The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A person in another thread said something to the effect of "if someone made a show where God was presented as being a bad guy, they'd be cited by the Anti-Defamation League." Apparently they didn't get the memo that the Satanic Panic is over, and that the ADL didn't seem to have a problem with how the CW's Supernatural ended.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
A person in another thread said something to the effect of "if someone made a show where God was presented as being a bad guy, they'd be cited by the Anti-Defamation League." Apparently they didn't get the memo that the Satanic Panic is over, and that the ADL didn't seem to have a problem with how the CW's Supernatural ended.

The ADL only really followed Supernatural up to season 7, like a lot of people.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
'All models are approximations. Assumptions, whether implied or clearly stated, are never exactly true. All models are wrong, but some models are useful. So the question you need to ask is not "Is the model true?" (it never is) but "Is the model good enough for this particular application?"'

-George Box (one of many versions of the idea stated by him, this one from 2005).

Professor Box (1919-2013) was a member of the National Academy of Arts and Sciences and a Fellow of the Royal Society. He served as president of the American Statistical Association and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, and his numerous honors include the the (now) COPSS Distinguished Achievement Award and Lectureship.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
'All models are approximations. Assumptions, whether implied or clearly stated, are never exactly true. All models are wrong, but some models are useful. So the question you need to ask is not "Is the model true?" (it never is) but "Is the model good enough for this particular application?"'

-George Box (one of many versions of the idea stated by him, this one from 2005).

Professor Box (1919-2013) was a member of the National Academy of Arts and Sciences and a Fellow of the Royal Society. He served as president of the American Statistical Association and Institute of Mathematical Statistics, and his numerous honors include the the (now) COPSS Distinguished Achievement Award and Lectureship.
If it hadn't been a quotation from 15 years too late, that could have been a part of the Math 300 course I took at Beloit College - Mathematical Modeling.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"Well, first I imagine a huge amount of swirling gas particles. And then I roll about 10^56 d20's to see how they coalesce and move, and repeat that until I have enough to get critical mass to ignite as a sun and then see what planets and other objects form, and then keep going until I see if the orbits are stable. If the sun doesn't ignite, then it's kind of like Traveller and it just dies and I try again. That's always disappointing, because it takes a long time to roll all those dice."

"Well, first I imagine a huge amount of swirling gas particles. And then I roll about 10^56 d20's to see how they coalesce and move, and repeat that until I have enough to get critical mass to ignite as a sun and then see what planets and other objects form, and then keep going until I see if the orbits are stable. If the sun doesn't ignite, then it's kind of like Traveller and it just dies and I try again. That's always disappointing, because it takes a long time to roll all those dice."

Didn't Mike Mearls propose system to do that in one roll? It's a bit reductive, but accomplishes the same thing.

Remove ads