• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

G

Guest 7034872

Here's what I learned this week:
  1. All scandals always amplify in the Social Media Age.
  2. No one really knows what's going on anyway, so don't obsess over it.
  3. Rules lawyers, apparently, are not the only lawyers we have on EN World.
  4. But point (2) still applies.
Busy week, comparatively. Last week all I really learned was that the lore of Baba Yaga stretches across time and distance in ways hard to follow.

Oh--and that COVID really, really, really sucks.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Screenshot_20230106_173904_rif is fun.jpg

So I used to be a lawyer (briefly), and my focus in law school was on intellectual property, and the last thing I want to touch with a ten foot pole is any discussion about OGL law here. I'm too far removed from the profession to speak with much authority or confidence, but too educated in the subject matter to not be very embarrassed if I said anything demonstrably incorrect. And a big free for all discussion of legal interpretation with lawyers and laypeople is pretty miserable even when you aren't in the third "sort of a lawyer" no mans land camp. And yet, at the same time, being aware of a discussion nearby (in real life or on the internet) about something where I know more about some of the pertinent aspects than many if not most of the participants and yet not then interjecting myself into the discussion goes against all my instincts both as a professional educator and as a know-it-all.

Truly it has been a banner week of not commenting in other threads for me.

There are lawyers who specialize in helping the small guys, but that wasn't whom I was referring to, sorry.

Thanks for clarification. Actually i think my understanding comes from my improper parsing of your sentence. (English isn't my main language). I was thinking that our hobby could find and fund a few lawyers (maybe Paizo, since they have the more to lose, but probably they can remove any left-over from the 3.5 times, so maybe another pubisher) to challenge the right of WotC to revoke the licence for past products. After all, our lobby have a few licensed lawyers who could even find some interest in doing something at reasonable rates.

I understand now that we were thinking of everyone suddenly giving legal opinion on the board :)

darjr

I crit!
It's like schrodingers community. Lots of folks can point to the leak and say "We are not participating" or "This is very bad" or "heads up". Possibly including folks that were in the NDA meetings. Which engenders a lot of "This is still only a rumor".

Do folks really think some of these companies would be doing these things on rumor only?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
It's like schrodingers community. Lots of folks can point to the leak and say "We are not participating" or "This is very bad" or "heads up". Possibly including folks that were in the NDA meetings. Which engenders a lot of "This is still only a rumor".

Do folks really think some of these companies would be doing these things on rumor only?
Admittedly, just FUD all by itself can be a pretty powerful demotivating factor. Especially where corporate-level lawyers are involved.

Remove ads