The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
Pretty true. I am generally nice, but can be far more blunt or snarky about things over the internet.

However, I think it can also happen when you have to keep that stuff in when doing your job. And when you are stuck at your home, and going to work mostly for over a year, things can begin to spill over.

I think just the general atmosphere of the world is starting to make everyone itchy. Even an introvert like me is beginning to see the limits of that added stress. I am often reminded of when I worked for a phone/ISP company for a couple years. Those became the angriest years of my life. I like helping others. However when both sides of the coin are pushing on you, helping becomes an afterthought. You have the business trying to squeeze as much work out of you as they can for what little they provide in payment, and customers are as you would expect when something is broken. Upset, and frustrated. Being there everyday for a couple of years really starts to affect you. I would get done and be basically unable to talk to anyone for fear that I would explode.

So I have see what stress can do to me, and I am pretty mild mannered. I am sure there are others going through similar things, and when you get like that, everything, every pass time, starts to look like a battlefield, especially when what makes you feel relaxed may seem under attack.
That last bit may be the most pertinent. Stressors can put you in a frame of mind, in which you're more likely to misinterpret what someone is trying to say. Add to that the fact that text is a very poor medium for concisely conveying emotion, sarcasm, etc. and you have a potential powder keg. I try to first ask myself if I would say what I said to someone if they were standing right in front of me, before committing to the < ENTER > key. The obvious inference being that I'm asking myself if the listener would hand me my own teeth for saying it. Yes, I can be an arse (see above response), but not typically one that people would lay a beat-down on because of it as a result.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I do that. I have autism, and don't have great social skills (reading the room, gestures, etc), which makes it difficult to communicate in person. I prefer communicating online, because it's easier for me to get my point across through text than speech.
That's fascinating. Most people completely screw up communicating on the internet. (I think it's because most people aren't very good writers - even good writers can easily fail to convey intent by text, why would we expect bad or at least amateur writers to do it successfully?)

I am glad to hear that some people find it helps. Thanks for sharing!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That's fascinating. Most people completely screw up communicating on the internet. (I think it's because most people aren't very good writers - even good writers can easily fail to convey intent by text, why would we expect bad or at least amateur writers to do it successfully?)
I didn't say I was good at it, but I'm at least better at communicating through text than I am through speech. (I guess if most people are worse at communicating through text than speech, that would be more unique.)
I am glad to hear that some people find it helps. Thanks for sharing!
No problem.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I didn't say I was good at it, but I'm at least better at communicating through text than I am through speech. (I guess if most people are worse at communicating through text than speech, that would be more unique.)
I think most people are terrible at communicating through their writing, and yet here we are, expected to try. More of us communicate by text all the time, and there's a very fine line between communication and miscommunication. I think that's yet another reason (among many) that things seem rude here. We're most of us stressed, but even when we don't intend to share that, just typing things quick and short, can make them come across as mean-spirited even when it's unintended. I work really, really hard to communicate with respect here, and yet I've been called out for being rude. I can only imagine how I'd "sound" if I wasn't trying, far or less how I'd sound if I was actually meaning to be rude to people.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Sometimes, I think that certain threads are just edition warring by another name, but substituting vitriol for D&D / not D&D for the prior vitriol. Every time I want to post in one of those threads, I get serious Admiral Ackbar vibes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes, I think that certain threads are just edition warring by another name, but substituting vitriol for D&D / not D&D for the prior vitriol. Every time I want to post in one of those threads, I get serious Admiral Ackbar vibes.

I refer to such things as "Dichotomy wars". Pick a thing you can describe as poles, and folks will fight over it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I refer to such things as "Dichotomy wars". Pick a thing you can describe as poles, and folks will fight over it.

The internet is like the not-corpulent-yet Marlon Brando:

"Hey, random internet person, what are you arguing against?"

"Whaddya got?"

Remove ads