• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Which generalisation doesn't have exceptions?
6c264e80-4a77-4fc1-90d4-1e9c0c1859a8_text.gif

That is technically an analog clock with weird hands.
No. You are being misled by youtube. The definition of "digital clock" refers to how the time is displayed. It has nothing to do with the drive mechanism of the clock. Analog clocks by definition have hands indicating the time. For once wiki actually has it right:

Some clocks, called 'flip clocks', have digital displays that work mechanically. The digits are painted on sheets of material which are mounted like the pages of a book. Once a minute, a page is turned over to reveal the next digit. These displays are usually easier to read in brightly lit conditions than LCDs or LEDs. Also, they do not go back to 12:00 after a power interruption. Flip clocks generally do not have electronic mechanisms. Usually, they are driven by AC-synchronous motors.
Weirdly, the wiki description of a hybrid clock is the exact opposite of the ones I've seen in a few professional kitchens, which displayed seconds with a single analog arm and hours and minutes digitally. Well, they did say "usually" there. Guess I've only seen the weirdos.

Hybrid (analog-digital)​

Clocks with analog quadrants, with a digital component, usually minutes and hours displayed analogously and seconds displayed in digital mode.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
My bedside clock-radio is a red LED digital one that I've owned since around 1990. It has a built-in cassette tape player in case you want to customise your wake-up call, and has to be the single most durable and reliable electronic device I've owned.

Remove ads