• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I think I must have become calloused to this process after going through it about 3-4 times now. Imma try ad make an effort to be positive, and when that fails, at least constructive and ultimately fair.
My mechanism is to just fully embrace nihilism. To quote the famous nihilist philosopher Karl Hungus:

We believe in nothing, Lebowski. Nothing.

karl.jpg

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@Hatmatter

I set this thread up for you (and everyone else)-

Let's see how it goes! :)

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
So ... a few suggestions. (I changed my emoticon from a sad, because you're leaving, to a thumbs up, because you're right, BTW).

1. If there are a few people that are really toxic about the subject, just put them on your block list for a while.

2. Avoid threads that will anger your blood. Don't even look.

3. Feel free to hang out here! We all just hang out, have fun, exchange drink recipes, and make fun of Chicago deep dish pizza casserole. ;)

4. Try and remember that people will always initially react negatively to things that are new. And that people are more likely to talk about the things they don't like because the things they do like are a given!
Thanks, I think these are good suggestions. I will hang out here and in the new thread that Snarf Zagyg set up. It was a little hard for me to at first avoid the One D&D thread because, after having such skepticism about the announcement of a new edition last year, I was so elated when I listened to the one hour video interview with Jeremy Crawford and the One D&D official announcement, and having looked over the playtest material, that I wanted to run to the Enworld forum on the subject and share the good news with my fellow role-players. And then I saw such negativity, sometimes for "reasons" that were directly contradicted in this material that Wizards obviously put great care into creating.

By the way, I am definitely a thin slice, NYC style guy. I grew up in Detroit not far from Chicago and I found the deep dish version enchanting, until I actually had a NYC thin slice. No contest in my mind.

Y'all are great. Thanks for the support and for enduring my own kvetching with support and care.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
@Hatmatter

I set this thread up for you (and everyone else)-

Let's see how it goes! :)
That was so thoughtful, Snarf. Thanks!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I think I am going to step away from Enworld for a bit. I have a feeling that I would not want to be friends with many of the negative, sky-is-falling people here. Oh well. I'll likely feel better about Enworld in time...which is why I am letting off steam here.

I had a weird and growing feeling of unsettlement yesterday and when I opened up the forums today and saw all the threads it hit me, the last time I left ENWorld (for over a decade, save for an occasional check-in with little or no posting every few years) it was when 4E came out. By that time I was playing the D&D I wanted to play in that moment and didn't need to discuss a new or old edition ad nauseum.

I missed D&DNext altogether and didn't come back until 2019-20 when I ordered the three core 5E books on blind faith and started running a 5E game.

Before all that I weathered being one of the few 3.0 holdouts when 3.5 came out (I just did what it seems like WotC is suggesting we do now, took what I liked about the new "non-edition" and left the rest. Heck, I even adopted 4E second winds to my 3E games a few years later).

Anyway, my point is that every time there is a new edition or "not-really-a-new-edition-but-really-a-new" edition or even supplement introducing new rules with far-reaching implications, ENWorld goes through some upheaval and can be a hard place to hang out if you don't want to argue about them, regardless of what they actually are. I don't blame anyone for taking a break.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
One D&D is possibly the worst thing to ever happen, not just to D&D, but to THE WORLD. Its mechanics (which I haven't seen yet) are the WORST GAME MECHANICS ever to grace a printed page! It is a travesty to gaming in general, and a specific blot on the record of Wizards of the Coast. It's just sad that they have to COMPLETELY RUIN the BEST version of the game, OD&D / B/X / BECMI / AD&D 1E / AD&D 2E / D&D 3E / D&D 3.5 / D&D 5E (choose one).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Btw, since returning to ENWorld I have often expressed to a friend that these forums are the least worst option I've found for discussing D&D. I have not found any other community I remotely had any interest in hanging around the way I imagine I'd want to hang around (save for this thread - which is weird - Maybe we need to start a D&D-Pizza Discord just for the regulars on it :ROFLMAO: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads