• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
GM: Ok, picking up from last time, the sector has been peaceful, and you are sitting in orbit, shields down, and the weapons system offline for diagnostics. A large warship appears at the edge of scanner range and hails that they have come to peacefully talk.

Player: Cool, how far off are they, what are they doing?

GM: They're still several hours off. The computer estimates the ship is eight times the volume of yours and now seems to have shields up that prevent seeing much detail.

Player: I hail them to exchange pleasantries.

GM:. All you get is static, possibly from their shields if they're heavy enough. While you're waiting you pick up an unidentified relayed message that a large ship recently attacked another cruiser. You can't tell if the specs they send match the incoming one due to the shields.

Player: No sense risking offending the incoming ship, continue with diagnostics.

GM: The ship will probably arrive before you're finished with them. A second message comes in, this time from an alliance cruiser, about the same as the first.

Player: That's fine, will be interesting to see what they want to talk about. You said a few hours? I'll still have time to finish the mystery I'm doing in the holo-deck before they get here, right?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
GM: Ok, picking up from last time, the sector has been peaceful, and you are sitting in orbit, shields down, and the weapons system offline for diagnostics. A large warship appears at the edge of scanner range and hails that they have come to peacefully talk.

Player: Cool, how far off are they, what are they doing?

GM: They're still several hours off. The computer estimates the ship is eight times the volume of yours and now seems to have shields up that prevent seeing much detail.

Player: I hail them to exchange pleasantries.

GM:. All you get is static, likely from their shields. While you're waiting you pick up an unidentified relayed message that a large ship recently attacked another cruiser. You can't tell if the specs they send match the incoming one due to the shields.

Player: No sense risking offending the incoming ship, continue with diagnostics.

GM: The ship will probably arrive before you're finished. A second message comes in, this time from an alliance cruiser, about the same as the first.

Player: Ok, you said a few hours? I'll still have time to finish the mystery I'm doing in the holo-deck before they get here, right?
8AJ0.gif

Art Waring

halozix.com
So I used to be a lawyer (briefly), and my focus in law school was on intellectual property, and the last thing I want to touch with a ten foot pole is any discussion about OGL law here. I'm too far removed from the profession to speak with much authority or confidence, but too educated in the subject matter to not be very embarrassed if I said anything demonstrably incorrect. And a big free for all discussion of legal interpretation with lawyers and laypeople is pretty miserable even when you aren't in the third "sort of a lawyer" no mans land camp. And yet, at the same time, being aware of a discussion nearby (in real life or on the internet) about something where I know more about some of the pertinent aspects than many if not most of the participants and yet not then interjecting myself into the discussion goes against all my instincts both as a professional educator and as a know-it-all.

Truly it has been a banner week of not commenting in other threads for me.

Remove ads