• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Hussar

Legend
When I hoped to live in a science fiction novel when I grew up, I wasn't thinking of dystopias, and yet here we are.
It's very much the "slow apocalypse". There's no "one thing" that is the problem. There's just a cascade of little things - low birth rate, work pressures, societal pressures, etc.

OTOH, it will balance out eventually. It will be painful as heck while it adjusts, but, it will balance out. Japan's going the same route as Canada - the writing is on the wall - and importing massive numbers of young people to keep the country running. Which provides a release valve for the pressures in other countries.

It just means that societies that have been fairly stable for quite some time are about to get seriously shaken up.

I do reject the idea that we're living in some sort of dystopia though. Things are still better now than they were before.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I do reject the idea that we're living in some sort of dystopia though. Things are still better now than they were before.
You clearly -- and wisely -- don't spend much time on Twitter.

(Seriously, though, yes, compared to the arc of human history, we are living longer and better lives, by any measure. It's just exhausting that so many people seem to think "nah, that's enough of that.")

Hussar

Legend
You clearly -- and wisely -- don't spend much time on Twitter.

(Seriously, though, yes, compared to the arc of human history, we are living longer and better lives, by any measure. It's just exhausting that so many people seem to think "nah, that's enough of that.")
Oh, I totally get that. Frankly it's why I find reading fantasy ... not to my taste usually. Sure, I game in D&D and I just close my eyes to all the stuff that would likely annoy the crap out of me if I thought about it for ten seconds, but, I find that I just can't bring myself to read fantasy much anymore.

Staffan

Legend
When I hoped to live in a science fiction novel when I grew up, I wasn't thinking of dystopias, and yet here we are.
1710669944569.png

Ryujin

Legend
I grew up on Tom Swift Jr. and was promised a lot more than just a triphibian atomicar. On the plus side, at least we haven't been attacked by galaxy ghosts yet.
I'm also not on a space ark that's headed toward collision with a star, the moon hasn't broken out of orbit, our organs aren't being harvested by aliens in flying saucers, and The Mysterons aren't making evil clones of us. I'll take those as wins.

Remove ads