• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The internet tells me "regular" mayo is thinner and contains less egg yolk than heavy duty mayo, and extra-heavy duty takes that even further. Supposedly serious foodies use the regular stuff as a spread (because it's thinner and easier to apply), while the two other varieties are superior as binding agents for stuff like tuna , egg salad, potato salad, etc. Extra-heavy is the best choice for use in creamy dressings and for browning meat.

I feel vaguely disappointed that Alton Brown never told me all this with props while dressed in a silly costume.
J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and Michael Rulhman have you covered on the approachable food science point. They both have a lot to say about mayo. (Not so much that I've started making my own, but for the rare times I use it, I pull out a fancy bottle of Kewpie now.)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and Michael Rulhman have you covered on the approachable food science point. They both have a lot to say about mayo. (Not so much that I've started making my own, but for the rare times I use it, I pull out a fancy bottle of Kewpie now.)
Is the entire point of Mayo's existence to be part of Pimento Cheese?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It is when talking about boring versions like Hellman's. But Europeans who dip fries/chips in their version of mayo aren't wrong -- it's just that Hellman's has really ruined the rep of mayo on this side of the Atlantic.
Now do Miracle whip...
i feel sick flu GIF

Remove ads