• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

I miss when super-hero comic series could have a bunch of stories that didn't involve threats to the entire planet/universe/multi-verse.
I miss when super-hero comic series could actually tell their own stories in peace without continual interruptions from sprawling multi-title "events" and unwanted editorially-mandated crossovers.

Not that those didn't happen to some degree even way back in the day...
image001-14.jpg

To be fair, it's entirely possible that Lois' book was outselling the JLA at this point in history, so it may have been a sales booster for them rather than the other way around.

For the curious, the actual plot of this thing beggars belief and ties in to Kirby's Fourth World stories, particularly the Project Cadmus stuff from his Jimmy Olsen run. It may also be the first appearance of the word "Mini-Me" in print, predating Austin Powers by decades.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I miss when super-hero comic series could actually tell their own stories in peace without continual interruptions from sprawling multi-title "events" and unwanted editorially-mandated crossovers.

Not that those didn't happen to some degree even way back in the day...
image001-14.jpg

To be fair, it's entirely possible that Lois' book was outselling the JLA at this point in history, so it may have been a sales booster for them rather than the other way around.

For the curious, the actual plot of this thing beggars belief and ties in to Kirby's Fourth World stories, particularly the Project Cadmus stuff from his Jimmy Olsen run. It may also be the first appearance of the word "Mini-Me" in print, predating Austin Powers by decades.
Silver Age superhero comics are the best superhero comics.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Silver Age superhero comics are the best superhero comics.

I've read a lot of Silver Age Comics (including all of Jimmy Olsen and almost all of Marvel), but the vast majority have nothing on the greatest run of Avengers ever. Vol. 1 #164-196, Annuals 7-9, and Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2. (Minus the one or two fill in issues in there). Lead by the creative powers of John Byrne, David Michelinie, George Perez, Jim Shooter, and Jim Starlin.

1714847866226.png

Although, to be fair, there were some world ending threats tucked in to that run from October 1977 to June 1980. From the Avengers standpoint, it avoids the issues that tried to get the mangling of Hank Pym going (just before this run) and did for Carol (just after), and didn't leave Wanda anywhere unrecoverable. They're available in the Marvel Masterworks Avengers volumes 17-19 (although 19 also gets you 197-200 :.-( and 201-202 :) ).

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've read a lot of Silver Age Comics (including all of Jimmy Olson and almost all of Marvel), but the vast majority have nothing on the greatest run of Avengers ever. Vol. 1 164-196, Annuals 7-9, and Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2. (Minus the one or two fill in issues in there). Lead by the creative powers of John Byrne, David Michelinie, George Perez, Jim Shooter, and Jim Starlin.

View attachment 361311

Although, to be fair, there were some world ending threats tucked in to that run from October 1977 to June 1980. From the Avengers standpoint, it also avoids the issues that tried to get the mangling of Hank Pym going (at the beginning) and did for Carol (at the end), and didn't leave Wanda anywhere unrecoverable.
I was more of a X-Men and teen/quirky superhero fan growing up. X-Men, New Mutants, Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, New Warriors, Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad, all that stuff.

Chris Claremont’s run on the X-Men can’t be beat. Both wildly imaginative and utterly grounded at the same time. I don’t know that I’ve ever read better. It could also be nostalgia. But, to me, he perfected the superhero soap opera.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I was more of a X-Men and teen/quirky superhero fan growing up. X-Men, New Mutants, Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, New Warriors, Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad, all that stuff.

Chris Claremont’s run on the X-Men can’t be beat. Both wildly imaginative and utterly grounded at the same time. I don’t know that I’ve ever read better. It could also be nostalgia. But, to me, he perfected the superhero soap opera.

I have no argument against some or all of Claremont's UXM being someone's top pick for a run in one of the major super hero titles. Especially choosing either 94-142 or 94-168+God Loves Man Kills.

I jumped into getting UXM off the stands sometime after 142 and was with them for a good while, maybe not to 200. Somewhere after 168 it feels like it lost the thread. Claremont's X-men is of those runs (like Simonson's Thor and the Lee and Kirby FF) that I love, but is better in my memory to me than in a reread.

I'm not a big enough Spidey fan to judge, but it feels like there is some great stuff between 1 and 122.

There are some moments in the New Mutants I'm a huge fan of, and there are some great LSH issues too. Didn't do Titans, New Warriors, Doom Patrol, or Suicide Squad.

(And it feels like I should mention Claremont's Avengers Annual 10. Not enough superlatives for that one with the Golden art).

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Ah, was this really only last year!??!

Thomas Shey

Legend

Unless I'm confused most of that is usually classed as Bronze Age.

Remove ads