• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The thing about pumpkin spice is that it's most famously enjoyed by teenage girls, and there is nothing the rest of our society collectively hates more than teenage girls and specifically the things that teenage girls like.

Also it's "Ya basic" not "You basic", nerds

seth meyers haters gonna hate GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Depends on if, to you, spicy means hot or infused with spices.

Zeno: What's wrong with you?

Achilles: Oh, that ketchup is too spicy!

Zeno: What ... are ... you ... talking about? Do you need me to slather your hot dog with some Hellman's?

Achilles: Sorry, I just meant that ketchup is infused with spices.

Zeno: ............. screw the Greek Philosophers. I am not talking to you anymore.

Snarf Zagyg

The thing about pumpkin spice is that it's most famously enjoyed by teenage girls, and there is nothing the rest of our society collectively hates more than teenage girls and specifically the things that teenage girls like.

Naw. First, it's not teenage girls that are the primary enablers of pumpkin spice.

Second, some of us hate it because it's taking away from decorative gourd season.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The thing about pumpkin spice is that it's most famously enjoyed by teenage, college, and college-educated girls/women, and there is nothing the rest of our society collectively hates more than teenage girls and specifically the things that teenage girls like.
Made an update since it's way past teenage girls.
Basically, the groups that seem to like pumpkin spice the most are the easiest targets without consequence. Not powerful enough to squelch being targeted, not oppressed enough to be reflexively defended.

Snarf Zagyg

Made an update since it's way past teenage girls.
Basically, the groups that seem to like pumpkin spice the most are the easiest targets without consequence. Not powerful enough to squelch being targeted, not oppressed enough to be reflexively defended.

Look, we really really REALLY need to stop making everything some sort of "punching up/punching down" bizzare thing.

Do you know what the actual demographics are? Do you want to know?

Pumpkin spice is OVER-REPRESENTED by male buyers (for example, they make up 47% of PSL buyers, which is almost half, but is much more than the 37% of regular lattes that they normally buy).

What about age? 45% of purchasers of PSL are 45% are older- in fact, because they are more expensive, it skews to an older and wealthier demographic (not teenagers).

(This is as of 2019)

So yeah- as fun as this might be, maybe let's not do this? Also let's not characterize how women drink and make choices incorrectly?

Sometimes a Seasonal Beverage that gets overrepresented in culture and then gets a backlash is just a seasonal beverage with a backlash.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I had a pumpkin spice stout a while ago. It wasn't the worst beer I've ever had.

EDIT: It's still out there, for all who are interested. Pumpkin Spice Yeti by Great Divide Brewing.

And I'm a big fan of pumpkin spice pancakes: just stir in a spoonful of The Spice to your favorite pancake batter. If you wanna be extra, you can swap a bit of pumpkin puree or applesauce for some of the buttermilk, too.

View attachment 263696
Now you're livin'.
I've had a lot of pumpkin beers, few of them are good. Though, when its good, I really enjoy it.

My ongoing Pumpkin Beer Rating List (parentheses are the beer advocate ratings last time I checked for that one, ordering within category is by that). Categorizations subject to change. I apparently like the pumpkin spice in beer more than the pumpkin.

My Favorites (that I would drink any season):
Good Gourd Imperial Stout by Cigar City Brewing (95/4.26)
Clown Shoes Gordo (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Warlock (89/3.99)
King Don's Pumpkin Ale by Catawba (86/3.82)

Solid Pumpkin Choice:
Elysian Great Pumpkin (92/4.13)
Great Divide Pumpkin Spice Yeti (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Pumking (90/4.05)
Southern Tier Pumking Nitro (90/4.01)
Elysian Night Owl (88/3.95)
Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale (87/3.85)
Sycamore Pumpkin Latte Blonde (87/3.83)
Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin by New Belgium (84/3.77)
Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale (84/3.71)
Pumpkin Blaster by Sugar Creek (-/-)

Drinkable:
Elysian Dark O' The Moon (88/3.94)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (87/3.89)
UFO Journey to Planet Pumpkin! (82/3.6)
Brooklyn Brewery Post Road Pumpkin Ale (79/3.46)

Pass:
Elysian Punkuccino (92/4.14)
Gordgeous by NoDa (88/3.94)
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (88/3.92)
Samuel Adams Jack-O Pumpkin Ale (74/3.20)
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (70/3.02)

No Rating (IPA, Sour, or way HiGrav):
Kickin' Knowledge Milkshake Pumpkin by Barrier Brewing (91/4.17) <- was expecting a stout... I need to read cans better!
Avery Brewing Rumpkin (91/4.08) <- wow that's boozy
Pumpkin Kerfuffle by Prairie Artisan Ales (89/4.03) <- reminded me of a cider

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Meh, I just drink my Pumpkin Spice Whatever and ignore the backlash.
I don't give an airborne coitus what the barista thinks of my coffee selection.

Pumpkin-spice biscotti on the side? Don't mind if I do.

Remove ads