware, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads