The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

My wife uses Siracha at every opportunity.
My mother used to get it from China Town in Toronto in the early 80s. There was no english on the bottle. She put it in everything. "Eat your dinner", "Mom, I'm 7 and my face is melting". I never knew what it was until I seen Guy Fieri use some about 10-15 years ago. But AFAIK up until 10-15 years ago you couldnt get it in the supermarkets, at least not around here. I use it quite a bit too. Good in hamburgers. Theres also Green Sriracha too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My mother used to get it from China Town in Toronto in the early 80s. There was no english on the bottle. She put it in everything. "Eat your dinner", "Mom, I'm 7 and my face is melting". I never knew what it was until I seen Guy Fieri use some about 10-15 years ago. But AFAIK up until 10-15 years ago you couldnt get it in the supermarkets, at least not around here. I use it quite a bit too. Good in hamburgers. Theres also Green Sriracha too.
It's a California product, so it's been pretty normal around here as far back as I can remember.

Yes, in Los Angeles. David Tran came to California and started a business as a young manafter his family was kicked out of Vietnam after the war.
I looked it up and it said it was a product of Thailand, dont believe everything you read online. I knew it!! The only writing we could read on the bottle as kids was Viet Nam, thats why we used to call it Viet Nam sauce. I saw a show on TV few years back about him and the company, pretty interesting.

Hussar

Legend
wut? wut?

I'm living in Japan. They've never heard of Shiracha. They wouldn't know habenero sauce from red paint. Salsa is occasionally available, if you want to call it that. Spicy sauces? Good luck with that.

Welcome to a country with like zero immigration. To give you an idea, if you went into fifteen "Italian" restaurants here and tried to order linguini, you would have zero luck 15 times. Italian pasta=spaghetti only. No ravioli. No lazagna. No torellini. It's spaghetti or nothing. I haven't seen Greek food here, like ever. I'd commit several crimes to get a good souvlaki or dolmades.

I am happy living here, but, man the food blows.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
wut? wut?

I'm living in Japan. They've never heard of Shiracha. They wouldn't know habenero sauce from red paint. Salsa is occasionally available, if you want to call it that. Spicy sauces? Good luck with that.

Welcome to a country with like zero immigration. To give you an idea, if you went into fifteen "Italian" restaurants here and tried to order linguini, you would have zero luck 15 times. Italian pasta=spaghetti only. No ravioli. No lazagna. No torellini. It's spaghetti or nothing. I haven't seen Greek food here, like ever. I'd commit several crimes to get a good souvlaki or dolmades.

You've ruined my dreams of visiting Japan 😭

dragoner

solisrpg.com
I have a decent number of Japanese follows because of my game, and they post pics of their food, it's interesting, though I think more about presentation, rather than variety.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
wut? wut?

That's somewhat surprising.

South by Southwest

Incorrigible Daydreamer
wut? wut?

Man, I'm sorry to read that. So you can't even find good Vietnamese food anywhere? Or Korean?

Hussar

Legend
I have a decent number of Japanese follows because of my game, and they post pics of their food, it's interesting, though I think more about presentation, rather than variety.
Oh, this is 100% true. Presentation is SOOO important here. I've had Japanese friends of mine turn up their noses at a roast beef dinner because it wasn't pretty enough. Granted, once they tried it, they were over the moon. But, their initial reaction was, "It's just all brown. No colors!" Presentation matters so much. Heck, that's why you get everything on those bajillion little plates instead of on one big plate like we do in Canada (usually).

Man, I'm sorry to read that. So you can't even find good Vietnamese food anywhere? Or Korean?
Korean's pretty easy to find - well, sort of. Japanese version of Korean barbecue anyway. Surprisingly little actual Korean food - maybe some (really bad) kimchi in the supermarket. Things like I used to eat when I lived in Korea though are pretty hard to find. IN the bigger cities, you might get some vietnamese.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4