The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I have not interviewed in 5 years. Now I got 3 internal applications in. Any tips on getting interview ready?
If you've still got the job search description(s) around, make sure to frame your interview answers with the language they used in the job description

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
have questions ready you want to ask
Oh yes, this is key. ALWAYS bring questions to ask. Preferably questions that are both thoughtful and specifically relevant to the position (beyond questions of timeline/pay/etc.). Having no questions to ask is a death wish.

Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS within 24 hours send a thank you note to the committee.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, definitely read up on the job descriptions, have questions ready you want to ask, be prepared with relevant stats that display your effectiveness at your current job, smile, be positive.
If you've still got the job search description(s) around, make sure to frame your interview answers with the language they used in the job description

Good stuff folks thanks!

I am feeling pretty lucky since one of the jobs was actually closed to applicants last Friday. I met the hiring manager yesterday and we really hit it off. I have never heard of them opening it back up (mostly an HR decision) but after my boss told the hiring manager I was fully supported and that this was my "dream job" :sneaky: they made an exception for me to apply!

A couple of these jobs are with teams I know very well. I am totally qualified for them and could start immediately and make an effect. However, this one I applied for today is with a new team doing work I'm less familiar with but have the skills to do it. After so many years a change sounds refreshing, but also kinda scary.

Ryujin

Legend
Good stuff folks thanks!

I am feeling pretty lucky since one of the jobs was actually closed to applicants last Friday. I met the hiring manager yesterday and we really hit it off. I have never heard of them opening it back up (mostly an HR decision) but after my boss told the hiring manager I was fully supported and that this was my "dream job" :sneaky: they made an exception for me to apply!

A couple of these jobs are with teams I know very well. I am totally qualified for them and could start immediately and make an effect. However, this one I applied for today is with a new team doing work I'm less familiar with but have the skills to do it. After so many years a change sounds refreshing, but also kinda scary.
At this point my "dream job" is retirement and I can officially take full retirement in less than 18 months. Can't afford it but it's nice to dream plus have the, "You know I could retire at any time, right?" Sword of Damocles to wave over the boss's head ;)

payn

At this point my "dream job" is retirement and I can officially take full retirement in less than 18 months. Can't afford it but it's nice to dream plus have the, "You know I could retire at any time, right?" Sword of Damocles to wave over the boss's head ;)
Yeap, I hear ya. Actually one of the engineers I work with is a super knowledgeable guy, but is ready to retire at a moments notice. He is very short and direct and everyone cringes when he is on conference calls. I cant wait to enter that stage!

Ryujin

Legend
Yeap, I hear ya. Actually one of the engineers I work with is a super knowledgeable guy, but is ready to retire at a moments notice. He is very short and direct and everyone cringes when he is on conference calls. I cant wait to enter that stage!
I've been at the uni for almost 21 years now and yet I'm not the person with seniority in my group. There's still one person who has been there longer but he's younger than me, so can't retire as soon. My group is 7, plus our manager. Four of us have more seniority than our manager, who was an external hire. Two of us, who do the lion's share of the day-to-day work, can walk next summer.

payn

I've been at the uni for almost 21 years now and yet I'm not the person with seniority in my group. There's still one person who has been there longer but he's younger than me, so can't retire as soon. My group is 7, plus our manager. Four of us have more seniority than our manager, who was an external hire. Two of us, who do the lion's share of the day-to-day work, can walk next summer.
Im a corpo so seniority doesn't really matter. Though, I hit 20 years next month!

Remove ads