The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mad_Jack

Legend
When someone uses an absolutely terrible metaphor, how can you tell if the problem is that they don't understand the topic at hand, or that they have no knowledge of the thing they're comparing it to?

Look at it from both sides of the metaphor, and see which way makes the least amount of sense? Maybe? No clue...

Hussar

Legend
discount their objections cavalierly or defensively
Meh.

Most of the objections are pointless and largely meaningless once you get to the point where people are screaming at the top of their lungs about how X is the worst thing in the world. It's all review bombing and shouting from rooftops. Unfortunately, those people poison the well for everyone else.

Don't like a movie? Cool. Don't watch it. Don't like the new TV show? Great. There's ten thousand other things to watch. Don't like the latest splat book for D&D? Ok, don't use it.

It constantly baffles me how tightly people will latch on to this garbage. To the point of pissing in everyone else's cornflakes in order to make sure that everyone watches/read/plays whatever they like.

Mad_Jack

Legend
It constantly baffles me how tightly people will latch on to this garbage. To the point of pissing in everyone else's cornflakes in order to make sure that everyone watches/read/plays whatever they like.

Quite honestly, seeing people rage so vehemently against something often inspires me to go check it out just out of curiosity to see what they're carrying on about, even if it's something I might not have otherwise been interested in...

And on a vaguely related tangent...

If you're really going to argue about the real-world historical definition of a "polearm", then if any part of the weapon is a stick and you hit the other guy with the end of it technically the damn thing is a "polearm" - but that's completely irrelevant because the feat directly specifies which 5E weapons it works with... :rolleyes:

(And I'm stifling my natural urge to be contrary and start facetiously arguing that a "polearm" should be defined as a weapon traditionally used by the Poles.)

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
And now I'm imagining a version of the WoD Technocracy that doesn't want hitech and scientific advancement, they just want mundane martials to shine ...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
A response I frequently want to give to some people, but bite my tongue because the mods wouldn't like it and honestly it would not even be all that satisfying even if they didn't care is. "You seem like you'd be better off keeping a blog about your stupid gaming worldview than posting here."

Sometimes, however, I think instead, "I'd be better off keeping a blog about my stupid gaming worldview than posting here." :p :ROFLMAO:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
That said, I had to be working towards a PhD (and then actually have one) to have the confidence to write about comics and other popular culture (and edit the work of guest writers) on my (award-winning) blog The Middle Spaces. I don't remotely have the confidence that I have the necessary baseline knowledge and understanding, or that anyone would care what I have to say about D&D and other games, to actually take the time to develop such a thing.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Time for some things some people may need to hear.

The Hobbit films are not nearly as bad as you think they are, or are being told. We all know it's not Lord of the Rings. Get over it.

Star Wars films were never really that good, but I still love the crap out of them and will continue to do so as I please. Besides, the Holiday Special already set the lowest bar so it can't be any worse. Get over it.

Movies should not be treated like comic books stories that go on forever. The MCU should have finished with Endgame. I'm over it.

I need to come out of hiding and start playing games with other people again.

Remove ads