• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"So when I go out to eat and have $10 cash and a $10 gift card, it feels great to use the cash on munchies and the gift card on the beer. But it feels really wrong to do it the other way and spend cash on the beer and the gift card on the munchies!"

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I got so embittered reading the negative, narrow-minded reactions to the One D&D announcement. If anyone searches my posting history, you would see I have been very much against a new edition. Now Wizards announces their plan and releases a first extensive play test and I observe Wizards working toward a refined, improved version of the same game we have been playing that will preserve previous character options and, at the same time, work to expand them. Further, Wizards continues to demonstrate commitment to play testing and drawing from the player base to shape what will amount to a refinement of the existing game.

The result here: mixed at best. Whine, whine, whine. And, also dispiriting, a bunch of people jumping on the "they're only doing it for the money" bandwagon, as if the designers working on the game do not deeply care about the game and are also invested in shepherding the game for which they have responsibility. So many people here seem so...emotional and, frankly, unintelligent: as if the world only exists in stark, polarized terms for them. Of course a company has a bottom line and Wizards contributes to Hasbro's stock value, but Wizards has continuously demonstrated a commitment and creative investment in the role-playing game community. I read very little acknowledgment of that in these forums.

Another gripe that I do not care to inflict on others (except here in this safe space): people complaining about changes to books like the three-volume format for Spelljammer with smaller books as if it is cost-cutting and Wizards is engaged in a unabashed cash-grab without nuance when Wizards has been releasing material for free for years...including a free Spelljammer pdf released just a month ago. As if there is not an at-the-table advantage by having a player-centered book and DM's books.

I think I am going to step away from Enworld for a bit. I have a feeling that I would not want to be friends with many of the negative, sky-is-falling people here. Oh well. I'll likely feel better about Enworld in time...which is why I am letting off steam here.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think I am going to step away from Enworld for a bit. I have a feeling that I would not want to be friends with many of the negative, sky-is-falling people here. Oh well. I'll likely feel better about Enworld in time...which is why I am letting off steam here.

So ... a few suggestions. (I changed my emoticon from a sad, because you're leaving, to a thumbs up, because you're right, BTW).

1. If there are a few people that are really toxic about the subject, just put them on your block list for a while.

2. Avoid threads that will anger your blood. Don't even look.

3. Feel free to hang out here! We all just hang out, have fun, exchange drink recipes, and make fun of Chicago deep dish pizza casserole. ;)

4. Try and remember that people will always initially react negatively to things that are new. And that people are more likely to talk about the things they don't like because the things they do like are a given!

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
3. Feel free to hang out here! We all just hang out, have fun, exchange drink recipes, and make fun of Chicago deep dish pizza casserole. ;)
Luke Grimes Frown GIF by Yellowstone

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
4. Try and remember that people will always initially react negatively to things that are new. And that people are more likely to talk about the things they don't like because the things they do like are a given!
I think I must have become calloused to this process after going through it about 3-4 times now. Imma try and make an effort to be positive, and when that fails, at least constructive and ultimately fair.

Ryujin

Legend
I think I must have become calloused to this process after going through it about 3-4 times now. Imma try and make an effort to be positive, and when that fails, at least constructive and ultimately fair.
"Right now, I'm devoting a great deal of time and study to that problem, and I expect to issue a position paper on that. A position that is at once simple, yet complex. Flexible, and above all else, fair... to every American." - Les Nessman, 1979.

Remove ads