The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
(I'm posting this here because I didn't know where else to put it.)

I'm currently making a DMs Guild product explaining what Spelljamming is like in the Feywild and Shadowfell (because the 5e Spelljammer books made absolutely no mention if that was possible). One thing I noticed while writing it is how easy it is to just take the various islands from Greek and other Mythology (Ogygia, Aeaea, Atlantis) and translate them to space in order to make Feywild Space Adventures.
That is seriously cool.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I'm honestly surprised that nothing like this was mentioned in any of the spelljammer products, there's not even a sidebar saying whether or not it's possible. Who wouldn't want to do space adventures with space-traveling literal ghost ships or stellar (in both meanings of the word) Domains of Delight?
Unless you have a good author who is really into the product (setting/region/etc.) working on it (like, say, Keith Baker for Eberron), it is really hard for Wizards to make a good product. I don't think they had a super-Spelljammer guru working that project, so it's basically going to be pap designed to offend nobody and fit seamlessly with the rest of the product line. Basically, vanilla. But you need other flavors to make the Neapolitan. It's why I still have hope for Eberron to turn into something really good. But you need a Spelljammer guru with a solid, sharable vision who can get the project underway, and I don't think they have anybody like that. But they have Ed Greenwood for FR, Matt Mercer for Wildemount, Keith Baker for Eberron, etc.

Hussar

Legend
Heh. it really is all about how things get interpreted.

Is WotC producing "pap designed to offend nobody" or is it producing material that spurs creativity in the community and allows the community the freedom to cater to everyone?

:D

See, I remember the old days back in 2e where it was TSR or nothing. You only had TSR creating D&D stuff and if you didn't like what TSR banged out for this or that setting, well, tough. There were no alternatives. Now? Now I can play D&D for years without ever picking up a WotC or TSR book. You could even with just the free SRD for the mechanics, build an entire D&D campaign from 1st to 20th level in a fully fleshed out setting without ever buying a book from WotC.

It all depends on how you view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads