The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
IPAs are tasty, I have nothing against them, but they're a bit out of season. This is the time of the year for bocks.
There is no season for IPAs, I mean they have hops down in NZ too! Though, they do need to be drank sooner than later. Like Beaujolais, they dont get better with age like stouts and porters.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I heard what you said, but then I changed it to what I wanted to hear, like you suggested.
Do not take this wrong--I genuinely appreciate the folks like you who write at length about things, here--but it seems like a sorta different thing to lose track of what is said in a 3,000-word post than in a three-sentence one, dunnit?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
There is no season for IPAs, I mean they have hops down in NZ too! Though, they do need to be drank sooner than later. Like Beaujolais, they dont get better with age like stouts and porters.
Also, hops can be preserved. Kinda ironic, since they're a preservative, but there you are.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Do not take this wrong--I genuinely appreciate the folks like you who write at length about things, here--but it seems like a sorta different thing to lose track of what is said in a 3,000-word post than in a three-sentence one, dunnit?
Yes. Yes, it is.

So to recap, yes.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Usually, I find that this happens for three reasons (not mutually exclusive)-

1. You ever get in a discussion with someone, and you can tell that they aren't listening to you, but they are just waiting for you to pause so that they can make their own point? Yeah, this is the written version of that. There's a lot of people that aren't really reading what you write, but are just looking to make their own points. At a fundamental level, what you wrote really doesn't matter to them.

2. Nuance and equivocation is difficult, especially on internet forums. If you have a post that is neither A nor B, people will often assume it is either A or B in order to disagree with it. It's just the way of things.

3. Some people aim at nothing in life and hit it with amazing accuracy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1. You ever get in a discussion with someone, and you can tell that they aren't listening to you, but they are just waiting for you to pause so that they can make their own point? Yeah, this is the written version of that. There's a lot of people that aren't really reading what you write, but are just looking to make their own points. At a fundamental level, what you wrote really doesn't matter to them.

I have run into a useful term for this - "reading to respond", instead of reading to understand.

2. Nuance and equivocation is difficult, especially on internet forums. If you have a post that is neither A nor B, people will often assume it is either A or B in order to disagree with it. It's just the way of things.

Confirmation bias is not just a thing. It is a big thing. With fangs.

British children's cartoon about a group of dangerous mutants who have been brainwashed into not remembering they have powers (pyromancy, super engineering, etc...) and are kept in an isolated fake Welsh village. The warden who acts the part of a firefighter is the title character.

(Does that sound right, @Deset Gled ?)

Three days late to this, but yes. I guess Bentley is a warforged?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Going through Disney+ and saw that the Black Hole was on there. I don't think I'd seen it since late 1979 / early 1980 when I had the choice of it or Star Trek. Wow... that, uhm, that part in the ending. Apparently my brain entirely suppressed that part. (I mean, there were lots of other things I had forgotten, but they at least plausibly felt like they should be in the movie).

Remove ads