The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mad_Jack

Legend
Sorry this pizza isn't to spec. I counted one extra pineapple.

Well, you'll just have to keep recounting until the numbers match up...

With all this talk about playing with strangers I must be pretty lucky. My experiences have been mostly positive.

Sure there’s been bad actors but overall? It’s been pretty good.

Most of the people I've played with in public groups have been pretty decent, but there's often that one guy...

The barbarian who refused to follow any plan except to immediately charge the baddest guy on the map just so he could get the kill... The NG character who insisted that because he was NG that the party should spend two days bringing the surviving bandit back to town to hand him over to the authorities instead of continuing on with the time-sensitive actual quest (and who kept stopping the game to carry on about how "that's not how they did it in 2nd Edition)... The dwarf wizard who wanted his magical staff to have a warhammer head on it so that he could get into melee, refused to tell the party what spells he had (even though it was 4E and I had his powers figured out within two combats), and insisted on harvesting skins and body parts from literally everything we killed so that he could make magical items from them...

That, and blanket assertions like "everyone", "99%", "always" and so forth. It's possible to make a point without hyperbolizing or inventing fake facts to make it sound more legit than it really is.

Studies show that 87% of people believe that 99% percent of statistics are ccompletely made up.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Well, you'll just have to keep recounting until the numbers match up...

Most of the people I've played with in public groups have been pretty decent, but there's often that one guy...

The barbarian who refused to follow any plan except to immediately charge the baddest guy on the map just so he could get the kill... The NG character who insisted that because he was NG that the party should spend two days bringing the surviving bandit back to town to hand him over to the authorities instead of continuing on with the time-sensitive actual quest (and who kept stopping the game to carry on about how "that's not how they did it in 2nd Edition)... The dwarf wizard who wanted his magical staff to have a warhammer head on it so that he could get into melee, refused to tell the party what spells he had (even though it was 4E and I had his powers figured out within two combats), and insisted on harvesting skins and body parts from literally everything we killed so that he could make magical items from them...

Studies show that 87% of people believe that 99% percent of statistics are ccompletely made up.
60% of the time it works every time.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If you need more than 10 house rules to make a game work the way you want, you're playing the wrong game.
The flip side of that is, of course, that some people will only ever play one game, one way, and one system. So it's either hack the game into an unrecognizable mess of house rules to get it to do something it was never designed to do, or just keep on playing the exact same game in the exact same way...over and over and over...snooze.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
The flip side of that is, of course, that some people will only ever play one game, one way, and one system. So it's either hack the game into an unrecognizable mess of house rules to get it to do something it was never designed to do, or just keep on playing the exact same game in the exact same way...over and over and over...snooze.
Also, I suspect most people don't just add 250* houserules in a bolus. They add a few, then a few, then a few; plausibly after running into something they didn't like in the rules.

*--or whatever arbitrarily large number suffices for the rhetoric, here

Tomorrow, there is a strong chance I'll eat a pizza with pear as a topping.

I'll post pictures so you can call the poison emergency service if I don't post again after that...

Hussar

Legend
IME, I have zero problems with someone having a boat load of house rules. That's fine. It's when that same person who has a boat load of house rules then engages in a discussion about the game without making it clear that they don't actually play that game but a heavily modified version of it, which skews all of their perceptions of the game since it's been so long that they actually played that game they don't remember how the game actually works in the first place.

Add to that the unfortunate scenario where many people start house ruling without actually taking the time to properly understand why the rules are the way they are in the first place, and you wind up with a very confusing conversation.

Scribe

Legend
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Remove ads