The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mezuka

Hero
Complaining WoTC designers are ignorant or inconsistent when it comes to settings. Obviously they've never read TSR products written by design teams that didn't talk to each other and had no oversight...

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Complaining WoTC designers are ignorant or inconsistent when it comes to settings. Obviously they've never read TSR products written by design teams that didn't talk to each other and had no oversight...
It depends on their context I suppose. I mean, who's going to argue that, say, all the gazetteers for Mystara aren't consistent? But more broadly that was certainly true.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What’s wrong with ketchup on hot dogs?
Nothing. People just like to judge other people's (or Midwestern city's) food choices.
It's a metaphor for gaming preferences and intolerances, and it's been fascinating watching it take different shapes over the last few months.

From what I can tell, it started out as pizza and its various toppings being a metaphor for the D&D game and all of the different elements that people enjoy in it. This happened around the time that there were tons of threads on the forums about optional rules, changes to game lore, and new character options in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I think I started that one, or at least heavily influenced it, as a way to encourage discourse without upsetting too many people...a gentle way of reminding folks that preferences aren't facts, and nobody is going to force you to 'eat something you don't like.' (It's also a way to poke fun at people who absolutely cannot abide anyone disagreeing with them.)

The discussion then migrated to sandwiches when it was suggested that pizza is a type of sandwich...which I thought was a fascinating way of discussing that D&D is an RPG, but not all RPGs are D&D. This metaphor usually comes along when some major campaign setting starts getting traction in the forums...Dark Sun was grinding around in the rumor mill for the first shift in this direction, then it was Witchlight, now it's Spelljammer.

In the latest twist on this metaphor, the topic has shifted to hot dogs, because they are sandwiches in every way that matters except for their name--which coincided with several recent threads on "retroclones" and the next edition of D&D.

If there are any sociology or psychology grad students in the forum, I bet there's a thesis in here somewhere.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Great.
Now I'm hungry.

Okay, real talk: no metaphors about gnomes or monks or psionics, just some straight-up facts about hot dogs. See that Seattle-style dog, in the graphic below--top row, center? It's unreasonably delicious. Cream cheese on a bratwurst has no right tasting as good as it does. I didn't expect to like it, and I'm still trying to figure out how it's even possible that I liked it. If you're not lactose-intolerant, you should at least give it a try before you decide not to include monks in your campaign you don't like it.
1660840821236.png

Last edited:

Remove ads